Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Regional Rankings

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    I don't know that any of them have a 'wow' factor like Chambersburg and Pine-Richland, but I think Downingtown has a great stadium.

When I moved here, I was actually surprised schools with pedigrees like Neshaminy, North Penn and Coatesville don't have nicer stadiums. But honestly, I would put them all above NDC. Why? Because they have visitor bleachers. Plus, that NDC field reminds me too much of Gannon. I played one game at Gannon and still hate that place.
    The few times I've been there, it's felt like they built a campus with a little baseball field and then said, "Where are we going to play football?"

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    For all the constant panic over the IUP press box ... it hasn't effected them too much over the years on the field. As a fan ... I don't sit in it. Means nothing to me.
    It might not mean a thing, but it might be something to remember the next time anyone asks why the PSAC is treated like a non-entity by the state's media.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
      The few times I've been there, it's felt like they built a campus with a little baseball field and then said, "Where are we going to play football?"

It might not mean a thing, but it might be something to remember the next time anyone asks why the PSAC is treated like a non-entity by the state's media.
      State media coverage has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with IUP's press box. My Goodness.

There's no coverage because nobody cares outside a very small segment. Media covers what sells. High school coverage gets tremendously more reads and clicks than any PSAC story. No contest.

Comment

State media coverage has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with IUP's press box. My Goodness.

There's no coverage because nobody cares outside a very small segment. Media covers what sells. High school coverage gets tremendously more reads and clicks than any PSAC story. No contest.
        I think its possible though. Build a nice cushy press box. Put out a nice spread. Lure some regional media types for a good game versus maybe Cal or Slippery Rock. Get someone from 93.7 to mention it on the air. You might get some momentum.

But let's be honest - nobody thinks like that at most of our schools. "Whose job is it to do all that extra work?" "Who is going to pay for it?" "What if they say something bad about us instead of something good?"

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          I think its possible though. Build a nice cushy press box. Put out a nice spread. Lure some regional media types for a good game versus maybe Cal or Slippery Rock. Get someone from 93.7 to mention it on the air. You might get some momentum.

But let's be honest - nobody thinks like that at most of our schools. "Whose job is it to do all that extra work?" "Who is going to pay for it?" "What if they say something bad about us instead of something good?"
          That's expecting a lot from a crew that couldn't even open the stadium lots on time last week, 2 hours late jus sayin

Comment

This is so true. I'm no longer a subscriber to DK on Pittsburgh Sports, but I used to be. Two years ago I direct messaged with him back and forth on twitter to get him to send a reporter down to the IUP-Cal playoff game. He about laughed at me. This is coming from a guy who runs a site that covers some of the most obscure sporting events you can find. He's got full time people covering the Wheeling Nailers in the ECHL. He treats Robert Morris hockey as though we are in the college hockey hotbed of Boston with BU and BC. This is a guy that acts like the Pittsburgh Riverhounds are playing for a shot at the English Premier League. He's got full timers to cover non-revenue sports at Pitt, PSU, WVU, and Duq.

So what's my point? DK probably has the widest range of sports coverage a fan can ask for, and the most in depth too. The coverage and content offering far exceeds what any of the local outlets offer. He covers more obscure sporting events than anybody else. If there was ever a media outlet to give legitimate coverage to a local collegiate football playoff clash between two rival programs, that was it. The last message he sent me went exactly like this, "We cover what our subscribers want. Nobody wants Division 2 football."

This is just another case of people thinking D2 football is bigger than what it is. At least in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They do get mentions on 93.7. Until IUP lost to Cal, Jim Colony said their score every Monday morning on his updates. On Friday's he would say the time of their game that weekend. When they were undefeated and #2 in the country, they got those mentions. When they lost, they lost that publicity too.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                This is so true. I'm no longer a subscriber to DK on Pittsburgh Sports, but I used to be. Two years ago I direct messaged with him back and forth on twitter to get him to send a reporter down to the IUP-Cal playoff game. He about laughed at me. This is coming from a guy who runs a site that covers some of the most obscure sporting events you can find. He's got full time people covering the Wheeling Nailers in the ECHL. He treats Robert Morris hockey as though we are in the college hockey hotbed of Boston with BU and BC. This is a guy that acts like the Pittsburgh Riverhounds are playing for a shot at the English Premier League. He's got full timers to cover non-revenue sports at Pitt, PSU, WVU, and Duq.

So what's my point? DK probably has the widest range of sports coverage a fan can ask for, and the most in depth too. The coverage and content offering far exceeds what any of the local outlets offer. He covers more obscure sporting events than anybody else. If there was ever a media outlet to give legitimate coverage to a local collegiate football playoff clash between two rival programs, that was it. The last message he sent me went exactly like this, "We cover what our subscribers want. Nobody wants Division 2 football."

This is just another case of people thinking D2 football is bigger than what it is. At least in PA.
                It's a shame as the quality of football is really good, much better than I expected. The off field game day experience (except at SRU) is the part that is lacking. If I were an AD I would do what I could to duplicate the Slippery Rock game day. Some places like Gannon, Mercyhurst probably can't do it due to geography of their campus but it certainly could be done at IUP. It has been better the past few years through grass root efforts of the fans but really hasn't been embraced by the school or community. jus sayin

Comment

Add to it all newspapers have cut staff way back. Half of 20 years ago. So, the reporters they are sending out on Saturday are headed to Morgantown, State College and Pitt. You'll see some Duquesne coverage by stringers (occasionally).

Some smaller papers like the Indiana Gazette do a great job with IUP football and basketball. Others, like the Erie paper (which has three PSAC teams) barely covers the games. Usually one a weekend and certainly not on the road. And, no, printing the blurb from the SID office is not 'covering' the game.

Gannon basketball fans were furious the past several years. They rarely even get covered much anymore and used to be the biggest ticket in Erie.

But, major media, ... forget about it. You're living in a click world.

Comment

For us, the local paper does a pretty good job with ESU sports, not just football. Basketball and field hockey coverage is particularly of note in my mind. But there's no coverage on the rest of the PSAC aside from "here's who the Warriors are playing this week".

Comment

I'm letting my DK membership expire once it's up. He's turned into a big jacka$$. His readers aren't allowed to criticize anything. I totally caught his boy Dale Lolley with numerous wrong facts and I got destroyed by DK because I had to gal to call his boy out on a terrible article about a month ago. I'm the paying subscriber that pays their salary and I was called numerous names by DK. Ok, buddy, I'm out! I refuse to read the site now. As for the Wheeling Nailers... who cares about the ECHL!!! Your readers don't read the Nailers, Riverhounds, etc.

There is a reason DK loses the good writers on his site and gets hacks like Dale Lolley!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                        I'm letting my DK membership expire once it's up. He's turned into a big jacka$$. His readers aren't allowed to criticize anything. I totally caught his boy Dale Lolley with numerous wrong facts and I got destroyed by DK because I had to gal to call his boy out on a terrible article about a month ago. I'm the paying subscriber that pays their salary and I was called numerous names by DK. Ok, buddy, I'm out! I refuse to read the site now. As for the Wheeling Nailers... who cares about the ECHL!!! Your readers don't read the Nailers, Riverhounds, etc.

There is a reason DK loses the good writers on his site and gets hacks like Dale Lolley!
                        His employee retention rate is worse than McDonald's. He's lucky Madden still promotes him.

Comment

Add to it all newspapers have cut staff way back. Half of 20 years ago. So, the reporters they are sending out on Saturday are headed to Morgantown, State College and Pitt. You'll see some Duquesne coverage by stringers (occasionally).

Some smaller papers like the Indiana Gazette do a great job with IUP football and basketball. Others, like the Erie paper (which has three PSAC teams) barely covers the games. Usually one a weekend and certainly not on the road. And, no, printing the blurb from the SID office is not 'covering' the game.

Gannon basketball fans were furious the past several years. They rarely even get covered much anymore and used to be the biggest ticket in Erie.

But, major media, ... forget about it. You're living in a click world.
                          Oh the Erie paper... Their good old famed writer Tom Reisenweber has be blocked on twitter for calling him out about his coverage. Last year I drilled him because he wrote a lot of garbage about IUP at playoff time but yet they guy never went to a Hurst/Gannon/Boro game until the basketball playoffs. All that guy did was look at the IUP site and then trash them for having transfers on their team. IDIOT!!! The final straw was when Tommy boy was on twitter asking for American Legion region 8 box scores so he could write an article. I told him to go be a real reporter and go to the event. BLOCK!!! hahahaha... these media guys are thinned skinned and ALWAYS right.

Comment

His employee retention rate is worse than McDonald's. He's lucky Madden still promotes him.
                            Madden loves the Riverhounds and Nailer which is why DK covers it. Madden is the only guy that promotes the site now. I'm through with DK.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                              Oh the Erie paper... Their good old famed writer Tom Reisenweber has be blocked on twitter for calling him out about his coverage. Last year I drilled him because he wrote a lot of garbage about IUP at playoff time but yet they guy never went to a Hurst/Gannon/Boro game until the basketball playoffs. All that guy did was look at the IUP site and then trash them for having transfers on their team. IDIOT!!! The final straw was when Tommy boy was on twitter asking for American Legion region 8 box scores so he could write an article. I told him to go be a real reporter and go to the event. BLOCK!!! hahahaha... these media guys are thinned skinned and ALWAYS right.
                              Lol yeah because the 3 Erie basketball teams have no transfers. Said nobody.

Comment

Lol yeah because the 3 Erie basketball teams have no transfers. Said nobody.
                                That was exactly my point!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X