Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
    It is interesting as I feel MSU does not get the in state kids we want, but find our help from Wisconsin, Illinois and other states. We get our fair share of Minnesota athletes but I think maybe we lose out on quite a few to St. Cloud State
    If this is strictly basketball speaking, IL is by far the #1 target for MSU especially after tuition benefit changes a little while back.

That, and of course, no MN kids want to go to MSU since they'll just get booted out for a transfer later. All of them :)

Comment

It is interesting as I feel MSU does not get the in state kids we want, but find our help from Wisconsin, Illinois and other states. We get our fair share of Minnesota athletes but I think maybe we lose out on quite a few to St. Cloud State
      I would dispute that statement from the fact that each team currently has 3 MN kids on their roster, and none of them are anything special. All the SCSU kids are from St. Cloud and while 2 of the 3 are very good role players, I'm pretty sure MSU wasn't recruiting any of them. msu on the other hand has 6 Illinois players while SCSU only has 4 but I'm hearing that they've already gotten a commitment from another one and one just made his official this past weekend. It will be interesting, I think, now that Monaghan has left, who will take over the msu pipeline to Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
        That, and of course, no MN kids want to go to MSU since they'll just get booted out for a transfer later. All of them :)
        I find it interesting to finally see that matt has to go further and further away from MN for his transfer policy to not be known by the hs kids. Serves him right.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
          I would dispute that statement from the fact that each team currently has 3 MN kids on their roster, and none of them are anything special. All the SCSU kids are from St. Cloud and while 2 of the 3 are very good role players, I'm pretty sure MSU wasn't recruiting any of them. msu on the other hand has 6 Illinois players while SCSU only has 4 but I'm hearing that they've already gotten a commitment from another one and one just made his official this past weekend. It will be interesting, I think, now that Monaghan has left, who will take over the msu pipeline to Illinois.
          I know scsu has lost out to Moorhead on a couple MN kids recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
            If this is strictly basketball speaking, IL is by far the #1 target for MSU especially after tuition benefit changes a little while back.

Illinois is a big Hot spot for football recruits as well.
            I don't care what state they are from if they go anywhere they should be ready to get benched for d1 transfers...best players play in my book

Comment

SCSU has more Illinois kids than MN recruits in BB. In football they have more Wisconsin recruits then any other state. MSU #1 state on FB roster is WI. Do not know about BB. WSU rosters have more WI and IL then native sons.
              Last edited by vikingfaithful; 10-02-2017, 07:34 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                SCSU has more Illinois kids than MN recruits in BB. In football they have more Wisconsin recruits then any other state. MSU #1 state on FB roster is WI. Do not know about BB. WSU rosters have more WI and IL then native sons.
                Roster breakdowns for the 2.

SCSU
                3 MN
                4 Illinois
                1 California(who actually grew up in Ill and spent jr and sr years in Cali)
                2 Wisconsin
                1 Denmark
                1 Spain

msu
                3 MN
                6 Illinois
                3 Missouri
                1 Iowa
                1 Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                  Roster breakdowns for the 2.

SCSU
                  3 MN
                  4 Illinois
                  1 California(who actually grew up in Ill and spent jr and sr years in Cali)
                  2 Wisconsin
                  1 Denmark
                  1 Spain

msu
                  3 MN
                  6 Illinois
                  3 Missouri
                  1 Iowa
                  1 Wisconsin
                  AU Breakdown
                  MN 3
                  SD 3
                  IA 1
                  NC 1
                  NE 1
                  CO 1
                  Australia 1
                  England 1

Rare for Augie to have as many SD as MN. Our football roster as always had more MN kids. MN has always been fertile recruiting grounds for AU. Academics, close enough to TC and a still a good size city. As Simple stated Kids like to get away from home.

Comment

SMSU breakdown
                    MN 6
                    ND 2
                    IA 1
                    WI 1
                    KS 1
                    VA 1
                    TX 1
                    CA 1

Comment

I've pondered the existence of this year's Augustana team and believe their success comes down to how well they answer the following questions:

-Will Jordan Spencer give us at least the illusion that he cares about defense?
                      -Can John Warren display his very specific set of skills on both ends of the court nightly instead of once every other week?
                      -Does Adam Dykman have the gravitational pull to create space for the guards/wings?

If none of these questions have a positive answer then this team could struggle to finish in the top 4 of the South. If over 1.5 of them are answered affirmatively then this is a team who will battle for a Regional bid.

Timberwolves thoughts I feel compelled to share publicly:
                      -Based on one regular season game Jimmy Butler might be the most over-hyped player to change teams this summer.
                      -Why do the Wolves play a single second of basketball without one of Wiggins-Towns-Butler on the floor?
                      -The Wolves should consider a zero point guard lineup of Butler-Wiggins-Crawford-Towns-Bjelica.
                      -I love the neon green jerseys

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                        -Based on one regular season game Jimmy Butler might be the most over-hyped player to change teams this summer.
                        You are so wrong about this

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                          You are so wrong about this
                          I hope I am wrong. The lack of offensive playmaking and defensive lapses from Jimmy was jarring after he spent all of training camp talking about "doing things right" and "working hard".

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                            I've pondered the existence of this year's Augustana team and believe their success comes down to how well they answer the following questions:

-Will Jordan Spencer give us at least the illusion that he cares about defense?
                            -Can John Warren display his very specific set of skills on both ends of the court nightly instead of once every other week?
                            -Does Adam Dykman have the gravitational pull to create space for the guards/wings?

If none of these questions have a positive answer then this team could struggle to finish in the top 4 of the South. If over 1.5 of them are answered affirmatively then this is a team who will battle for a Regional bid.

Timberwolves thoughts I feel compelled to share publicly:
                            -Why do the Wolves play a single second of basketball without one of Wiggins-Towns-Butler on the floor?
                            -The Wolves should consider a zero point guard lineup of Butler-Wiggins-Crawford-Towns-Bjelica.
                            -I love the neon green jerseys
                            One thing I'd add to this: Will the Vikes get any level of consistency from Steven Schaefer? If Schaefer steps up and provides starter-quality minutes, I really like the potential of a Spencer-Schaefer-Warren backcourt. If Steven pops in and out, alternating between 16-point games and 4-point games, that's a big load for Spencer, Warren, and a bunch of young/inexperienced guards to try to carry, especially with some of the returning backcourts across the NSIC this year.

Comment

For those of you who just can't get enough "Spice" in your diet, here is an article on how the Cody Schilling era is beginning at Mount Marty.

http://www.yankton.net/sports/articl...443a1d73c.html

Comment

Well ladies and gentlemen, Augie basketball kicks off tomorrow evening. If you had told me 4-5 years ago that I'd be saying, "I wish Mike Busack were still on the team," I'd've looked at you like you were an alien. Should be interesting to see how some of the untested guys beyond Spencer and Warren step up. Sounds like USI manhandled their exhibition opponent, but that doesn't always mean much. At least I'm hoping it doesn't mean much.

From what I can tell, it appears there will be a free live stream (http://www.glvcsn.com/usi) which is kind of nice. Don't know for sure that it's free, it just appears that it will be.

Excited to see the new faces, specifically Dykman from SDSU and freshman Matt Cartwright from here in Sioux Falls. If we get good production from Dykman and Marcus Asmus, as well as good minutes from Steven Schaefer, I feel pretty good about our possibilities. If several/most of those guys struggle and it becomes the Jordan Spencer show night-in and night-out, it could be a rougher than hoped for season. One way or the other, the season starts tomorrow. It's about time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X