Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crixus View Post

Ferrum is a private college in Virginia (D3).
    I know, just being silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

I know, just being silly.
      I was hoping you were kidding, but one never knows. Well, with me you do because that's all I do. Thanks for coming out, hope you liked the show. Goodnight everybody.

Comment

I was hoping you were kidding, but one never knows. Well, with me you do because that's all I do. Thanks for coming out, hope you liked the show. Goodnight everybody.

Couple of ice cold chocolate milks will get the jokes rolling when Laker is around.

Comment

Yesterday I was at Drake to watch them play Evansville in softball. This makes 253 D1 schools that I have watched in person. Also the 27th D1 venue that I have watched a game at. (Places like MSU and St Cloud who are D1 in hockey are counted as D2 schools since the majority of their sports are in that class). I walked through the football stadium where the Drake Relays are held. As I was watching it came to me that three DI schools in Iowa don't charge for softball games- Drake, Iowa State and Northern Iowa- and they don't sponsor baseball either. That seemed odd.

Comment

Yesterday I was at Drake to watch them play Evansville in softball. This makes 253 D1 schools that I have watched in person. Also the 27th D1 venue that I have watched a game at. (Places like MSU and St Cloud who are D1 in hockey are counted as D2 schools since the majority of their sports are in that class). I walked through the football stadium where the Drake Relays are held. As I was watching it came to me that three DI schools in Iowa don't charge for softball games- Drake, Iowa State and Northern Iowa- and they don't sponsor baseball either. That seemed odd.
            You should write a book. Seriously, you've seen some serious college sports action and have a story to tell. I don't know a lot about Iowa, but those D1 schools should definitely have baseball.

Comment

You should write a book. Seriously, you've seen some serious college sports action and have a story to tell. I don't know a lot about Iowa, but those D1 schools should definitely have baseball.
              My brother wrote a book about the effect of railroads in the Civil War. You can have a free copy if you ever show up at the Kat Ranch. I did write an article for Winning Hoops about an offensive set when I I was coaching at Nicollet. They paid me $100. A few years later when I was coaching at the Wisconsin GBB camp a coach from Milwaukee who was my roommate said- "I read your article!" I wish I could find the articles that I wrote dealing with history and geography. They seem to have gotten lost after I retired.

Comment

My brother wrote a book about the effect of railroads in the Civil War. You can have a free copy if you ever show up at the Kat Ranch. I did write an article for Winning Hoops about an offensive set when I I was coaching at Nicollet. They paid me $100. A few years later when I was coaching at the Wisconsin GBB camp a coach from Milwaukee who was my roommate said- "I read your article!" I wish I could find the articles that I wrote dealing with history and geography. They seem to have gotten lost after I retired.
                If the Kat Ranch is anything like the Mustang Ranch outside of Reno I think I'll pass. I'm afraid of catching something. LOL

Comment

If the Kat Ranch is anything like the Mustang Ranch outside of Reno I think I'll pass. I'm afraid of catching something. LOL
                  Only four legged cats here. And I have a twelve gauge in case anyone molests them. None have Cat Scratch Fever. All have been fixed.

Comment

Only four legged cats here. And I have a twelve gauge in case anyone molests them. None have Cat Scratch Fever. All have been fixed.
                    I'm allergic to cats and Ted Nugent.

Were you a high school or college coach or both?

I coached Little League baseball for one season (filling in for my brother in law who hurt his back). We didn't win a lot of games (6th place out of 8 teams) but I made sure all of the kids played in every game whether their skill level hurt or helped the team win. Some of the players parents didn't like it, but all of the players did. This was a long time ago before fairness practices were implimented.
                    Last edited by crixus; 04-07-2024, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I'm allergic to cats and Ted Nugent.

Were you a high school or college coach or both?

I coached Little League baseball for one season (filling in for my brother in law who hurt his back). We didn't win a lot of games (6th place out of 8 teams) but I made sure all of the kids played in every game whether their skill level hurt or helped the team win. Some of the players parents didn't like it, but all of the players did. This was a long time ago before fairness practices were implimented.
                      Played four sports in HS, football in junior college. Way too light to play at Mankato, now I have the opposite problem. Started coaching 5/6th while in college and did summer rec locally two years. Was an assistant football coach my senior year in college. Coached football, basketball and baseball- one year of softball and track. Glad that you were a trend setter- you never know when some kid who can't do anything at that age blossoms into a star later. Rotating them around is more likely to keep their interest.

Comment

• NAIA to add Carolina U and Bismarck St. With the North Star dissolving, where will the Mystics go?

NAIA Announces Membership Additions - NAIA

Comment

NAIA to add Carolina U and Bismarck St. With the North Star dissolving, where will the Mystics go?

NAIA Announces Membership Additions - NAIA
                          North Star could've really used them about a year ago... Just a bit too late on Bismarck States end. As for their conference affiliation, it says TBD, but it also says Carolina U applied to the Frontier Conference. Considering that Carolina University is in Winston-Salem, NC, and the Frontier Conference is based largely in Montana, I'm thinking either that's a clerical error, and Bismarck State is the one who applied to the Frontier, or the Carolina Bruins have a lot of looooooooooong bus trips in their future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post

North Star could've really used them about a year ago... Just a bit too late on Bismarck States end. As for their conference affiliation, it says TBD, but it also says Carolina U applied to the Frontier Conference. Considering that Carolina University is in Winston-Salem, NC, and the Frontier Conference is based largely in Montana, I'm thinking either that's a clerical error, and Bismarck State is the one who applied to the Frontier, or the Carolina Bruins have a lot of looooooooooong bus trips in their future.
                            Yes, with the addition of Dickenson St to the Frontier it isn't that much further to Bismarck. Now, will they add football since there is a nice stadium next to their campus where Mary plays now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post

The closest NAIA conference to Carolina University in Winston-Salem would likely be the Appalachian Athletic Conference. Or, barring that, they could end up in the "Continental Athletic Conference" - which is basically the NAIA independents.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Goddard College in Vermont announced closure today - but I can't tell if they ever had athletics. I can't tell if they were even still offering in-person instruction over the last several years.

Eastern Gateway Community College (Ohio) which had athletics at one-point (up until 2019 as far as I can tell), is expected to close.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X