Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Well ladies and gentlemen, Augie basketball kicks off tomorrow evening. If you had told me 4-5 years ago that I'd be saying, "I wish Mike Busack were still on the team," I'd've looked at you like you were an alien. Should be interesting to see how some of the untested guys beyond Spencer and Warren step up. Sounds like USI manhandled their exhibition opponent, but that doesn't always mean much. At least I'm hoping it doesn't mean much.

From what I can tell, it appears there will be a free live stream (http://www.glvcsn.com/usi) which is kind of nice. Don't know for sure that it's free, it just appears that it will be.

Excited to see the new faces, specifically Dykman from SDSU and freshman Matt Cartwright from here in Sioux Falls. If we get good production from Dykman and Marcus Asmus, as well as good minutes from Steven Schaefer, I feel pretty good about our possibilities. If several/most of those guys struggle and it becomes the Jordan Spencer show night-in and night-out, it could be a rougher than hoped for season. One way or the other, the season starts tomorrow. It's about time.
    Your team plays my alma mater USI tonight. Should be a good test for both. USI won a lot of games last year then fizzled in the tournament. Not sure what to expect this season but Stein and Rajala are quality players. I know from seeing Augustana the past four years the Vikings will be a tough matchup for USI. I always want NSIC teams to do well, but I'm rooting for my old school tonight. I think USI wins a very tough, low-scoring game just because it's at Evansville. Not sure about the crowd, they say last year's classic did not draw many people. USI wins it 67-63 tonight.

Comment

The late Coach Meyer getting a shout-out from Texas Tom on Twitter:

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        The late Coach Meyer getting a shout-out from Texas Tom on Twitter:

Two pretty cool things there.

Comment

BEAT USI!

Comment

My official prediction for this year's Augie team is that it will be the first since 2014 that wont win at least 20 games.

Having said that theyre up 22-14 with 12 minutes left in the first half.

Comment

Adam Dykman is exceeding all of my first impressions, very active on the glass and a nice array of face up moves in the post.

Comment

John Warren is absolutely swallowing USI's best guard, Alex Stein, alive.

Comment

Augie up 39-32 at the half behind 13pts-6reb from Marcus Asmus and 10pts-3stl from John Warren. Lots of good activity from the Vikings on both ends. Jameson Bryant looked sharp,without showing up in the box score, as a true freshmen in the backup PG role.

Comment

Augustana is totally unwilling to attack the hoop offensively and it might cost them this game. USI has been much more aggressive this half and drawn fouls and easy baskets as the result.

Comment

I haven't seen Levi Jansen yet. Anyone know his status?

Comment

Originally posted by Ole. View Post
                        Looks like Jansen is on the end of the bench in street clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole. View Post
                          I believe he had a another set back with his bum hip and is out a while

Comment

Augie wins 77-73. The second half was disgusting to watch with 23 fouls but Marcus Asmus (23-11), Jordan Spencer (17-5reb-6ast), and John Warren (17-4stl) guided the way to victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                              Augie wins 77-73. The second half was disgusting to watch with 23 fouls but Marcus Asmus (23-11), Jordan Spencer (17-5reb-6ast), and John Warren (17-4stl) guided the way to victory.
                              Great win Augie, though as a USI alum I wish the Eagles could have pulled it out. But it's a great win for our league. I knew Augustana would have a great game plan. USI seems stale on offense. Bring back that second win for the NSIC now!

Comment

Excited to see the Vikes come away with the win last night. I was only able to watch the first half, and I don't disagree with Augieholic's early assessment about the number of wins he's predicting for this year, but it was good to see us stay tough in the clutch against a good team that consistently reaches postseason play. Obviously huge that Marcus Asmus had a big game, as his consistency will be a big difference maker for us.

Looking forward to tonight. If the Vikes can come away with two wins this weekend, I'll be a happy Augie fan.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X