Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're correct. D2 football conference champion as a result of a championship game getting an automatic bid is untrue. It was never even the case in D1 basketball. There, each conference's champion got an automatic bid and it was up to the conference to determine who their champion was, tournament or otherwise.

Comment

Those two-loss GMAC teams (ODU and Findlay) could still make things interesting since they only have one in-region loss each. If Findlay grabs a win at Notre Dame, that's big for the GMAC and trouble for the MEC.

Comment

I know other regions are likely more affected by this more than SR1 due to the number of teams in this region in close proximity to one another, but does anybody see the potential for the new playoff format to impact SR1 at all? I don't think it will, but I'm interested in hearing other's thoughts.

In reading some literature from the NCAA, it seemed as though they are going to emphasize minimizing travel time where possible. I wonder if that could determine seeding between what looks to be a log jam of pretty good teams. Lot of football left and these things seem to work out, but it's worth discussing if there are a bunch of 1 loss teams towards the end.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          I know other regions are likely more affected by this more than SR1 due to the number of teams in this region in close proximity to one another, but does anybody see the potential for the new playoff format to impact SR1 at all? I don't think it will, but I'm interested in hearing other's thoughts.

In reading some literature from the NCAA, it seemed as though they are going to emphasize minimizing travel time where possible. I wonder if that could determine seeding between what looks to be a log jam of pretty good teams. Lot of football left and these things seem to work out, but it's worth discussing if there are a bunch of 1 loss teams towards the end.
          Possible. However the PSAC is going to eat itself alive starting this week.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I guess my real question is what team from what region could play an SR1 in the first round in an attempt to limit travel? SR1 is so compressed that I don't think you are necessarily going to help accomplish that.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

For one thing, even if all the SR1 teams stay in the SR1 bracket, there's no guarantee that the first-round matchups are true to the seeds. Avoiding regular-season rematches is now a point of emphasis, which will likely affect the way the PSAC teams are bracketed.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

For one thing, even if all the SR1 teams stay in the SR1 bracket, there's no guarantee that the first-round matchups are true to the seeds. Avoiding regular-season rematches is now a point of emphasis, which will likely affect the way the PSAC teams are bracketed.
                Yeah, I saw that. I can go either way on it I suppose. I like to see other teams. At the same time, you want the teams seeded where they are supposed to be seeded. It feels like there is too much of a hand on this stuff now. Similar to a few years ago on the basketball side when they opted to reseed the teams in the Elite 8 as essentially a brand new tournament and stack teams 1-8. Eliminates the "Cinderella" aspect for me. In basketball, if an 8 seed gets through their region and makes a run to the Elite 8, why should they be tasked with going up against the 32-1 team that is everybody's pick to win the title?

I understand they are trying to "get the two best teams to the championship game," but that rarely ever happens. Feels like it's forced.

Comment

I disagree. The Conference usually gets 3 teams into the Regional, 4 in a good year with the newly expanded field. Generally speaking the top 2 teams in each division have a realistic shot at being considered for a playoff spot. We are a deep conference, and after all of the years of hearing how having Cheyney in the conference hurt out teams' SOS, we settle it on the field, the way it should be.

Comment

SR1 PLAYOFF PICTURE

The Drivers' Seat -- and those who control their own fate (in no order)

Notre Dame (5-0) - Should get a test from Charleston. Findlay looms down the road.
                    IUP (5-0) - Trip to Rock should be last real challenge of regular season.
                    Slippery Rock (5-0) - Still has IUP and Cal -- but both at home.
                    East Stroudsburg (5-0) - Brutal road slate starts this week at Kutztown -- followed by upcoming trips to West Chester and Shepherd.
                    Kutztown (5-0) - If the Bears survive ESU this weekend, they will be heavy favorites the rest of the way minus the visit to West Chester.
                    West Chester (5-0) - Very light first (6) games. Second half of season much more difficult.

The Bubble

West Virginia State (4-1) - Charleston and ND both visit Institute, WV.
                    Tiffin (4-1) - Next four games should be a cakewalk prior to hosting Hillsdale and a season-ending trip to Findlay.
                    Assumption (4-1) - New Haven awaits but not much else.
                    Charleston (4-1) - Put up or shut up this weekend.
                    Stonehill (3-1) - Trips to Assumption and New Haven in second half. Lone loss, 31-9, came to New Haven. They play twice this year.

The 'Must Win Out / Technically Still Alive' Deep Bubble

California (3-2) - Vulcans likely go on a long win streak to set up huge game at SRU in November.
                    Shepherd (3-2) - Still a tough out but an even tougher schedule is on the horizon.
                    Hillsdale (3-2) - Road trips to Tiffin and Findlay remain in addition to an ODU visit. Not good odds of running table.
                    Findlay (3-2) - Trip to Notre Dame in addition to visits by Ashland and Tiffin remain on brutal schedule.
                    Ohio Dominican (3-2) - Heavy favorite in all remaining games aside from finale at Hillsdale.
                    New Haven (3-2) - We'll see how they recover. Schedule is favorable rest of way.
                    Clarion (3-2) - Next three weeks: Cal, IUP, Slippery Rock. Not fun for the Golden Eagles.
                    Urbana (3-2) - Tough next two weeks with Glenville and at WV State.
                    Pace (3-2) - Assumption visits in 48 hours. Win that one and who knows.
                    Glenville State (3-2) - Brutal schedule ahead

Comment

SR1 PLAYOFF PICTURE

The Drivers' Seat -- and those who control their own fate (in no order)

Notre Dame (5-0) - Should get a test from Charleston. Findlay looms down the road.
                      IUP (5-0) - Trip to Rock should be last real challenge of regular season.
                      Slippery Rock (5-0) - Still has IUP and Cal -- but both at home.
                      East Stroudsburg (5-0) - Brutal road slate starts this week at Kutztown -- followed by upcoming trips to West Chester and Shepherd.
                      Kutztown (5-0) - If the Bears survive ESU this weekend, they will be heavy favorites the rest of the way minus the visit to West Chester.
                      West Chester (5-0) - Very light first (6) games. Second half of season much more difficult.
                      The winner of the SRU / IUP game will also have the best path to the state game. Switching out KU or WCU for Ship(IUP) or Bloom (SRU), changes the SOS alot, and adds a much more likely chance for a loss. Bottom line the state game could have a big impact, since there can be only 1 undefeated team by the end of the season, maybe none.

Then there is always at least one - sometimes more - big upsets the last couple weeks in the PSAC.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

The winner of the SRU / IUP game will also have the best path to the state game. Switching out KU or WCU for Ship(IUP) or Bloom (SRU), changes the SOS alot, and adds a much more likely chance for a loss. Bottom line the state game could have a big impact, since there can be only 1 undefeated team by the end of the season, maybe none.

Then there is always at least one - sometimes more - big upsets the last couple weeks in the PSAC.
                        Question. If SRU wins on Saturday, but loses in 3 weeks to CAL U, which team goes to the STATE GAME ? I know the VULCANS are out for their loss to KUTZ, but the other two would have identical overall, WEST and crossover records so what is the next deciding factor ?

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Question. If SRU wins on Saturday, but loses in 3 weeks to CAL U, which team goes to the STATE GAME ? I know the VULCANS are out for their loss to KUTZ, but the other two would have identical overall, WEST and crossover records so what is the next deciding factor ?
                          That's a lot of moving parts !

Comment

That's a lot of moving parts !
                            The results of two games is a lot of moving parts ? Both IUP and SRU have other games they should be able to handle. Unless you feel the C'HAWKS may stumble versus @CLARION, GANNON, @SHU or BORO ?

Comment

Shaping up well for the PSAC to get 4 teams in. IUP, SRU, and Kutztown have to feel very good about where they are right now. WCU still has to prove it to me, that trip to Shepherd is tricky. There's a chance that season-ending game between WCU and CALU turns into a de facto play-in game, assuming neither makes the State Game.

Not high on ESU's chances to make it, just glad to even be mentioned in the conversation!

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                                Shaping up well for the PSAC to get 4 teams in. IUP, SRU, and Kutztown have to feel very good about where they are right now. WCU still has to prove it to me, that trip to Shepherd is tricky. There's a chance that season-ending game between WCU and CALU turns into a de facto play-in game, assuming neither makes the State Game.

Not high on ESU's chances to make it, just glad to even be mentioned in the conversation!
                                WHOOOA !!! VULCANS have a huge assignment on 11/2 @ ROCK. Really tough game so win that first before any talk of playoffs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X