Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The coaches and D2Football polls should carry some weight in the regional rankings.

Slimey Pebble was not even in the top 5 all year while Minnesota State was...

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
      Question for IUPNation:

If IUP were to win SR1 next year, ending up with the same record and SOS as Rock this year and draws MNU-M who has the same record and SOS next year as they did this year, would you be upset if the NCAA decided the game should be in Minnesota because "they are a better team?"
      Actually IUP's SOS would be off the charts considering the crossovers if those teams all remain very competitive next year....it would also have to be how IUP was winning as well. If IUP was giving up a lot of points and barely winning against anyone, then yes...I'd be saying it was a joke but thank you very much. IUP got the top seed in 2017 because it was the only top seed to make the final four. IUP blew it big time because D2 was in a down year nationally that year but the past two years were much stronger. We really had a legit shot having most of the national powers not having typical years.

SOS by just looking at the numbers on the spreadsheet doesn't really tell the story of how strong that schedulle REALLY was....something that doesn't seem to compute in a certain people's heads.
      Last edited by IUPNation; 12-16-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• In Division 2....you have to come up with a process that is almost like playing The Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon. This team played that team who played this team and yadda yadda yadda,

Quite frankly, if we are going to keep this regional setup, the NCAA should require every team to play one team OOC. No insular conference scheduling. You have to be able to compare the body of work.

Comment

• Comment

• I would say if you took the best player at every position in the Pee Sack and made them one team...then yes...they could do some damage.

Again...PA has too many schools with a decreasing high school population to draw from within the Commonwealth.

Any Pee Sack school with foosball national title aspirations are going to have to start recruiting in Flori-duh, Jawja, Texastand, Kollyfornia...go into Ohio..maybe even Meatchicken. There is talent to tap in New Jersey...which has no D2 teams. This will all take more money. Pee Sack West schools need to stop believing the withering WPIAL is going to keep feeding them players. Pee Sack schools one needs to get tuition lowered...then charge In State rates to all out of state student athletes...to compete with the Northwest Misery and Grand Valley's who can use state taxpayer funds to pay for schollies. Or maybe have Pee Sack publics be allowed to use state funding for athletics.

There is reason for disparity and why some schools in the south and midwest have it so easy and why we struggle. Our Commonwealth and The Home Office In Lock Haven do nobody any favors. The IUP Rule set back this conference for years and we still haven't fixed the damage it caused. Remember...Clarion in 97 or 98 was in the Semi Finals...only a few years into the Rule...but the damage was done in the 2000's...as Northwest Misery, Valdosta, and Grand Valley upped the ante from the 90's.

Just sayin....

Comment

• You know how many kids that would be studs in the PSAC or GMAC are choosing to walk onto Ohio State Penn State, Pitt just to run down on a kick off in a white out a couple times is more intriguing than 4 years of D2 stardom lol

Comment

In Division 2....you have to come up with a process that is almost like playing The Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon. This team played that team who played this team and yadda yadda yadda,

Quite frankly, if we are going to keep this regional setup, the NCAA should require every team to play one team OOC. No insular conference scheduling. You have to be able to compare the body of work.
                That just doesnt work. You cant do that. Teams have injuries and other issues for one game that affect them. You cant say, well mankato beat Sioux Falls by 10, and then Sioux Falls beat Bemidji by 12, so Mankato would beat Bemidji by 22.

I assume most people in the NSIC would love to have an OOC game. We dont control that though. But even with one OOC game its still tough to compare. Mankato beats Mines by 5, then Mines bats Pueblo by 4, you cant assume Mankato would beat Pueblo by 9.

D2 football is just such a tough sport to rank and seed teams. Conferences are all different sizes and all have their own rules and regulations and way they do things. You cant insert subjective opinions in seeding either.

Comment

In Division 2....you have to come up with a process that is almost like playing The Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon. This team played that team who played this team and yadda yadda yadda,

Let's be clear. We're talking about the semifinal games only. Who gets the home game doesn't seem to be a problem in intraregional play. The NC is at a neutral location.

If you're throwing ideas around why not have the semis at neutral locations? Nobody attended the games on campus, anyway.

Another option is to draw straws.
                  Last edited by iupgroundhog; 12-16-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• They had you team near the top and Slimey 9th.

Guess they did know.

Comment

They had you team near the top and Slimey 9th.

Guess they did know.
                      West florida was ranked below every team they beat. So I guess they must have gotten that wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I did see that at Ship this year. There were some good individual skill players, but I didn't see the depth they had on coach Mac's better teams. The difference between the top few teams and rest of the league was really a chasm this year. A year after beating both Slippery Rock and Indiana, Ship wasn't even competitive with them this season. They did have some young guys playing and I'm hoping we'll see improvement next season. Discussion about the disparity in D2 scholarships is nothing new. I think there are only so many small schools with the desire and means to fund 30 or more scholarships. This probably wouldn't be a popular opinion, but I'm wondering if they shouldn't go to something like an NAIA model with a 24-schollie limit in football. I know the NCAA is generally sexier to most schools than the NAIA, but there are more than 160 schools playing D2, probably enough to add another NCAA division if there was a desire. Teams that wanted to go big could still go big. I'm just afraid you're going to see more schools drop out of D2 or drop football entirely if things go on as they are.

And I agree that you could fully fund some of our schools with the way it is now and probably still not be nationally competitive. The schools that have been doing well in the PSAC in recent years aren't necessarily the ones with the most scholarships.

Comment

• Originally posted by msumavfan View Post

That just doesnt work. You cant do that. Teams have injuries and other issues for one game that affect them. You cant say, well mankato beat Sioux Falls by 10, and then Sioux Falls beat Bemidji by 12, so Mankato would beat Bemidji by 22.

I assume most people in the NSIC would love to have an OOC game. We dont control that though. But even with one OOC game its still tough to compare. Mankato beats Mines by 5, then Mines bats Pueblo by 4, you cant assume Mankato would beat Pueblo by 9.

D2 football is just such a tough sport to rank and seed teams. Conferences are all different sizes and all have their own rules and regulations and way they do things. You cant insert subjective opinions in seeding either.

Comment

• Some of them should have dropped the sport long ago.

You spoke to Mac ... what did he say?

Comment

• Schools can get real creative with how they recruit and what they offer.

SRU's RB transfer from Seton Hill, for example, is on a full academic scholarship. He's there because they offered it to him and won the bidding war for his services. That's a full ride that doesn't show up on these 'athletic scholarship equivalency' b.s. reports we flaunt on here.

Comment

• Originally posted by msumavfan View Post

West florida was ranked below every team they beat. So I guess they must have gotten that wrong?
                                Last edited by IUPNation; 12-16-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X