Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Jeff Fisher (yes, that Jeff Fisher) has interviewed for the East Tennessee State job.

Seems like a fall down the ladder.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Kenny Pickett opts out.
    Smart move

He did his time. A meaningless bowl game isn't worth Round 1.

Sad for H2P as they will likely now get blown out.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Kenny Pickett opts out.

Leave a comment:

• CHIP72
    replied
    Texas assistant head coach Stan Drayton is the new coach at Temple.
    Not a fan of the hire:

*Drayton has never been a head coach or even a coordinator despite coaching for almost 30 years.

*Drayton hasn't coached in Temple's primary recruiting area since the late 1990s. (He spent one year at Penn in 1995 and four years at Villanova from 1996-1999.)

*Drayton is not a native of Temple's primary recruiting area. (He from the Cleveland area.)

For a school like Temple, you need someone who really knows Temple's recruiting area and isn't coming in cold.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Texas assistant head coach Stan Drayton is the new coach at Temple.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Something similar happened last year in basketball. The top recruit signed with Howard. Some thought it could start a frenzy of the top basketball players (which, many are African American) to start signing with the D1 HBCU's rather than the Duke's of the world.
    I think the momentum is still building and that could be a thing.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It should be interesting to see how much national attention comes to Deion and Jackson State. For those who don't know, the FCS HBCU schools don't participate in the playoff. They do bowl games. I feel like that limits his profile a bit, although maybe not much.

FCS probably hasn't had this much coverage since Steve McNair and Alcorn State.
    Something similar happened last year in basketball. The top recruit signed with Howard. Some thought it could start a frenzy of the top basketball players (which, many are African American) to start signing with the D1 HBCU's rather than the Duke's of the world.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Primetime just landed the No. 1 ranked recruit in America to Jackson State.

Wow
    It should be interesting to see how much national attention comes to Deion and Jackson State. For those who don't know, the FCS HBCU schools don't participate in the playoff. They do bowl games. I feel like that limits his profile a bit, although maybe not much.

FCS probably hasn't had this much coverage since Steve McNair and Alcorn State.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    D1 football will soon have NIL money launderers on staff. Tressel could still be at Ohio st and Maurice Clarett could be retired and never even played in the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied

Wow
    I wonder if he signed his NIL with Prime Inc already too.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    I'd like to see the group of 5 conferences have an 8 team tournament instead of the crappy bowl schedule about to start. A goup of 5 championship tournament. It would have to make more money and have more interest than the next week or so of bowl games.

The one thing I like about not having a bigger 1A championship bracket is the regular season means so much more in college football. It's basically an elimination tournament all season. I think you could go up to 8 teams and still keep the excitement of the regular season.

I'd think anyone making money off big time college football would want the biggest bracket possible. A 16 team tournament would be 15 playoff games compared to 3 currently.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Wow

Leave a comment:

• CHIP72
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Out of curiosity, how many teams would you like to see in the playoff and how would you choose them?
    Not that you are asking me, but I'd like to see a 16 team playoff with all 10 FBS conference champions and 6 at-large teams. Also, all games through the semifinals would be played at the higher seeded team's stadium. (The championship game would be at a rotating neutral site. The bowls could still exist for teams that either don't make the playoff or are eliminated in the first round or quarterfinals.)

If the people running DI-A/FBS would push back against so many automatic bids for conference champions, then I'd like to see a 16 team field where the top seven conference champions (most likely the five P5 conference winners and top two G5 conference champs) are guaranteed spots and any other G5 conference champions ranked in the top 24/25 teams receive earned access into the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    I agree. The current system and anything that supports the P5/G5 caste system also exacerbates that gap and creates an artificial barrier for programs to elevate themselves. But the remnants of the BCS cartel will always work to exclude those they view as unworthy.
    You guys both are 100% correct. However ...

The College Football Playoff is not owned or managed by the NCAA, as the basketball tournaments and FCS, D2 and D3 football playoffs are. The CFP was created by the 10 FBS conferences, five with seats at the Big Kids Table (P5) and five with seats at the Little Kids Table (G5). It exists to do two things: crown what it deems to be the national champion, and to make as much money as possible for its conferences, schools, and partners (mainly ESPN).

You are absolutely right that it is not inclusive of every school or conference in its selections, and it creates artificial tiers that some schools may never overcome. But those are the unintentional consequences.

The NCAA exists to do many things, include spread opportunities and share income, but it has no control over the CFP. For years, they were begged to create a D1 playoff, and they did not. So the conferences did it themselves. Maybe the NCAA could recognize all the money flowing to the CFP and create its own tournament based on the ideals you support. But I doubt the Alabamas, Ohio States, or Oklahomas of the FBS world would stray from the gravy train. In fact, I'd say the clock is ticking on an imminent fracture of D1 where the P5 schools break off and form their own governing body.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I agree. The current system and anything that supports the P5/G5 caste system also exacerbates that gap and creates an artificial barrier for programs to elevate themselves. But the remnants of the BCS cartel will always work to exclude those they view as unworthy.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X