Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Piaa split up...

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
    I did not get that sentiment from reading that article. The way I interpreted the article is that the great majority (over 90%) of Midland HS age students already chose to go the Charter route even before East Liverpool ended the contract. I also will not say the other schools are being arrogant or racist since this article is stating that the contract is not being meet by either EL or Midland. Maybe other school districts find Midlands to risky? Basically what i am saying is we do not know why other SD don't want Midland kids so we should not speculate their motives.
    Perhaps the arrogant and racism comments were out of line, but that had been what I was hearing or read in other sources in the past, so I do apologize for that implication. That said, for those high school students that don't go the charter school route, the options are seemingly limited.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
      Perhaps the arrogant and racism comments were out of line, but that had been what I was hearing or read in other sources in the past, so I do apologize for that implication. That said, for those high school students that don't go the charter school route, the options are seemingly limited.
      I heard the hearsay of that back in the day, but nothing suggest that today is all I was stating.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        That transfer rule is probably an improvement, it just depends how on how easy it is to get a waiver for post-season play.

The article from PennLive does have more details: https://www.pennlive.com/sports/inde...nd_compet.html

As it stands waivers can be given for: A change of residence necessitated by a change in employment, A school-initiated administrative transfer within a school district, A court ordered transfer, A change of schools caused by a military reassignment of a parent, A change of schools caused by release from a juvenile facility, A demonstrable change in income or other financial resources that compels withdrawal from a private school.

Cannot get a hardship waiver for "transfers for academic, developmental, spiritual and/or social reasons; and changes of residence resulting from a family separation, unless court approved." This also applies to all transfers including those from out-of-state. However all decisions will be made by regional leagues and students can appeal to the PIAA.

But that success/transfer formula for reclassification is absolute garbage. It will not fix anything.

A team will be moved up a classification if they get 6 success points over a two year period (state champs is 4, semis is 3, quarterfinals is 2) AND get more than half a starting line-ups worth of athletic transfers. So, 6 for football and 3 for basketball. I can see this rule doing absolutely nothing to fix the problem, while also hurting good teams that happen to get a couple transfers. Kids count by just being on the roster. You could have a bunch of transfers ride the bench and get forced up a classification for it. But it's also a delayed "punishment" too, if you timed it right you could transfer in an entire team, have them all sit out their first post season, and still win back to back titles before you get moved up a classification.

Comment

The fact that a kid can't transfer schools due to family separation is BS. That's a huge factor. How many times has stay at home mom left deadbeat dad and taken the kids to live with grandparents in a new school district? Theoretically in the kids can finish out the school year in the same district but its also possible that mom moves them far away. So yeah it suddenly makes sense when a kid needs to transfer from Cornell to Gateway.

Comment

I heard the hearsay of that back in the day, but nothing suggest that today is all I was stating.
            Fair enough.

Comment

Comment deleted.
              Last edited by iupgroundhog; 07-20-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                Your comments were tempered. No apology necessary, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                  Your comments were tempered. No apology necessary, IMO.
                  My initial response re: Midland was more based on hearsay and what I recalled reading a few years ago. I guess my point was that too much political BS at the local level shouldn't have to leave high school kids in one town in limbo.

Comment

Then you have this....

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/h...s/201809260053

It would be nicer if Nazareth Prep (formerly Holy Family Academy) paired with Northgate. Technically NP is within Avonworth (they're along ORB/65 in Emsworth) but just a mile or two from Northgate's field. Cornell is Coraopolis & Neville Island and the high school is on a hill heading toward the airport. It would make more sense for Cornell to partner with OLSH...which is within the Cornell district.

Northgate is the alma mater of former Edinboro players Alonzo Roebuck and Jon Girvin. Before they were formed in the late 70s by merging Avalon & Bellevue, Avalon graduated the illustrious IUP alumnus Jim Haslett.
                    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 09-27-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      Then you have this....

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/h...s/201809260053

It would be nicer if Nazareth Prep (formerly Holy Family Academy) paired with Northgate. Technically NP is within Avonworth (they're along ORB/65 in Emsworth) but just a mile or two from Northgate's field. Cornell is Coraopolis & Neville Island and the high school is on a hill heading toward the airport. It would make more sense for Cornell to partner with OLSH...which is within the Cornell district.

Northgate is the alma mater of former Edinboro players Alonzo Roebuck and Jon Girvin. Before they were formed in the late 70s by merging Avalon & Bellevue, Avalon graduated the illustrious IUP alumnus Jim Haslett.

When will Western PA consolidate school districts. This fear of a town losing its identity is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                        When will Western PA consolidate school districts. This fear of a town losing its identity is silly.
                        Northgate is already a consolidated school district! But you're right - they need to merge. I lived there for a few years when I moved back to Pittsburgh in 09 and don't live far away now. They are adjacent to three school districts: Pittsburgh City, Avonworth, and North Hills. They're not merging with Pittsburgh City because they're not City of Pittsburgh proper, although the precedent has been set with Wilkinsburg sending its kids to a city high school. Avonworth is probably the best situation because its the next district going up 279 and ORB/65 but they're also small and would need to totally reconfigure their school-grade breakdown after just having done it twice in the last few years. Avonworth has doubled in size the last 10-15 years as private schools close and Ohio Township develops. North Hills on the other hand has been losing population and just consolidated elementary schools a few years ago. They could probably absorb Northgate without much change. Bellevue is just on the other side of 279 from West View, which used to be the heart of North Hills.

Comment

A bit late to the conversation, and I'll probably touch on some old ground. But anyway.

I'm fine with co-ops. I'm fine with reclassification to address the private school advantages. I'll never be fine with separate public-school and private-school championships.

It might be a bit too far back for many to remember, but we had this once. And all people would ever say was, "Wouldn't it be great if we had true state champions?" And don't give me that we have six state champions now. That's simply what has to be done for enrollment. Every state breaks it down by enrollment. If you're the 2A state champion, you're the best team in the state within your enrollment.

Right now, we have all but 15-20 prep schools in one organization. That is the way it SHOULD be. The prep schools, unless I'm missing something, can't abide by the ninth- through 12th-grade rule.

This, to me, sort of gets back to my stance on running up the score. You're not winning the state championships you want to? Know what? The other team is better. You want to win state championships, get better.

Everyone cries about private-school recruiting, and forgets how a school like Harrisburg suddenly turns up with the best player in the state and another crucial piece to their football puzzle at midseason in 2016. What do you want to do with them? Put them in your new private-school division?

P.S. Mike White cries about this stuff like his kid lost a state title to recruiting. And the WPIAL laps it up.
                          Last edited by jrshooter; 09-27-2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                            You're not winning the state championships you want to? Know what? The other team is better. You want to win state championships, get better.
                            I'm not sure that argument translates. You can't tell a school that it just needs to "get better" if its best athletes are playing across town at the local private school.
                            http://www.indianagazette.com
                            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                              I'm not sure that argument translates. You can't tell a school that it just needs to "get better" if its best athletes are playing across town at the local private school.
                              A fair point, Matt. But I might put intangibles -- intensity, preparation, good coaching -- as a higher factor than pure athleticism.

Two years ago, my Shippensburg Greyhounds defeated Bishop McDevitt in the District 3 playoffs. Bet you know which side had more next-level athletes.

There's a lot more to "getting better" than taking .2 off your 40-yard time.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                                A fair point, Matt. But I might put intangibles -- intensity, preparation, good coaching -- as a higher factor than pure athleticism.

Two years ago, my Shippensburg Greyhounds defeated Bishop McDevitt in the District 3 playoffs. Bet you know which side had more next-level athletes.

There's a lot more to "getting better" than taking .2 off your 40-yard time.

True, but one answer ("get better") doesn't fit all scenarios.

Take the five best players off a Class 5-A team like Shippensburg and send them to McDevitt, and you can still have a pretty good team because there are ~60 players left. Take the five best players off Class 1-A Blacklick Valley roster and send them to Bishop Carroll, and you're lucky to have 22 guys to practice with.
                                http://www.indianagazette.com
                                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X