Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

What is the PSAC average per game, per team? I don't know ... but I'd guess 4 to 8 flags per game. They happen. Holding. Offsides. False starts. You're going to get some. Inevitable. Same as high school, D1 and the NFL.

Control what you can control. The stupid personal fouls actually can be controlled. Those are the ones that drive me nuts. That's a quick 15. If on D, that's 15 and an automatic first down. Momentum killers.

I still want to see the 'taunting' in Duane's called back TD against Kutztown.
    I didn't see the game but maybe it could be heard and not seen?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That was the officials' initial response to Tort. Then he changed his story. And, he was about 30 yards away when he threw the flag. No way he heard anything.

They then gave IUP a make-up roughing the passer a play or so later and luckily IUP punched it in that drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It might be that when you're playing a poor defensive team such as Clarion your offense is out on the field for a lot of plays, and when you're running a lot more plays than your opponent I would guess that would create the opportunity for more penalties.
        So just for the heck of it I decided to take a look at penalties so far in Ship's games this year. Our season high for penalties so far is nine (twice) when we ran 90 plays against Clarion and 79 against Bloomsburg. In our other games, we had seven flags while running 66 plays against Edinboro, and four penalties in 69 plays against West Virginia State. So, at least so far, more plays in one-sided games result in more penalties. Another factor in runaway games might be that second- and third-string players see the field and their lack of game-condition reps often result in motion penalties, holding, etc.
        Last edited by Ship69; 09-29-2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I would be interested in the mostly avoidable penalties for IUP like Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Unnecessary Roughness resulting from late hits, etc. It comes off as a lack of discipline but is there something in IUP's defensive culture that leads to those kinds of penalties where everybody just shakes their head. Is it aggressiveness that actually pays off in other plays?

A couple weeks ago Streater had an unsportsmanlike penalty. He just looked frustrated but everybody was saying IUP showed no life against Shep, maybe he was trying to motivate the defense?

Let me qualify, not saying penalties are good, either, but just asking a question. Like against Shep, I think the games with the unsportsmanliketype penalties probably end up as losses more often.

If memory serves they were still in the game at the time of Streater's penalty. I remember it. He made a play and got a little too animated. Ten years ago it wouldn't have even been considered a flag but today it is. If you're facing your opponent and give arm movements, etc., ... you're probably getting the flag.

As a whole, I don't think they get too many of the stupid flags on defense. Here and there. They get crushed on special teams -- kickoff and kick return. You get those guys locked up and they just want to keep going after the whistle. Then the pushing starts and the flags fly. It's almost always far away from the ball. I think a lot of those guys don't see the field except in those instances and they get too amped up. Emotions get the best of them.

Comment

My error. I just vividly remember they let so much stuff go that day.

Comment

• Final score was deceiving. IUP was up 28-0 at half and then scored 14 more in the third. Tort called the dogs off and then GU got some garbage points at the end.

This is a new regime now up there. We'll see what happens in 72 hours.

Comment

• Field Hockey has a night game going on ... imagine that.

Comment

Field Hockey has a night game going on ... imagine that.
                  Our field hockey ladies don't get to play under the lights -- and they're No. 1 in the nation.

Comment

Final score was deceiving. IUP was up 28-0 at half and then scored 14 more in the third. Tort called the dogs off and then GU got some garbage points at the end.

This is a new regime now up there. We'll see what happens in 72 hours.

Comment

Field Hockey has a night game going on ... imagine that.
                      Calling a record attendance I say 10 people in the stands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Comment

• You know, I think I recall someone saying that it came from away from the play. The field judge should have spoken up.

Comment

• Consistency is the issue with taunting and personal fouls.

I've seen way worse not called through three games than what I've seen called.

Football is an emotional game. They want them to play like robots all the sudden. But, btw, go out and try and knock your opponent to next week.

I'm just waiting for the flag to fly the next time a player gets up after getting a first down and does the point downfield thing they all do now.

Comment

• I have no big problem with the point thing after first down, etc. On the other hand I've seen players do that when their team is down by 30 points, which I find a little ridiculous. As a defensive player in that situation, my response would obviously be, "Scoreboard, man."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                                I have no big problem with the point thing after first down, etc. On the other hand I've seen players do that when their team is down by 30 points, which I find a little ridiculous. As a defensive player in that situation, my response would obviously be, "Scoreboard, man."
                                Agreed. I'm just not sure -- by the new definition of 'taunting' ... how that isn't in fact 'taunting'.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X