Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's always amazed me about the whole situation is, despite what many like to say, Frank didn't cheat. He did it the right way. There wasn't a magical tree in the Oak Grove that grew money. He raised it -- the painful way. One donor and one corporate sponsor at a time. They had more scholarship money because they worked for it. He was punished because the rest of the conference had a bunch of lazy a$$ coaches when it came to raising funds. The league is still full of them. He knew the formula. It's not hard to see.

It's baffling people still talk about the money subject. It's the worst kept secret in the D2 world. Money wins. Raise it. Raise all you can. Buy the best players you can. There are programs in this league who don't even employ a full-time person in charge of athletic fundraising. It's beyond amazing. Yet these programs blame everything under the sun for why they finish .500 or below. Coaches who are set up to fail from Day 1 are blamed.

Do we really think IUP basketball has become a national power (men's and women's) simply because they have good coaches? I sure hope not. Joe Lombardi and Tom McConnell have built national (D2) brands because they have a ton of money. They can sign players from outside of PA (and the United States). Those two, Joe and Tom, are two of the best 'baby kissers and hand shakers' you will EVER meet in your life. And, in turn, they raise big money. Both are extremely active in the community. Both speak to people. Both actually thank people for attending games. They have charisma and it's contagious.

East schools talk about this alleged lack of scholarships. Year after year. You want them ... raise the money. How much effort are these schools really putting in to it? That's a real simple question to ask your athletic department. I get so many calls from IUP a year I know the number when they call.

We have way too many schools that simply like to have a game on Saturday and listen to the band. Win ... lose ... nobody really cares. Lock Haven having a program puts 100 male students on campus.

I hope we realize there are teams in this league that just cannot win as they currently operate. It's impossible. It's simple economics. The PSAC has worse disparity from top to bottom than Major League Baseball. Think about that. It's scary.

The NUMBER ONE thing you need to look for in hiring a coach at this level is his ability to raise money. If he can't ... his tenure is doomed from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Yes, but fans are saying there is talent there, somewhere sitting on the bench. Everyone loves the QB and thinks if they run an offense for him, they'll win. So are the coaches good recruiters and bad coaches? Is it all or nothing?

There are 2 choices now. Put other players in to see what they can do, including the back-up QB. Change the play calling. It is too late to change the playbook to an entirely new offensive system.
      Bart there is talent there. Offense needs to go 4 wide and put Ricky Cope #11 as the 4th receiver. No more under center, all snaps out of the gun. Rpo/pass.....you dont have to invent s new playbook to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Footballfanofall View Post

Bart there is talent there. Offense needs to go 4 wide and put Ricky Cope #11 as the 4th receiver. No more under center, all snaps out of the gun. Rpo/pass.....you dont have to invent s new playbook to do that.
        I am sure he is going to be a good player, but he is coming from a D3 school as a freshman. People act like playing out of the gun is something new, but it started in 1960. Bloom used the sprint/draw offense for years, which has the pass/run deception in it. They need it back. http://www.coachbdud.com/2016/04/07/sprint-draw-2/

Comment

Originally posted by Footballfanofall View Post

Adding a 4th receiver is only going to pull a guy off the line which we already have blocking issues. Leiby has proven to be accurate when he has time so we need to keep a blocker. The sprint/draw offense would be a good alternative. Would only take minor tweaking of certain plays in our playbook to adapt some sprint/draw plays. Honestly what would we have to lose learning a few new plays? The next 2 weeks we are going to struggle anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

What's always amazed me about the whole situation is, despite what many like to say, Frank didn't cheat. He did it the right way. There wasn't a magical tree in the Oak Grove that grew money. He raised it -- the painful way. One donor and one corporate sponsor at a time. They had more scholarship money because they worked for it. He was punished because the rest of the conference had a bunch of lazy a$$ coaches when it came to raising funds. The league is still full of them. He knew the formula. It's not hard to see.

It's baffling people still talk about the money subject. It's the worst kept secret in the D2 world. Money wins. Raise it. Raise all you can. Buy the best players you can. There are programs in this league who don't even employ a full-time person in charge of athletic fundraising. It's beyond amazing. Yet these programs blame everything under the sun for why they finish .500 or below. Coaches who are set up to fail from Day 1 are blamed.

Do we really think IUP basketball has become a national power (men's and women's) simply because they have good coaches? I sure hope not. Joe Lombardi and Tom McConnell have built national (D2) brands because they have a ton of money. They can sign players from outside of PA (and the United States). Those two, Joe and Tom, are two of the best 'baby kissers and hand shakers' you will EVER meet in your life. And, in turn, they raise big money. Both are extremely active in the community. Both speak to people. Both actually thank people for attending games. They have charisma and it's contagious.

East schools talk about this alleged lack of scholarships. Year after year. You want them ... raise the money. How much effort are these schools really putting in to it? That's a real simple question to ask your athletic department. I get so many calls from IUP a year I know the number when they call.

We have way too many schools that simply like to have a game on Saturday and listen to the band. Win ... lose ... nobody really cares. Lock Haven having a program puts 100 male students on campus.

I hope we realize there are teams in this league that just cannot win as they currently operate. It's impossible. It's simple economics. The PSAC has worse disparity from top to bottom than Major League Baseball. Think about that. It's scary.

The NUMBER ONE thing you need to look for in hiring a coach at this level is his ability to raise money. If he can't ... his tenure is doomed from the start.
            How many National Championships has all of that money bought you?! Just askin'. I understand that IUP has written the manual on how to live life perfectly in every conceivable way, but coaches first responsibility is to coach their players. Sure raising money is important, but it's NOT #1...
            Last edited by WarriorVoice; 10-03-2019, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

How many National Championships has all of that money bought you?! Just askin'. I understand that IUP has written the manual on how to live life perfectly in every conceivable way, but coaches first responsibility is to coach their players. Sure raising money is important, but it's NOT #1...
              Glad you understand that.

It probably would have bought at least one in football had the league not pulled them down. Basketball has played in the title game twice since 2010. The ladies have been to two straight Final Fours. So, to your point ... no titles yet. But pretty close on a couple occasions.

Even today nobody in the PSAC has enough money to win one in football. Obviously. Cal got real close at the peak of their money influx. No coincidence. Our teams just lack the depth to go up against the NWMS's of the world in November. Injuries on our smaller budgets are devastating. They can handle them better. And, nobody is fully healthy in November.

Sure, coaches coach players. The good ones coach the best players money can buy them. It's not coincidental in the PSAC which teams win year after year -- and which teams stink year after year or are mediocre year after year. Like I said, the magic formula to win is simple: raise money. A lot of it.
              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-03-2019, 07:06 AM.

Comment

That does ring true because the PSAC is competitive nationally in sports other than the big 2. Softball, baseball, swimming and individually T&F and CC. Good coaching and recruiting keeps these sports operating at high levels without big time fund raising. The single instance of success in the BB/FB arena, CAL U WBB, started out in the big bucks AA era but has sustained itself now because of stable organization and intelligent coaching. It's a lot tougher to get there but it can be done. I think in some cases having a lot of cash gives a false impression of success. I'm certain very few programs out-fundraise MICHIGAN football, but they obviously haven't paid the right coach in a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  That does ring true because the PSAC is competitive nationally in sports other than the big 2. Softball, baseball, swimming and individually T&F and CC. Good coaching and recruiting keeps these sports operating at high levels without big time fund raising. The single instance of success in the BB/FB arena, CAL U WBB, started out in the big bucks AA era but has sustained itself now because of stable organization and intelligent coaching. It's a lot tougher to get there but it can be done. I think in some cases having a lot of cash gives a false impression of success. I'm certain very few programs out-fundraise MICHIGAN football, but they obviously haven't paid the right coach in a very long time.
                  I wouldn't guess the recent (say, last 5 teams) at Cal WBB have been too far below the 10 equivalency max?

I'm just guessing here but I'd 'guess' the other sports you mention ... there's probably a common theme across the country. I'd be curious what the average D2 school is pumping, scholarship-wise, in to T&F, CC, Swimming, baseball/softball. By and large, those non-revenue sports just don't get treated, financially, anywhere near football and basketball. So, the playing field should be fairly even. In that case, I fully agree coaching (and recruiting) is vital. That said, the playing field is nowhere near even in football and basketball.

I'll be curious to see the numbers for this year in PSAC football. SRU may be the big spender now. They are raising insane money up there.

Comment

I can be reached at [email protected].

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                      With the P5 schools, there is some diminishing returns with all that money, at all those schools the money might as well be considered unlimited. Then it comes down to coaching, organization, recruiting and reputation. In the PSAC, all corners are being cut, no matter which school you talk about, and so every bit of money is spent on essentials that help alot. Schollies, facillities, Asst. coaches and trainers, all make a huge difference at this level. And you get the best of each with more money. A good coach at PSAC level takes best advantage of the funds they have, and has to be able to participate effectively in fund raising.

Comment

That's pretty unique down there ... they have a coach they can't fire or the big dog (Mr. West) will allegedly pull all the money. If you believe the message boards, anyway, ...

Comment

Must be in the DNA out there. Or maybe it's that clean Monroe County water. That was exactly Denny Douds' position on football scholarships. He didn't think it was a worthwhile use of resources to strive for a NC. Just compete within the conference and the region, he said. That's an ok attitude but why you would want to impose it on other schools and programs is what puzzles me.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Must be in the DNA out there. Or maybe it's that clean Monroe County water. That was exactly Denny Douds' position on football scholarships. He didn't think it was a worthwhile use of resources to strive for a NC. Just compete within the conference and the region, he said. That's an ok attitude but why you would want to impose it on other schools and programs is what puzzles me.
                            Keep in mind this was 25 years ago. And just a couple of years after the NCAA i.e. the college presidents, in both D1 and D2, voted to reduce scholarships in football and basketball. There was an effort to reduce athletic spending in general at that time.

Comment

I just find it amusing that a thread on Bloomsburg football takes this IUP turn. You sure this is the PSAC board?

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                                I just find it amusing that a thread on Bloomsburg football takes this IUP turn. You sure this is the PSAC board?
                                That's absolute proof that it could only be a PSAC MB !!! Every thread is about IUP.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X