Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Every time I tell myself that dynamic skill players don't tilt the scale, I see a game that proves the opposite.

Bloomsburg is lacking dynamic skill guys at this point.

Comment

• What would the score be if 2014 Bloom played 2019 Bloom?

I'd peg it around:

2014 28
        2019 7

The talent gap between those two teams seems that big.

Recruiting classes sometimes just miss. It could be they missed a couple in a row and now the results are showing.

People keep referencing poor player retention. Are there hard numbers for the past five years? What percentage of the last five classes stuck? How many alleged top recruits got a bust label? How many transferred out? Why are they leaving?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          What would the score be if 2014 Bloom played 2019 Bloom?

I'd peg it around:

2014 28
          2019 7

The talent gap between those two teams seems that big.

Recruiting classes sometimes just miss. It could be they missed a couple in a row and now the results are showing.

People keep referencing poor player retention. Are there hard numbers for the past five years? What percentage of the last five classes stuck? How many alleged top recruits got a bust label? How many transferred out? Why are they leaving?
          You're starting to be a real Jimmy the Greek. I say the spread would be much higher.

This years senior class is 6. The usual recruiting class is around 30, with about 10 making it to senior year; that includes the Hale years. These numbers are estimates from watching over the years. My point is that the lion's share of these players aren't transferring to play elsewhere; they just disappear from the sports scene. Would money keep them involved in sports? I don't think the quality of the recruiting classes have gone down. They all looked good on paper.
          Last edited by Bart; 10-08-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• I think the players who fall off the map generally hit their water level and realized their football career was ending. If they have success, they stick around.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
              I think the players who fall off the map generally hit their water level and realized their football career was ending. If they have success, they stick around.
              That would imply they realize there is too much talent above them and they can't break into the lineup. I don't see that as the problem for Bloom..

Comment

• I think Bloom recruits and brings in kids that either aren't college material or have a hard time adjusting to the student-athlete lifestyle. Maybe more or better support system is needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

You're starting to be a real Jimmy the Greek. I say the spread would be much higher.

This years senior class is 6. The usual recruiting class is around 30, with about 10 making it to senior year; that includes the Hale years. These numbers are estimates from watching over the years. My point is that the lion's share of these players aren't transferring to play elsewhere; they just disappear from the sports scene. Would money keep them involved in sports? I don't think the quality of the recruiting classes have gone down. They all looked good on paper.
                  Bart, you can't be serious. There is a clear difference in talent from Coach Darragh and Coach Hale players. Also, the off the field issues are not the same. The talent at the RB position has dropped significantly. The talent at Bloomsburg was at an all time high between 2001 and 2014 due to the success of the 2000 team. Bloom had a pro day not too long ago. That's all gone now. The 2014 team would blow this 2019 team away.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                    I think Bloom recruits and brings in kids that either aren't college material or have a hard time adjusting to the student-athlete lifestyle. Maybe more or better support system is needed.
                    That is correct!! Hale recruited certain kind of players! It's different now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bloom2005 View Post

Bart, you can't be serious. There is a clear difference in talent from Coach Darragh and Coach Hale players. Also, the off the field issues are not the same. The talent at the RB position has dropped significantly. The talent at Bloomsburg was at an all time high between 2001 and 2014 due to the success of the 2000 team. Bloom had a pro day not too long ago. That's all gone now. The 2014 team would blow this 2019 team away.
                      I agree that the 2014 team would destroy this year's team and posted that earlier. Off the field, I can name at least 2 rbs and several other players who had legal issues. I can give you a list if you PM me. As for the talent, I agree it doesn't look the same on the field, but that could be position coaching. I have been following the recruiting for years, and the talent level on paper with all-everything awards is the same, if not better now. Example could be rbs as you mention. Sigler was being recruited out of high school as a linebacker and Quiteh wasn't even recruited by his hometown team ESU. They didn't have the accolades coming out of high school. Give me an example of a player you think had everyone drooling over his statistics and accolades before college.

Comment

I agree that the 2014 team would destroy this year's team and posted that earlier. Off the field, I can name at least 2 rbs and several other players who had legal issues. I can give you a list if you PM me. As for the talent, I agree it doesn't look the same on the field, but that could be position coaching. I have been following the recruiting for years, and the talent level on paper with all-everything awards is the same, if not better now. Example could be rbs as you mention. Sigler was being recruited out of high school as a linebacker and Quiteh wasn't even recruited by his hometown team ESU. They didn't have the accolades coming out of high school. Give me an example of a player you think had everyone drooling over his statistics and accolades before college.

Not trying to argue, but every school on here can say the same thing on signing day. The recruiting classes all are made up of all-conference players, etc. Every class looks great in February. So, it sounds like (from reading the thread) the big issue is with player development once they are on the Bloomsburg campus? Add to it a retention issue. Would you say the staff isn't getting enough of the true potential out of the players they are signing? The vast majority of true freshmen, regardless of how decorated, are nowhere near ready to play right away -- physically or mentally. Those first two years of development are massive.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not trying to argue, but every school on here can say the same thing on signing day. The recruiting classes all are made up of all-conference players, etc. Every class looks great in February. So, it sounds like (from reading the thread) the big issue is with player development once they are on the Bloomsburg campus? Add to it a retention issue. Would you say the staff isn't getting enough of the true potential out of the players they are signing? The vast majority of true freshmen, regardless of how decorated, are nowhere near ready to play right away -- physically or mentally. Those first two years of development are massive.
                          On that note Qashah Carter originally committed to Bloom, they could really use him this year.

Comment

• And dont forget with 6 classes and at that every class has what seems like a 100 kids being "all-state".....being all state now is equivalent to being all-conference only so many years ago. 20 years ago 4 classes were divided into big school AAA-AAAA and small school A-AA and each only had 1st and 2nd team....maybe honorable mention. All state means very little now to how good someone actually is to compete in the PSAC. Not that it ever did necessarily but much less now. High school stats generally mean nothing as well.

Comment

• Some on here will argue that since I never played college ball I'm an ignorant NARP, but often times the stats sheet doesn't lie. Bloom this year:

Scoring just under 18 ppg, good enough for 13/16 in the PSAC.
                              Averaging ~215 ypg, good enough for 15/16 in the PSAC
                              Dead last in passing ypg (82 ypg)

They're also giving up a ton of sacks - 4.5 per game.

So the offense is hurting. Probably not coaching - probably missing out on guys they used to get with Hale & McBryan.

Defensively they're pretty much middle of the pack for just about every stat.

https://psacsports.org/stats.aspx?pa...ball&year=2019

Comment

I agree with every post following this one. It's not about accolades. Hale always had a speedy quick back and a bigger pounding back. We went from Sigler, Glaze, Brittingham, and Franklyn Quiteh to nothing right now. There were also other good backs during this time span as well.

Same thing goes for the offensive lineman.

I do agree with the position coaching. The longtime OL and DL coaches are no longer there.

Two Harlon Hill Winners and a few runner ups under Coach Hale :-).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X