X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

When you say "buzz" is that talking heads just throwing names out there as "candidates" who are actually just people who's names they know? Or is that sources from Alabama saying they've been in contact? Dan Lanning pushed team meetings back 2 hours today and there was a private charter from Eugene, Oregon to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. That's buzz.

Personally don't think they are going to be interested in Lane Kiffin. Good coach, but he's not Alabama's head coach (at least not this version of Alabama). He's mellowed out a lot, but he comes with some baggage and antics. I also genuinely think he's enjoying his time and happy at Ole Miss. I get that's not Bama, but few have the makeup or temperament to be the head guy there.

Not sure why Sark is getting a ton of buzz. He's been a P5 head coach 10 years. He's won 10+ games one time. But I get recency bias carries a lot of weight.

I bet a guy like Mike Norvell is attractive to them. Young and quickly turned around a struggling Florida State program. Done very well with building his program through a combination of high school recruits and transfers. He's a great mix of what you want in a coach nowadays. And I bet he's very interested. Florida State had a ton of seniors.
    Not to mention Sark is a huge PR risk. Potential to be the Bob Huggins of college football.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I don't think they would actually pull the trigger on that. I haven't been on twitter this morning to see anything new, but as of last night Dan Lanning was the hot name. Young, successful, and an up and comer. He also was a GA or down the line assistant for Saban a while back.

I always envisioned that Dabo would be the ideal choice to replace Saban when he inevitably did step down.
    Lanning has said repeatedly he's not leaving Oregon. It is a great job and he's swimming in money.

That said, Tuscaloosa changes a lot of minds.

It's never easy to follow a God-like figure -- especially down south.

But, money talks. And, they have a ton of it.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Following God is never easy.

Sark is getting a lot of buzz as is Lane Kiffin.

Some are even pushing for Dabo

We're about to see how loyal some of these coaches are when the phone rings and it's from Tuscaloosa. That class that just signed at XYZ Football Factory? Good luck. Bye.
    When you say "buzz" is that talking heads just throwing names out there as "candidates" who are actually just people who's names they know? Or is that sources from Alabama saying they've been in contact? Dan Lanning pushed team meetings back 2 hours today and there was a private charter from Eugene, Oregon to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. That's buzz.

Personally don't think they are going to be interested in Lane Kiffin. Good coach, but he's not Alabama's head coach (at least not this version of Alabama). He's mellowed out a lot, but he comes with some baggage and antics. I also genuinely think he's enjoying his time and happy at Ole Miss. I get that's not Bama, but few have the makeup or temperament to be the head guy there.

Not sure why Sark is getting a ton of buzz. He's been a P5 head coach 10 years. He's won 10+ games one time. But I get recency bias carries a lot of weight.

I bet a guy like Mike Norvell is attractive to them. Young and quickly turned around a struggling Florida State program. Done very well with building his program through a combination of high school recruits and transfers. He's a great mix of what you want in a coach nowadays. And I bet he's very interested. Florida State had a ton of seniors.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It'll be interesting to see how Fickell does after some time at Wisconsin. I thought they made a big mistake getting away from the physical style that has been successful for them over the years. Paul Chryst got a raw deal there in my opinion. Had a good deal of success and then was shown the door after one so-so year. I think he had earned more than that.
    He should have waited just one more year. He would have been a serious contender for the Bama job. His team he had coming back at Cincy likely would have hindered his W/L record, which may have also been why he jumped at the Wisconsin job realizing that was a good opportunity and a better one may not come open.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Don't rule out Urban Meyer to Alabama. It's getting talking-head buzz.

NFL disaster, yes, but superstar in college.

I don't see it but it wouldn't shock me.
    I don't think they would actually pull the trigger on that. I haven't been on twitter this morning to see anything new, but as of last night Dan Lanning was the hot name. Young, successful, and an up and comer. He also was a GA or down the line assistant for Saban a while back.

I always envisioned that Dabo would be the ideal choice to replace Saban when he inevitably did step down.

EDIT: As of 23 minutes ago, Dan Lanning announced to his team that he turned down the Bama job.
    Last edited by IUP24; 01-11-2024, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Urban actually stated the opposite. He hated how little access he had to the players.
    What ultimately makes guys like Meyer great coaches at the college level is the level of control they are able to have over players. You can control and manage every minute of their lives at the college level. These guys treat pro football in many cases like a 9-5. They live a life outside of work and Urban Meyer has no say over that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Steve Spurrier was another classic example when he went from Florida to the Redskins. He found that pro coaching was almost a 24-7 grind, and he didn't want to work that hard.
    Urban actually stated the opposite. He hated how little access he had to the players.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Very true. Saban didn't exactly set the world on fire at Miami.
    Steve Spurrier was another classic example when he went from Florida to the Redskins. He found that pro coaching was almost a 24-7 grind, and he didn't want to work that hard.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Very true. Saban didn't exactly set the world on fire at Miami.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I bet this next coach - especially if an established P5 head coach - will make $15-20M a year.
    I don't think there's any question it will be a massive name P5 coach. This is Alabama.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I bet this next coach - especially if an established P5 head coach - will make $15-20M a year.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I tend to agree with this in principle. Ohio State is not nearly as physical as they once were. I think Michigan is constructed to play football a different way. And I don't think that's necessarily limited to the B1G. I think that is true for them compared to everybody else too. At every position, they are just bigger, stronger, and more physical. They are built like an NFL team looked like 15 years ago.

That's why I think it took people so long to recognize how good they were this year. They were just nonchalantly winning games with their QB throwing for 140 yards and never having the outcome never in doubt. It isn't like the Steelers of this year, winning games very ugly and appearing to have to strain to get a first down. They beat Penn State and never threw a pass for 2.5 quarters, but were never in any danger of losing. They were just so overpowering wire to wire all season, but it didn't necessarily always reflect by looking at crazy offensive numbers.

I think the best matchup would have been Michigan-Georgia. But Georgia lost their playoff game that would've given them the opportunity to create that matchup. So it is what it is. They won all the games but the one they absolutely needed to have.
    It'll be interesting to see how Fickell does after some time at Wisconsin. I thought they made a big mistake getting away from the physical style that has been successful for them over the years. Paul Chryst got a raw deal there in my opinion. Had a good deal of success and then was shown the door after one so-so year. I think he had earned more than that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post

If I were a Bama fan, I would be pushing for DeBoer. But I think it really could be just about anyone
    Following God is never easy.

Sark is getting a lot of buzz as is Lane Kiffin.

Some are even pushing for Dabo

We're about to see how loyal some of these coaches are when the phone rings and it's from Tuscaloosa. That class that just signed at XYZ Football Factory? Good luck. Bye.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Hopefully James Tenandtwo. He can infect Alabamastan with those ESU cooties.....Penn State has had enough of it.
    Bama would touch James Franklin if he worked for free.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X