Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Regional Rankings

My recollection was that Coatesville ASD had some questionable, if not incompetent, administrators not too long ago. IINM, aren't West Chester school taxes relatively low compared to Coatesville and Downingtown? Because I seem to recall WCASD having a lower tax rate compared to other districts.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      Duane Rankin? I think that was his name.
      Yes. That's who I was thinking of.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
        Yup.

It's sad that I've lost track of the number of places I've been to in the PSAC where I'm the only newspaper reporter there.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

• New Regional Rankings

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          My recollection was that Coatesville ASD had some questionable, if not incompetent, administrators not too long ago. IINM, aren't West Chester school taxes relatively low compared to Coatesville and Downingtown? Because I seem to recall WCASD having a lower tax rate compared to other districts.

They are much lower in West Chester. It helps that it has more tax paying commercial property than the other two. Exton (West Whiteland Township) is in WCASD. My taxes in my old home that I sold for 310k was about 3700 bucks a years for taxes and insurance. It would be about 6 grand if it was in the Downingtown School District.

We barely noticed any tax increases after they built Rustin High School. When they built Downingtown East here in Lionville the school taxes got jacked. It was not managed well financially whereas West Chester is better with their finances. Of course it helps their revenue is more stable and not totally dependent on home owners.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
            If you knew how economically distressed some parts of the Coatesville Area School District are, you'd understand why their stadium isn't exactly the Taj Mahal (though, to be fair, it's still better than some of the stadiums in the PSAC from my recollection).
            I live in the Coatesville Area School District haha

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
              And, you know, I'll give them points for that. It's more than most local papers are doing.

What the major-city outlets do, I couldn't care less. Let them have their pros and FBS. The yinzers sometimes get "Big Apple syndrome," think Pittsburgh is the center of some universe. It's not.
              I work in Berks County and it seems the newspaper up there does a decent job with Kutztown. I know the reporter who covered local college football was laid off earlier this year, but she apparently still does it on a freelance basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                I'm letting my DK membership expire once it's up. He's turned into a big jacka$$. His readers aren't allowed to criticize anything. I totally caught his boy Dale Lolley with numerous wrong facts and I got destroyed by DK because I had to gal to call his boy out on a terrible article about a month ago. I'm the paying subscriber that pays their salary and I was called numerous names by DK. Ok, buddy, I'm out! I refuse to read the site now. As for the Wheeling Nailers... who cares about the ECHL!!! Your readers don't read the Nailers, Riverhounds, etc.

There is a reason DK loses the good writers on his site and gets hacks like Dale Lolley!

Comment

DK is a DBag .... there is no other side to it. jus sayin

Comment

He left the PG for the Trib because Scaife dangled money in front of him. When Scaife died he knew the paper would start to fold and he jumped ship. I don't think there was anything else to it. The guy is so disliked I feel it would have come out by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      I'm letting my DK membership expire once it's up. He's turned into a big jacka$$. His readers aren't allowed to criticize anything. I totally caught his boy Dale Lolley with numerous wrong facts and I got destroyed by DK because I had to gal to call his boy out on a terrible article about a month ago. I'm the paying subscriber that pays their salary and I was called numerous names by DK. Ok, buddy, I'm out! I refuse to read the site now. As for the Wheeling Nailers... who cares about the ECHL!!! Your readers don't read the Nailers, Riverhounds, etc.

There is a reason DK loses the good writers on his site and gets hacks like Dale Lolley!

Comment

Yohe and Gajtka were the glue to the crew. I really enjoyed their writing. Kaboly was pretty good too but just a step down from Yohe and Gaktka. Either way, I found myself always making sure I read all three of their stuff. Once they left, than it became blah. Now they lost Lance last week and he was their last man standing. Toilet bowl time.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          Yohe and Gajtka were the glue to the crew. I really enjoyed their writing. Kaboly was pretty good too but just a step down from Yohe and Gaktka. Either way, I found myself always making sure I read all three of their stuff. Once they left, than it became blah. Now they lost Lance last week and he was their last man standing. Toilet bowl time.

DK pays most of his staff on a 'stringer' basis ... i.e. 'by the article' and very, very few of them are on a salary.

Since he was a startup, essentially, he had no money to run it like a real business with a real staff. The 'stringer' method avoided him having 'full time' employees -- he didn't have to offer healthcare, retirement options, etc. He wasn't even paying his reporters mileage for assignments outside the city.

Yohe, etc., ... those guys are too talented to be making the peanuts DK was paying. DK also wants to be the main attraction. As those guys rose in popularity ... well, we already know what happened.

It's also pretty known his wife runs the show there ... and is a piece of work.

DK was (is) a very good columnist ... actually, for a time, the best in the city (and award winning).

He has recruited talent there. He's retained it worse than a Subway restaurant. Nobody worth a salt will go there now. It will become DK and the interns.

Comment

• Comment

Maybe Madden has been invited to be part DK and his wife's "inner circle" ..... just sayin
                              https://deadspin.com/pittsburghs-cut...der-1821797940

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                DK pays most of his staff on a 'stringer' basis ... i.e. 'by the article' and very, very few of them are on a salary.

Since he was a startup, essentially, he had no money to run it like a real business with a real staff. The 'stringer' method avoided him having 'full time' employees -- he didn't have to offer healthcare, retirement options, etc. He wasn't even paying his reporters mileage for assignments outside the city.

Yohe, etc., ... those guys are too talented to be making the peanuts DK was paying. DK also wants to be the main attraction. As those guys rose in popularity ... well, we already know what happened.

It's also pretty known his wife runs the show there ... and is a piece of work.

DK was (is) a very good columnist ... actually, for a time, the best in the city (and award winning).

He has recruited talent there. He's retained it worse than a Subway restaurant. Nobody worth a salt will go there now. It will become DK and the interns.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X