Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Third dump of public comments are now available (with the previous two) at passhe.edu/publiccomment

Something that came to mind reading through them: these integrations will make small, annual alumni donations more difficult to obtain. Previously, the challenge had been a perception that the state provides so much funding that smaller annual gifts were unnecessary, that the impact of a smaller annual gift is negligible, or that there is mistrust on how the money will be used especially if "unrestricted." These integrations add a new layer: mistrust or confusion whether a financial donation will benefit the campus that person attended. Our alumni giving rates are already single digits - prepare to be decimated.
    So are the individual alumni groups going away?

Also, will the budgets for Pennsylvania Western University and Northeastern PA State University be integrated with distribution to the campuses coming from main campus or will it still come through directly from PASSHE?

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

So are the individual alumni groups going away?

Also, will the budgets for Pennsylvania Western University and Northeastern PA State University be integrated with distribution to the campuses coming from main campus or will it still come through directly from PASSHE?
      No and no. All three schools' Alumni Associations are legally separate 501c3 non-profits with their own revenue streams. Its my understanding that alumni engagement & fundraising offices are being combined and staffing is being determined based on need. Some schools have staff for functions that others do not (for example, Edinboro has the only prospect researcher and Clarion has the only athletics fundraiser). Funding will remain from the state through PASSHE to the schools. For example, Pennsylvania Western will have one budget and will receive one bulk appropriation of state funding.

Comment

No and no. All three schools' Alumni Associations are legally separate 501c3 non-profits with their own revenue streams. Its my understanding that alumni engagement & fundraising offices are being combined and staffing is being determined based on need. Some schools have staff for functions that others do not (for example, Edinboro has the only prospect researcher and Clarion has the only athletics fundraiser). Funding will remain from the state through PASSHE to the schools. For example, Pennsylvania Western will have one budget and will receive one bulk appropriation of state funding.
        Ok. So how much money Clarion Campus will get will be determined by PAW main campus based on what the PASSHE provides to PAW.

Comment

• we have a war chest worth $300 million over four years.

Chancellor's Blog: July 2021 (chancellorgreenstein.blogspot.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Ok. So how much money Clarion Campus will get will be determined by PAW main campus based on what the PASSHE provides to PAW.
            For budgets of funds that comes through Tuition and from the State...since there is 1 budget, that will be however the President and Cabinet allocate it.

For fundraising through the Foundations, it's a different story as they are separate entities.

Comment

• Retention rates listed for the gang of six.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202107110209

Comment

• Today is the vote. From what I hear, I'd say some 90% chance this gets voted through.

I hear a lot of people saying that they think this will be delayed, but I don't see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
                  Today is the vote. From what I hear, I'd say some 90% chance this gets voted through.

I hear a lot of people saying that they think this will be delayed, but I don't see it.
                  Yeah I bet 2 maybe 3 no votes. Bogle and his close contacts. Everyone else in lockstep with the Giant Eagle heiress.

Comment

Yeah I bet 2 maybe 3 no votes. Bogle and his close contacts. Everyone else in lockstep with the Giant Eagle heiress.
                    So there are what 3 student trustees? Maybe they vote no. Bogle votes no. I think 1 member voted no for the 1st round. So that's potential of 5. But, I doubt all of the students vote No.

So I think there are 19 members as there is 1 vacant seat. So they need 2/3 to pass...so they'd need what 7 against? I don't see 7 people voting against it.

The politicians on the board seem highly for it from what I can deduce.

Comment

So there are what 3 student trustees? Maybe they vote no. Bogle votes no. I think 1 member voted no for the 1st round. So that's potential of 5. But, I doubt all of the students vote No.

So I think there are 19 members as there is 1 vacant seat. So they need 2/3 to pass...so they'd need what 7 against? I don't see 7 people voting against it.

The politicians on the board seem highly for it from what I can deduce.
                      I doubt it. Students are face-value yes men on these things. They are afraid to rock the boat with all the suits around. One of the student members is an Edinboro student. I doubt he votes no. Edinboro has been strangely rosy about this - except faculty and alumni.

Comment

I doubt it. Students are face-value yes men on these things. They are afraid to rock the boat with all the suits around. One of the student members is an Edinboro student. I doubt he votes no. Edinboro has been strangely rosy about this - except faculty and alumni.
                        I think as I skimmed through batch 3 of the comments that I read a comment for the Integration from a VP there. Basically that the Integration was their best hope to analyze issues and implement some new thinking/strategy going forward.

Comment

I think as I skimmed through batch 3 of the comments that I read a comment for the Integration from a VP there. Basically that the Integration was their best hope to analyze issues and implement some new thinking/strategy going forward.
                          Yeah their VP of Finance. I was surprised to read that too. Edinboro's case started with strategic whiplash and was compounded by very poor performance in recruiting new students and creating a student experience that kept them there. Worst part is that people on campus know it to be true and feel powerless or voiceless. I believe Edinboro could rebound if they just got people in there to do the job right. The financial problem and the enrollment problems are symbiotic. The housing debt isn't a problem if they figured out how to fill beds. I'd be interested in knowing under the current budget what the "break-even" enrollment would be to end the deficit budgets.

But its emblematic of the whole problem with the triads. We're expecting schools that have underperformed on recruiting & retaining students to suddenly reverse course just because they have a new name & shared leadership team. Very little else is changing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                            Retention rates listed for the gang of six.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202107110209
                            Would be good to also see their Pell percentages too. At one point Edinboro had the second-highest percentage of Pell eligible students. Those are the least wealthy families and the least likely to be able to continue or make it to graduation. Plus grad rate includes transfers, drop outs, fail outs, etc. and excludes part-time, adults, international, and transfers. Its percentage of full-time freshmen who graduate from the same school with 6 years of starting. Most of us know someone who changed their major and it extended their time. There should be an "average time to graduation" metric for schools to report.

The system-wide rates aren't terrible and are pretty much in line with other similar schools elsewhere, public and private.

Comment

But its emblematic of the whole problem with the triads. We're expecting schools that have underperformed on recruiting & retaining students to suddenly reverse course just because they have a new name & shared leadership team. Very little else is changing.
                              Indeed...and with the same management teams!

I read another comment that was like: Hey, why don't you do a search for new leadership that can run a successful school.

Comment

• Wow. Edinboro's COT Chair just called in for the Integration too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X