Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a question for the masses.. Does anybody actually believe that one of the teams in the 5-7 slots get moved out of SR1? I don't believe they enacted this new format for them to not use it. That said, most of the schools in SR1 are fairly close. I understand the format is to limit the number of flights, but it seems as though it would be counter productive for SR1. Seems like any move of taking an SR1 team out of the region will actually make their travel longer. But I don't think the NCAA really cares about that, as long as they would remain under the threshold number of miles for a flight and would eliminate the flight of another team.

I am more of a proponent for an "open" tournament instead of something that is regionalized, but given the financial constraints at the D2 level I get that is not feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
      Here's a question for the masses.. Does anybody actually believe that one of the teams in the 5-7 slots get moved out of SR1? I don't believe they enacted this new format for them to not use it. That said, most of the schools in SR1 are fairly close. I understand the format is to limit the number of flights, but it seems as though it would be counter productive for SR1. Seems like any move of taking an SR1 team out of the region will actually make their travel longer. But I don't think the NCAA really cares about that, as long as they would remain under the threshold number of miles for a flight and would eliminate the flight of another team.

I am more of a proponent for an "open" tournament instead of something that is regionalized, but given the financial constraints at the D2 level I get that is not feasible.
      That rule will probably never affect this region. It's more likely Regions 3 and 4 will see that.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

That rule will probably never affect this region. It's more likely Regions 3 and 4 will see that.
        That's my thought in principle, but I don't believe that will be the case. Consider that you have teams in Ohio in SR1. Other Ohio schools play in SR2 (?). Also, Michigan, which borders Ohio, has a slew of perennial playoff representatives every year. If you go back to two years ago, if this format existed Findlay probably never makes that trip to Assumption (albeit that was a 2nd round game). I guess my point is that It's easier for Notre Dame, Findlay, or Ohio Dominican to go in another region to play Ashland, Grand Valley, Ferris State, etc., instead of heading to the New England region.

The issue is that somebody then needs to come to SR1.

I am in favor of an "open" tournament where teams are seeded where they should be seeded. I just don't think you are doing teams any favors. I think most coaches would rather go through the hassle of flying if it meant they were playing a team that they should have been playing based on the playoff selection seeding. If you are ranked as the 2nd team in your region, you should be playing a 7 seed. Bottom line.

My understand is that they aren't swapping seed for seed. Theoretically, a 5 seed could replace a 7 seed. So hypothetically, a school like Notre Dame could be unbeaten and be awarded the 2nd seed in the SR1 playoffs. Their potential date with a 2 loss 7-seed in SR1 could be changed because the NCAA didn't want 5th seeded Grand Valley or Ferris State to have to fly somewhere. Now, undefeated Notre Dame, a 2-seed, is playing a 5 seed from a much stronger region.

I get that you "play the teams in front of you," but I think in an effort to simply save money they are penalizing teams who should be awarded with a likely easier first round game.

Comment

I've felt pretty much all along that this "travel savings" plan is actually a plan to satisfy the the demands of stronger leagues to get more of their teams into the playoffs at the expense of teams from weaker leagues. Fundamentally they want to do away with the region based structure of D2/D3 to the national crossover of FCS. See attached...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...schedule-seeds

Comment

I don't think we will see an "open" national playoff system is D2.

#1 - As mentioned, it isn't financially viable
            #2 - Following up on the financial viability theme I don't think it's desirable for fans who want to travel to the PO games
            #3 - Any ranking on a national basis is sheer guesswork There isn't enough inter-regional play to rank the teams effectively
            #4 - The current regional set up is likely more inclusive. For example, considering SR1 has always been considered a weaker region I can see a lot of bias coming into play with a national format that would result in a lot of people thinking their team should receive a berth but ends up being left out

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              I don't think we will see an "open" national playoff system is D2.

#1 - As mentioned, it isn't financially viable
              #2 - Following up on the financial viability theme I don't think it's desirable for fans who want to travel to the PO games
              #3 - Any ranking on a national basis is sheer guesswork There isn't enough inter-regional play to rank the teams effectively
              #4 - The current regional set up is likely more inclusive. For example, considering SR1 has always been considered a weaker region I can see a lot of bias coming into play with a national format that would result in a lot of people thinking their team should receive a berth but ends up being left out
              Visiting other SR/league MBs this time of year there are frequent threads suggesting that their second tier teams SHOULD be chosen over most SR1 teams. Your points about costs and fan travel are entirely valid but this rule revision that potentially moves teams to other SRs feels like it's heading toward an open format.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Visiting other SR/league MBs this time of year there are frequent threads suggesting that their second tier teams SHOULD be chosen over most SR1 teams. Your points about costs and fan travel are entirely valid but this rule revision that potentially moves teams to other SRs feels like it's heading toward an open format.
                What is the rule revision? I'm not familiar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What is the rule revision? I'm not familiar with it.
                  See "PROPOSED NEW BRACKET STRUCTURE FOR 2019" thread in GENERAL DISCUSSION section.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

See "PROPOSED NEW BRACKET STRUCTURE FOR 2019" thread in GENERAL DISCUSSION section.
                    Ok, I reviewed the proposal and the posts. Somebody will have to explain to me how cost savings would result from that. Is it because flights to and from the more densely populated regions are more cost effective? That's the only rationale I can think of.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                      I've felt pretty much all along that this "travel savings" plan is actually a plan to satisfy the the demands of stronger leagues to get more of their teams into the playoffs at the expense of teams from weaker leagues. Fundamentally they want to do away with the region based structure of D2/D3 to the national crossover of FCS. See attached...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...schedule-seeds
                      I agree. And, if true, it could have that effect. "They" think they cannibalize each other in the regionals and that less worthy teams get into the final 4. Just more incentive for one of our teams to beat those guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I took Findlay and the 7.5 .... of course, Pitt pulled a Pitt and lost at home to Miami.
                        I do NOT GET Pitt !!!!!! They can be very frustrating to watch...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I guess. But don't forget WVW is AWFUL.
                          I agree, I think the way they won may hurt them in the rankings.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Ok, I reviewed the proposal and the posts. Somebody will have to explain to me how cost savings would result from that. Is it because flights to and from the more densely populated regions are more cost effective? That's the only rationale I can think of.
                            I've never felt the plan actually has anything to do with saving on travel expenses. Just a pretense to go where they want to be, an open system like FCS, which I can understand on some level but just say so.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Comment

• And if it doesn't fall out that way they would leave a 5, 6, or 7 in their home region? It depends on which teams make the playoffs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X