Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanford latest school to announce it will not play in a bowl game this season. Somewhere there is a list of schools who have already made this announcement- like BC. My guess is that list will grow, along with the bowl games that will be called off.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
      Stanford latest school to announce it will not play in a bowl game this season. Somewhere there is a list of schools who have already made this announcement- like BC. My guess is that list will grow, along with the bowl games that will be called off.
      I think there's been 12 bowl games cancelled so far. It might be even more than that. Stanford has a large endowment and BC has Roman Catholic church support, so they're not strapped for money like some programs are this year. They'll be other teams that will jump to fill those two bowl bids and I say good for them if they can pull it off safely. There's a lot of Seniors who would love to go out with a bowl game.

Last edited by crixus; 12-13-2020, 04:50 PM.
      Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

• Cleveland Indians are dropping their nickname.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/s...?smid=tw-share

Comment

• First the Redskins name change and now this one. A couple of good things that happened in this mostly crappy year.

How about the Cleveland Rockers? R&R Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.
          Last edited by crixus; 12-13-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Arizona @ Cal cancelled.

https://247sports.com/Article/Califo...red-156860678/

Comment

• Originally posted by catatonic View Post

Tarleton did manage to play a payday game against Texas A&M. The Texans led at the half and almost pulled off the upset before fading late in the game.
              Looks like the Iowa/Gonzaga game is still on. It is next Saturday and would be 15 days from when the quarantine began for Gonzaga.

I guess the good news is the vaccine was approved so hopefully we will now start seeing less cancelations.

Comment

• How about the Cleveland Rockers? R&R Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they should pick a name like the Buttercups or the Rosebuds. These are nice, non-threatening, non-offensive names. Nobody is offended by flowers, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post
                  First the Redskins name change and now this one. A couple of good things that happened in this mostly crappy year.

It's about time.

That was a stupid name no matter how you look at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post

Maybe they should pick a name like the Buttercups or the Rosebuds. These are nice, non-threatening, non-offensive names. Nobody is offended by flowers, right?

[/QUOTE]

The name just didn't make any sense.

Why would a team from Cleveland name themselves after the people of a country in Asia that they have no connection too? Even more bizarre was the hammed up Native American mascot they gave them. I never understood it.

Kinda be like if I started a hockey team called the "Colorado Russians" but gave them a cartoonish, stereotyped Japanese mascot. I wouldn't make much money doing that - it doesn't make any sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

The name just didn't make any sense.

Why would a team from Cleveland name themselves after the people of a country in Asia that they have no connection too? Even more bizarre was the hammed up Native American mascot they gave them. I never understood it.

Kinda be like if I started a hockey team called the "Colorado Russians" but gave them a cartoonish, stereotyped Japanese mascot. I wouldn't make much money doing that - it doesn't make any sense.

[/QUOTE]

It does not make sense now. But I'm sure one hundred years ago, it did. Different times and different generations.

But I'm with you. It says more about the willingness to adapt and change than stubbornly holding on to the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

It does not make sense now. But I'm sure one hundred years ago, it did. Different times and different generations.

But I'm with you. It says more about the willingness to adapt and change than stubbornly holding on to the past.
                        Absolutely - I was just being sarcastic, to an extent.

It was a misidentification of indigenous island communities off the coast of Central America - if I am correct. The term is inefficient at best. I like to think we've evolved past the point of needing to hang onto it, but a lot of folks don't feel the same way.

Folks will be angry for 2-3 days before forgetting about this to be angry about something else.

Comment

• Comment

• Not COVID related but UF's Keyontae Johnson collapsed during their game on Saturday. He's in the hospital in a medically-induced coma. Scary thing is, doctor's don't know what caused this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...rtan-ntp-feeds

Comment

• Tolly Carr of HBCU Gameday reports that the CIAA has canceled the seasons for men's & women's basketball and volleyball.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/12/14/c...on-called-off/

Financially, it makes sense. The CIAA Basketball Tournament is the bread and butter for the conference. The tournament was going to have all games prior to the semifinals played on campuses. Limited, if any, fans would be allowed at the semis and finals.

WSSU beat writer John Dell of the Winston-Salem Journal posted a column yesterday on why the CIAA should cancel the season.

https://journalnow.com/sports/colleg...688c48190.html

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X