Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Changes at IUP

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Per the Twitter world, Lackawanna OL Jerome Brown picked up offers by IUP and Shepherd this week.

Listed at 6'4", 330 lbs.
    That fits the definition of getting big up front. However, the last JR college OL transfer didn't even make it through pre season camp.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
      That fits the definition of getting big up front. However, the last JR college OL transfer didn't even make it through pre season camp.
      I agree with you on the conditioning part Monk. If IUP is able to bring him in I sure hope he can pass the conditioning test.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        An interesting point. Does IUP stand pat with Davis and Wilkerson and content to let them battle it out in spring ball or do they go after a seasoned transfer to add to the mix?
        -
        It is an interesting question. Davis and Wilkerson are top recruits and I'd like to see them develop the QB internally. However, as you state, there is opportunity risk because you have a veteran team coming back. I guess it depends on how good they think Davis and Wilkerson are relative to who else might be available.

Comment

That's him. Three D2 seasons available.

Yes, same guy who beat IUP at Miller.

Didn't we see enough of this offense already?

Comment

• Changes at IUP

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
            It is an interesting question. Davis and Wilkerson are top recruits and I'd like to see them develop the QB internally. However, as you state, there is opportunity risk because you have a veteran team coming back. I guess it depends on how good they think Davis and Wilkerson are relative to who else might be available.

Comment

Plus the competition over spring should allow the freshman to develop even more. Davis showed some positive things. Of course the other unknown to us is how these guys are doing in class. If one is in trouble, or if one is obviously not developing, well, a transfer might be in order. The other issue is what direction the offense is going to go in. Do the coaches want to continue with a run heavy spread offense, or do they want to change it up ? The UWF kid was not very mobile, and wouldn't work in the current version of the IUP offense.

Comment

The issue I have is that this isn't a 'develop a new QB' kind of team coming back. It could be a very strong team ... one with very few weaknesses (minus History and Math class).

This is also, of course, assuming both of these redshirts are actually coming back after spring ball -- which would be kind of shocking.

The key to taking a QB (should they decide to do so) is to get a mid-year transfer. They have to go through the spring to have a legit shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  The issue I have is that this isn't a 'develop a new QB' kind of team coming back. It could be a very strong team ... one with very few weaknesses (minus History and Math class).

This is also, of course, assuming both of these redshirts are actually coming back after spring ball -- which would be kind of shocking.

The key to taking a QB (should they decide to do so) is to get a mid-year transfer. They have to go through the spring to have a legit shot.

Comment

They will have a ton of talent and will bring a lot more in this off-season.

I don't see talent being the issue. Leadership is the issue. Hopefully this upcoming team (and staff) has far more of it.

Tort's first year the players were out of Curt's anal micromanagement and loved it. Year 2 they took advantage of it.

If they do schedule a non-conference game this would be a good year to go cupcake or average. No Ashland types with a new QB making his first start.

Comment

I tend to agree with this. I saw nothing that would lead me to label this as "a can't miss team" heading into next year. They really sucked by IUP standards. I guess the one positive is that a lot of young players got a ton of experience.

I have no problem with IUP casting their lot with either Davis or Wilkerson. I saw both throw at a scrimmage last August. Both looked fine. Wilkerson is a southpaw who puts some good velocity on the ball. Davis won the right to backup Lenny this past season.

The two of them could form a nice 1-2 punch at the QB position the next three or four years.

-

Comment

They will have a ton of talent and will bring a lot more in this off-season.

I don't see talent being the issue. Leadership is the issue. Hopefully this upcoming team (and staff) has far more of it.

Tort's first year the players were out of Curt's anal micromanagement and loved it. Year 2 they took advantage of it.

If they do schedule a non-conference game this would be a good year to go cupcake or average. No Ashland types with a new QB making his first start.
                        Agree strongly with both of these comments. Tort needs to regain authority over the cellblock. Maybe there was a reason why Curt came off as such a petty dictator.

But it probably comes down to what particular group of guys you are dealing with. Some handle and even thrive with more leeway than others. And some need the warden cracking the whip at every turn.

A cupcake game to start the year would be a good thing. Good chance for the new QB to get acclimated to things.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                          I tend to agree with this. I saw nothing that would lead me to label this as "a can't miss team" heading into next year. They really sucked by IUP standards. I guess the one positive is that a lot of young players got a ton of experience.

I have no problem with IUP casting their lot with either Davis or Wilkerson. I saw both throw at a scrimmage last August. Both looked fine. Wilkerson is a southpaw who puts some good velocity on the ball. Davis won the right to backup Lenny this past season.

The two of them could form a nice 1-2 punch at the QB position the next three or four years.

-
                          No way one stays to be just a platoon guy. They were highly-touted. My money says one is gone after spring ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            No way one stays to be just a platoon guy. They were highly-touted. My money says one is gone after spring ball.

Comment

Plus, the ongoing saga of academic attrition. It's been brutal! What is it----three QBs got into hot water over grades? $tockett, ADP, and Hankins all rumored to have had problems in that area.

Odd because QBs really need to be smart people.

-

Comment

I agree with this. Davis was the better coached QB coming out of HS which is why he won the back up job initially. Wilkerson is raw but might throw a better ball. Both guys are very athletic, maybe even more so than Lenny. If these guys are doing what it takes off the field the offense will be in good hands for years to come. The competition this spring should be great, this isn't over by any stretch. jus sayin

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X