X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Good win for Pitt today. I fully expected the implosion that happened at the end, but was shocked that they got into field goal range with 35 seconds left and no timeouts. Why on Earth Narduzzi didn’t just kick the field goal instead of going for it on fourth and two is beyond me. That would have ended it right there and their kicker is money. Then the two timeouts on defense back-to-back?

Anyway…it’s a bowl win and against a good opponent. Something to build on.
    Makes you wonder if Patti played all year instead of train-wreck Slovis.

Pitt's 8 best players sat out this game.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Good win for Pitt today. I fully expected the implosion that happened at the end, but was shocked that they got into field goal range with 35 seconds left and no timeouts. Why on Earth Narduzzi didn’t just kick the field goal instead of going for it on fourth and two is beyond me. That would have ended it right there and their kicker is money. Then the two timeouts on defense back-to-back?

Anyway…it’s a bowl win and against a good opponent. Something to build on.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Yes, I agree with you 100% on how big baseball is in the SEC. But still, at this time, D-I programs are only allowed 11.7 equivalent scholarships to divide among a roster of 40 players. So for players to be at least asking for full rides is just....ummmm....disrespectful. Perhaps asking for NIL money to help cover tuition costs, but I do not understand the full scholarship demands.
    This coach is in the south, but not the type of conference you would think of. I don’t agree with it myself, but if I’m a sought after player and am being recruited by multiple schools, you should expect to get the going price. I guess the saying goes “Don’t hate the player, hate the game.”

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

NCAA web page still shows at the Division II level baseball has a max of 9 equivalency scholarships per team. Has this recently change?
    I wonder how many Walk On U fund since they have been National Champions twice in the last 10 years and were in the final four last spring?

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Baseball is a headcount sport below D1.
    NCAA web page still shows at the Division II level baseball has a max of 9 equivalency scholarships per team. Has this recently change?

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Baseball is pretty big in the SEC. They get some big gates. Obviously not up here.
    Baseball is pretty big in the Big 12 too. But it'll take a hit when Texas and Oklahoma leave (pun intended) for the SEC.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

EyeoftheHawk - you GOTTA be KIDDING !!! I mean....Baseball is not a Head Count sport, and these kids are asking for a full ride AND money? WOW!! I thought it would certainly get out of hand with the Head Count sports (Football and Basketball), but I did not consider the other sports.
    Baseball is a headcount sport below D1.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

Baseball is pretty big in the SEC. They get some big gates. Obviously not up here.
    Yes, I agree with you 100% on how big baseball is in the SEC. But still, at this time, D-I programs are only allowed 11.7 equivalent scholarships to divide among a roster of 40 players. So for players to be at least asking for full rides is just....ummmm....disrespectful. Perhaps asking for NIL money to help cover tuition costs, but I do not understand the full scholarship demands.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

EyeoftheHawk - you GOTTA be KIDDING !!! I mean....Baseball is not a Head Count sport, and these kids are asking for a full ride AND money? WOW!! I thought it would certainly get out of hand with the Head Count sports (Football and Basketball), but I did not consider the other sports.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

It’s getting completely out of hand. I was talking to a DI baseball coach tonight and he said they can’t even shop the portal because kids want full rides and $50k in cash! We’re not talking LSU or Vanderbilt here either. This isn’t headed to a good place when it comes to competitive balance in collegiate athletics.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    RMU, who laid a goose egg this year, released their 2023 schedule. Their annual mercenary game is Air Force (the former president was an all american RB in the early 90s) but the real head scratcher is Sept 23 against Virginia University of Lynchburg, a very small historically Black Bible college. They play in the USCCA, not even NAIA.
    Not too much of a head-scratcher to me. VUL played a slate of D-I schools last year:

https://vul.prestosports.com/sports/...22-23/schedule

As you can see, they generally do not fare well . But perhaps RMU is trying to get at least one victory under their belt in 2023.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Kedon Slovis to BYU

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Sounds like Gannon basketball (despite the 0-8 record and all).
    Remember when people were questioning Joe not recruiting Ike Herster since he was in Joe’s back yard. Well, you’re seeing those reasons I stated in full force now!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

It's now the era of, "I gotta get mine." Entitlement is killing this world!
    Sounds like Gannon basketball (despite the 0-8 record and all).

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

It’s getting completely out of hand. I was talking to a DI baseball coach tonight and he said they can’t even shop the portal because kids want full rides and $50k in cash! We’re not talking LSU or Vanderbilt here either. This isn’t headed to a good place when it comes to competitive balance in collegiate athletics.
    It's now the era of, "I gotta get mine." Entitlement is killing this world!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X