Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSIC 2021-2022

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by New Beaver View Post
    So I am new to the conference but did last season count as a season? [as eligibility goes] I thought not. I would have thought this would mean lots of 5th and/or 6th year seniors [and grad transfers]. Lots of other schools lack seniors?
    It didn’t count as a year of eligibility. However, not all kids want to spend 6 years in school, some are quite ready to move into the ‘real world’ and passed on their final year (or two) of eligibility to graduate and start careers. Also, not all schools had extra scholarship cash laying around or accessible to keep everyone.

    You’ll see teams loaded with seniors and many without any. Weird rosters for the next few years as it plays itself out.

    Comment


    • #32
      With rosters and schedules now out for most teams, I’ll give a very early high level Dragon overview for 2021-2022.

      Expectations will be high after the ncaa tournament appearance last season and virtually the entire team back. This should be one of the deeper teams in the Walthall era. This depth may present some difficulties managing minutes for coaches, but that’s certainly a good problem. Whether the Dragons can take another step in being competitive with top teams in country remains to be seen. A number of Msum players have all-conference potential, is there all-America talent on this team that may be necessary to play with top teams in country? We may find out early in the Texas tip-off classic.

      Sevlie is the only contributor from last season not returning. I will assume all 4 new freshman red shirt. Dragons return Baumgartner, McGhee, Irsfeld, Beeninga, Zimmer, Bergh, Kueth, Sem and Myren. Dragons also pickup Kaiser from uMary and Stanley-Williams from D1 Morehead St. What type of work did Hanson (was injured last season), Gastner and Hagen put in since last year to possibly get into the rotation? Likely to be some real competition for last few rotation spots.

      Like many d2 schools, an important question is always can this team find the difference maker in the post? Great potential with both Zimmer and Bergh. Will be fun to see the continued improvement of these two bigs. If more progress made over off season by these bigs Msum should definitely win some games. Coaches have ability to play big, small or somewhere in between. The different lineups, especially early, will be interesting to see.

      Even though last year was a very good season this team must continue to improve on both ends. Thought last year’s team struggled on offense, at times, toward the end of the season. Or maybe because they were playing a very good nsu defense during some of those times. One thing I’m not concerned about is effort. Many of these guys have been around for awhile and really compete. It has been easy to cheer for this team for that reason. I expect much the same this year.

      Comment


      • #33
        I really do think Moorhead will probably be the favorite in the NSIC this year. NSU will be good, but there is a lot to replace from last year's team. In my opinion, if Moorhead is going to keep improving they need Baumgartner to make a leap. He is by far the most talented player they have. I get the "team" aspect that the Dragons seem to strive for (very similar to the 2018 Wolves), however when the offense stalls he needs to be the one taking shots. Ian Smith was that player in 2018 for NSU and he was the one that took over during the run to the championship game. Last year, any time someone not name Baumgartner took a shot it was a win for the NSU defense. He is an All-American type talent and I don't even think he made All-Conference last year because he deferred too much.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Thunder View Post
          I really do think Moorhead will probably be the favorite in the NSIC this year. NSU will be good, but there is a lot to replace from last year's team. In my opinion, if Moorhead is going to keep improving they need Baumgartner to make a leap. He is by far the most talented player they have. I get the "team" aspect that the Dragons seem to strive for (very similar to the 2018 Wolves), however when the offense stalls he needs to be the one taking shots. Ian Smith was that player in 2018 for NSU and he was the one that took over during the run to the championship game. Last year, any time someone not name Baumgartner took a shot it was a win for the NSU defense. He is an All-American type talent and I don't even think he made All-Conference last year because he deferred too much.
          I think it’s one of the more difficult parts of the game for players and coaches. Balancing player egos…what sets are called, who has ball in hands, etc. is a big part of game. Forcing the action on offense versus letting game come to player can be tough balance. Having pg on same page with all the above is also very important. It’s a team game first and foremost, but not all players are created equal. Where do you have potential mismatches to exploit in any given game or possession? Does the team recognize these potential mismatches?

          Especially against the top teams…you do need to have top guys aggressive as difficult to expect role players to really take over in those situations. Baumgartner always been a very unselfish player, but he will need to continue to be more aggressive offensively for this team to go from good to great. This also requires coaches and players to be on same page as to expectations for all players. We have all probably witnessed guys that play more limited roles come off bench thinking they are Lebron. This usually doesn’t turn out very well. Dragons certainly do have other guys that can bring offense. McGhee, Irsfeld, Kueth, Beeninga, Zimmer all had moments last season. In addition Bergh is one of few players in the league that has potential to change a game with his defense and rebounding. Haven’t seen it much yet, but do believe it may still be in there. :)

          Comment


          • #35
            Winona has their roster up and Lo Biondo isn’t part of it. Guess he decided to pass on gift year. Don’t see this team having much chance.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Thunder View Post
              I really do think Moorhead will probably be the favorite in the NSIC this year. NSU will be good, but there is a lot to replace from last year's team. In my opinion, if Moorhead is going to keep improving they need Baumgartner to make a leap. He is by far the most talented player they have. I get the "team" aspect that the Dragons seem to strive for (very similar to the 2018 Wolves), however when the offense stalls he needs to be the one taking shots. Ian Smith was that player in 2018 for NSU and he was the one that took over during the run to the championship game. Last year, any time someone not name Baumgartner took a shot it was a win for the NSU defense. He is an All-American type talent and I don't even think he made All-Conference last year because he deferred too much.
              Moorhead should be good. Wayne returns everyone who played a meaningful minute from last year's young squad, and added two freshmen with high potential. Anything less than another regional appearance would be a big disappointment.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by cat fan View Post

                Moorhead should be good. Wayne returns everyone who played a meaningful minute from last year's young squad, and added two freshmen with high potential. Anything less than another regional appearance would be a big disappointment.
                Nobody will be overlooking Wayne this season. They certainly have enough talent to be top team in conference.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

                  Nobody will be overlooking Wayne this season. They certainly have enough talent to be top team in conference.
                  Wayne St. are still a young team with only Janssen a senior. Head Coach Kaminsky stresses defense and it has payed off. Great hire in Kaminsky by your athletic director.

                  Vikings have a strong recruiting class coming in, there will most likely be growing pains this season, but should pay dividends in the future. Also, great hire by HC Billeter in Assistant coach Cody, "Spice" Schilling.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

                    Wayne St. are still a young team with only Janssen a senior. Head Coach Kaminsky stresses defense and it has payed off. Great hire in Kaminsky by your athletic director.

                    Vikings have a strong recruiting class coming in, there will most likely be growing pains this season, but should pay dividends in the future. Also, great hire by HC Billeter in Assistant coach Cody, "Spice" Schilling.
                    This teacher gives you an "A" for that!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

                      Wayne St. are still a young team with only Janssen a senior. Head Coach Kaminsky stresses defense and it has payed off. Great hire in Kaminsky by your athletic director.

                      Vikings have a strong recruiting class coming in, there will most likely be growing pains this season, but should pay dividends in the future. Also, great hire by HC Billeter in Assistant coach Cody, "Spice" Schilling.
                      Is it possibly a bit of rebuilding year for both Augie and NSU?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

                        Is it possibly a bit of rebuilding year for both Augie and NSU?
                        Perhaps the two hoops experts for AU will give their more qualified opinions.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I would expect all of the incoming guys at Southwest to redshirt. That's the norm anyways. It'll be interesting. No team played fewer games than the 11 played by the Mustangs last year. On top of that, only three players on the roster played in all 11 games. Only one of the three remains at SMSU though in Phipps. Mustangs had 11 different players start a game in 2020-21. Most of the scoring punch lost will be made up by the return of Kenny Byers. This should be a huge addition. We brought in an NAIA transfer who put up 14/7 at Dakota State two years ago. Phipps will be back and should still be pretty good. Kramer is solid as a glue guy, as is McCray. Behind those five is a lot of youth.....as in, there is only one other non-freshman on the roster after those five.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

                            Is it possibly a bit of rebuilding year for both Augie and NSU?
                            I don't know what to expect this year. Several new faces in the guard positions, which will be significant.

                            I'm honestly a little jaded with college athletics right now thanks to the transfer portal. What even is a "rebuilding year" anymore? If these young guys are good or show promise, I'm just hoping they stick around longer than a year or two. But if your building materials move on to other projects before you finish your own, there's not much building you can do.

                            I'd love to think we'll be toward the top of the conference this year, but a lot of that will depend on a number of yet-untested guards, which can be tough.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Augie has 8 seniors, so I wouldn't necessarily call it a rebuilding year.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                                Augie has 8 seniors, so I wouldn't necessarily call it a rebuilding year.
                                I think when it’s all said and done, Adam Dykman will be older than - and spent more time in college than - Grandpa Luke.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X