Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, nothing better than even more D1 coaches scouring the D2 ranks for players to poach. :)

Comment

That's the downside I guess. Those of us that watch a lot of D-2 basketball that the upper group of D-2's (MIAA, NSIC & etc) are better than the low D-1's and I believe can compete with some mid-majors.

Comment

Heading to Joetown to watch NW vs UMSL. Wonder if Tapp will be there since once he coached both teams.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by NWFanatic; 11-19-2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

Tapp is an Asst Coach for Maryville University...doubtful he would have time to come to this game. Just saw a pic Rosie posted...Maryville University played at UCM today...not sure who they played.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

Tapp is an Asst Coach for Maryville University...doubtful he would have time to come to this game. Just saw a pic Rosie posted...Maryville University played at UCM today...not sure who they played.

Comment

Maryville beat UCM yesterday

Comment

Former player for Steve Tappmeyer at Northwest Missouri Jesse Shaw is the head coach at Maryville. Jesse Shaw was at a time also an assistant coach for Tappmeyer when he was at UMSL.

Comment

NW hosting #6 Truman State Tuesday night. BIG team. Took down Missouri Southern in Joplin this past weekend. Really curious why HC McCollum hasn't recruited a 6'10" player to help match up with the Cam Martin's of the world. Puts a lot of pressure on our smaller guys to stay out of foul trouble. It's been since 2013-14 season NW had anyone at 6'10" with Dillon Starzl. Not too many before him. I remember NW had a talented 6'10" Russ Miller and I believe Mark Adams was 6'9" on that same team (1976-1981). Came to NW together. Who else over the years?

Anyway, NW will have its hands full with Truman's size. Will be a fun game and another good test for the Bearcats.

Truman State roster
                        https://trumanbulldogs.com/sports/me...ketball/roster

NW Bearcats roster
                        https://bearcatsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
                        Last edited by ZubCat81; 11-22-2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZubCat81 View Post
                          NW hosting #6 Truman State Tuesday night. BIG team. Took down Missouri Southern in Joplin this past weekend. Really curious why HC McCollum hasn't recruited a 6'10" player to help match up with the Cam Martin's of the world. Puts a lot of pressure on our smaller guys to stay out of foul trouble. It's been since 2013-14 season NW had anyone at 6'10" with Dillon Starzl. Not too many before him. I remember NW had a talented 6'10" Russ Miller and I believe Mark Adams was 6'9" on that same team (1976-1981). Came to NW together. Who else over the years?

Anyway, NW will have its hands full with Truman's size. Will be a fun game and another good test for the Bearcats.

Truman State roster

NW Bearcats roster
                          Really looking forward to this one as a measuring stick as to how far Truman has come. Obviously, Northwest is the class of D2, so to see how you stack up on that team's home court is always something to cherish.

Truman will start 6-0, 6-1, 6-5, 6-8, 6-9 . . the 6-9 guy was the GLVC player of the year last year, and like the Bearcats, four of the five guys on the floor at any given point will be able to shoot the 3. TSU hitting 48% as a team from distance this season and are 81% from the foul line, so the big guys inside can also convert. Turnovers have been an issue to start this season as they are still looking to replace a four-year starting PG who gave fits to teams like Bellarmine, Southern Indiana and Drury in recent years.

Bulldogs have recruited Iowa very heavily in the past 10 years. Jeff Horner, former Iowa Hawkeye guard, is in his 4th year at TSU and has done an incredible job.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
                            Bulldogs have recruited Iowa very heavily in the past 10 years. Jeff Horner, former Iowa Hawkeye guard, is in his 4th year at TSU and has done an incredible job.
                            Been following Hawkeye basketball since I was a 13-yo kid back in '65. Ha, kept scrap books. Loved Horner's play with those Iowa Hawkeyes!

Comment

Originally posted by ZubCat81 View Post

Truman State roster

NW Bearcats roster
                              Tapp always seemed to have a big guy or two. Ricky Jolley and Hunter Henry come to mind as true big men... both around 6'9" I believe and were used to score in the post. Some of Ben's early teams had a lot of size, but I think as his philosophy moved towards a direction more like positionless basketball, length that could shoot, he got more size on the wings, and got away from having true big men. He had an early team that had 6'9" Jake Reinders, 6'9" Dillon Starzl, 6'8" Grant Cozad, and 6'10" Kyle Schlake on it... none of those guys were stretch 4 type players. Bret Dougherty was probably the last pure post player we've had and he was tough and strong, but I'm not sure he was even 6'8".

I think going against good big men will be a real challenge for this team... having guys like the Doughertys, D'Vante Mosbey, and Hawkins gave us enough toughness and flexibility that we could cover some of that up. Like they have in the past, Dreamer and Waters are going to take a pounding against good big men this year, the difference is that now, we really need them to be good on the offensive end too.
                              Last edited by Alfred33; 11-23-2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Last edited by lleachieshusband; 11-23-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X