Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Region 1 is weak this year and the top teams in the country are very strong. The Region 1 winner will be easy pickings in the National Semis.
    You say this every year as soon as its evident IUP isn't the regional power.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Not defending Nation's comment so don't take it that way. However, I'm not ready to say IUP isn't still in the mix to be the top team in SR1 when it's all said and done.

They lost on the road by 3 in front of 10,000 on Homecoming to a team most on here perceive to be Alabama. They'd also be healthier in a rematch. Do certain things break the other way if they play again ... maybe. IUP would also have back its star DT who didn't play against SRU.

Many of the long-timers on here know it's nice to win in October. It's even nicer to win in November.

Lot of the story yet to be told. It should be a fun ride.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not defending Nation's comment so don't take it that way. However, I'm not ready to say IUP isn't still in the mix to be the top team in SR1 when it's all said and done.

They lost on the road by 3 in front of 10,000 on Homecoming to a team most on here perceive to be Alabama. They'd also be healthier in a rematch. Do certain things break the other way if they play again ... maybe. IUP would also have back its star DT who didn't play against SRU.

Many of the long-timers on here know it's nice to win in October. It's even nicer to win in November.

Lot of the story yet to be told. It should be a fun ride.
        Fun ride indeed ! @ CLARION, GANNON, @SHU, BORO, @SHIP should, unless something really bizarre happens, get you to 10-1 and nothing lower than #4 in SR1 which is at least 1 home game. Good chance for IUP-ROCK II.

Comment

I look forward to a IUP - SRU II, because they have the best talent being displayed right now. Both are solid programs with some pretty nice coaching. I think SRU may be running their QB a little too much, but ah, it is what it is. I really would like to see this game again for more marbles then the previous game, one and done is a motivator by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

No. The top three teams in the coaches poll brought back virtually the same players from last year. If you think any team in this region can go toe to toe with them, well good for you.

IUP had its best shot in 2017 because it was a fairly down year for the power regions and they missed a nice open window.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
              I look forward to a IUP - SRU II, because they have the best talent being displayed right now. Both are solid programs with some pretty nice coaching. I think SRU may be running their QB a little too much, but ah, it is what it is. I really would like to see this game again for more marbles then the previous game, one and done is a motivator by itself.
              The only thing that might happen with Slippery Rock is that they might, dare I say it, "take their foot off the gas pedal" because the IUP game is behind them. I'm not suggesting they will, but they got through what they know was the toughest game on their schedule. It's smooth sailing for them for certain. They have enough talent to win on talent alone, but they will need to be sharp to execute in the playoffs against good teams. The trouble with that theory is that I'm not really sure how good anyone is in SR1 outside of SRU/IUP. I think the jury is kind of still out on ND. I think Kutztown may be able to enter into the equation. Nobody has said this, but what if an undefeated Kutztown beats an undefeated Slippery Rock in the PSAC Championship game? That throws a potential wrench into how most people believe the SR1 field looks. Kutztown may be better than IUP and SRU, we just don't know it yet.

The "lacking sharpness" idea was kind of the story with IUP in 2017. They got through those Cal and SRU games and kind of coasted (while putting up big numbers) the rest of the way. Lenny Williams wasn't particularly sharp entering the postseason that year. They got through the West Chester game, but struggled immensely against Assumption before winning the game in the closing minutes. The sluggish offense continued against West Florida, ultimately leading to the end of their season.

It's a fine line when you're in the spot that SRU is in. Your players have to remain focused or they won't be sharp down the stretch. It's a tough switch to just turn back on. I am really interested to see how they look the rest of the year. I doubt they act the way they did on Saturday when they play Cal. Sometimes a team winning a "super bowl" type game in mid season is not the best thing for them.

We'll see.

Comment

Enjoy the games this Saturday. The PO implications always have a way of working themselves out. Somebody will feel like they should be in the playoffs when they're not. That much I can guarantee.
                Last edited by iupgroundhog; 10-15-2019, 01:19 PM. Reason: There is just too much season left to engage in such wild speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Region 1 is weak this year and the top teams in the country are very strong. The Region 1 winner will be easy pickings in the National Semis.
                  Don't know about that . GV was top 6 I believe and lost at home to Ashland. Also ND gave VSU a battle last year and IUP battled in 2017.....just sayin

Comment

UPDATED Playoff Race (list keeps getting smaller):

Race for the Top Seed:

Kutztown (6-0) - Nov. 2 trip to West Chester last apparent hurdle on regular season schedule
                    West Chester (6-0) - Brutal 3-game stretch starts Saturday
                    Slippery Rock (6-0) - Late season Cal visit only thing in SRU's path to State Game
                    Notre Dame (6-0) - Oct. 26 visit from Findlay should be interesting

Control their own fate:

IUP (5-1) - Pretty clear path rest of the way
                    West Virginia State (5-1) - State gets Charleston and ND at home
                    Tiffin (5-1) - Fairly smooth path until trip to Findlay in final week
                    East Stroudsburg (5-1) - After Bloom, trips to West Chester and Shepherd await.
                    Stonehill (4-1) - Road trips to Assumption and New Haven upcoming

The Must-Win-Out Crowd:

Shepherd (4-2) - Huge game Saturday when West Chester visits.
                    Hillsdale (4-2) - Brutal path to end of season
                    Urbana (4-2) - Massive game at WV State this week.
                    Charleston (4-2) - Somewhat tough stretch run
                    Assumption (4-2) - Winning out won't be easy
                    Pace (4-2) - Next two weeks at home.
                    California (4-2) - Late trip to SRU will tell the tale
                    Findlay (4-2) - Four of final five games are tough
                    Ohio Dominican (3-2) - If healthy, should be favored in all remaining games
                    Pace same team that lost to Millersville...Stop..

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Both teams will have that opportunity in the next few weeks. VULCANS haven't won a big one since '16. Looks like the next chance will be @SRU.
                      They beat the #2 team in the country last fall I would say that was a big win.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

May end up the best NE10 has to offer though beside VILLE they also lost to 3-3 UNH and still have STONEHILL on their schedule.

Comment

They beat the #2 team in the country last fall I would say that was a big win.
                          Freak win on 99 yd P6. Doesn't really count.

Comment

Don't know about that . GV was top 6 I believe and lost at home to Ashland. Also ND gave VSU a battle last year and IUP battled in 2017.....just sayin

Comment

If they win out, I wager they get in despite that loss. But I don't see them winning out. So....

Comment

UPDATED Playoff Race (list keeps getting smaller):

Race for the Top Seed:

Kutztown (6-0) - Nov. 2 trip to West Chester last apparent hurdle on regular season schedule
                                West Chester (6-0) - Brutal 3-game stretch starts Saturday
                                Slippery Rock (6-0) - Late season Cal visit only thing in SRU's path to State Game
                                Notre Dame (6-0) - Oct. 26 visit from Findlay should be interesting

Control their own fate:

IUP (5-1) - Pretty clear path rest of the way
                                West Virginia State (5-1) - State gets Charleston and ND at home
                                Tiffin (5-1) - Fairly smooth path until trip to Findlay in final week
                                East Stroudsburg (5-1) - After Bloom, trips to West Chester and Shepherd await.
                                Stonehill (4-1) - Road trips to Assumption and New Haven upcoming

The Must-Win-Out Crowd:

Shepherd (4-2) - Huge game Saturday when West Chester visits.
                                Hillsdale (4-2) - Brutal path to end of season
                                Urbana (4-2) - Massive game at WV State this week.
                                Charleston (4-2) - Somewhat tough stretch run
                                Assumption (4-2) - Winning out won't be easy
                                Pace (4-2) - Next two weeks at home.
                                California (4-2) - Late trip to SRU will tell the tale
                                Findlay (4-2) - Four of final five games are tough
                                Ohio Dominican (3-2) - If healthy, should be favored in all remaining games

One team gone ... Charleston got removed with a thud Thursday night (losing 42-7 to Frostburg State).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X