Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      I'm not a career academic. I work in the business world.

Question I have is who in the freak is going to want to go to an online triad or an on-campus triad (which will soon feel like PSU-BFE)?

SRU and IUP are going to blow up in the West. The rest .... yikes. Walk the plank.

This all seems like a smoke show so in 4 years they can say at least they tried.
      I agree that it seems like it may fail. But, I 100% believe that they think this will succeed wildly. Like they think that this school will be in demand and attract a lot of students.

As far as IUP and SRU growing? We'll see. IUP seems to have their own issues. I think you may see students go to other non-PASSHE schools instead of this Triad.

I've heard some rumors that there may be quite the enrollment hit at some of these Triad schools for this Fall. (It's still around a month out from start of classes so things can change.) But, with these hits, we'll see if IUP and SRU gain enrollment.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

I agree that it seems like it may fail. But, I 100% believe that they think this will succeed wildly. Like they think that this school will be in demand and attract a lot of students.

As far as IUP and SRU growing? We'll see. IUP seems to have their own issues. I think you may see students go to other non-PASSHE schools instead of this Triad.

I've heard some rumors that there may be quite the enrollment hit at some of these Triad schools for this Fall. (It's still around a month out from start of classes so things can change.) But, with these hits, we'll see if IUP and SRU gain enrollment.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
          Boooooooooooo! Not a fan of this at all.

The solution was to divert state funding from the state relateds.
          Yeah that would have made too much sense. Also a lot of the politicians went to them and a lot of voters do.

In the grand scheme of things, while hundreds of people called in and commented against this...PASSHE is relatively small potatoes compared to these other entities. And, for all the employees that complained, it was pointed out how there was a lack of students. And the surveys kind of showed that students are more open to that.

That said, I think no matter what objections came up...the board was moving forward with this. Greenstein can basically do what he wants with PASSHE.

Comment

• I think the PASSHE issues are largely cost. We generally have nice campuses. The education quality is ok at the schools.

But, these Triads won't lower cost...so I don't know.

Comment

I think this year will be a tough one to create a baseline. Enrollments won't be back to normal due to Covid. I'm hearing the expectation at ESU is for about 70% capacity.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I think this year will be a tough one to create a baseline. Enrollments won't be back to normal due to Covid. I'm hearing the expectation at ESU is for about 70% capacity.
                Very possible. But, wow if a school loses 10% enrollment more than anticipated for instance...that could really blow up the sustainability plans thus requiring more lay-offs...unless the state uses some of the extra funds to balance their budgets.

Comment

I think the PASSHE issues are largely cost. We generally have nice campuses. The education quality is ok at the schools.

But, these Triads won't lower cost...so I don't know.
                  For PASSHE schools, cost is the only advantage they have over a big state related or private school. They need to focus on being the Walmart of college education in PA...Fair quality at good prices marketed to the masses. Their focus shouldn't be on competing with PSU, Temple, or quasi-elite private schools...It should be on competing/partnering with Community Colleges to capture a larger % of students that opt for CC out of HS AND capturing the students as they come out of the CC pipeline.

Comment

• Were I an alum of one of the four schools, I would be absolutely livid.

Hell, I'm livid anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                      Were I an alum of one of the four schools, I would be absolutely livid.

Hell, I'm livid anyway.
                      Well...They've had 10 years to be livid at the decisions made by their schools and they didn't appear to either care or be concerned as their alma maters slipped from record enrollment to the brink of outright closure...Doubt there will be a ground swell of alumni concern now. Will some complain and perhaps loudly? Sure. But for most, to paraphrase the words of an old insurance company commercial, They care...but they don't CARE care.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                        Were I an alum of one of the four schools, I would be absolutely livid.

Hell, I'm livid anyway.
                        Oh I'd imagine giving will be down.

And, I think there's a chance this is a Phase 1. Like there could be another round of schools Integrated.

My guess and it's only a guess is that PASSHE will end up being 4-6 schools total when this is done. That might be some years down the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Well...They've had 10 years to be livid at the decisions made by their schools and they didn't appear to either care or be concerned as their alma maters slipped from record enrollment to the brink of outright closure...Doubt there will be a ground swell of alumni concern now. Will some complain and perhaps loudly? Sure. But for most, to paraphrase the words of an old insurance company commercial, They care...but they don't CARE care.
                          Yep. And I applaud PASSHE Defenders, PA Publics, Save our Schools, and the Unions...but this was likely a fight that no matter how much they fought...they weren't winning.

I mean there was a letter from one of the Community College Associations that was like - Hey you didn't talk to us. We think your projections of how many transfers you'll get from us may be off. And some other stuff that I think needed attention paid to it.

The Student Governors spoke glowingly about this. It was pretty clear that if someone had issues with the Integration, that some of the other BOG would talk through it with them until they came over to the Yes side.

Comment

Oh I'd imagine giving will be down.

And, I think there's a chance this is a Phase 1. Like there could be another round of schools Integrated.

My guess and it's only a guess is that PASSHE will end up being 4-6 schools total when this is done. That might be some years down the road.
                            I agree that this is Phase 1. The remaining 8 schools that were NOT part of Phase 1 probably have a very small window of time to turn themselves around and start slashing the red ink and ncreasing enrollment...and I'm not talking single digit enrollment increases or "increases in freshman class enrollment."

Phase 2 candidates: IUP/SRU/Ship (Central PA State) and Millersville/Kutz/ESU (Southeastern PA State).

That would give PASSHE four Universities serving all areas of the state along with a top performing school in the Philadelphia area and an HBCU.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I agree that this is Phase 1. The remaining 8 schools that were NOT part of Phase 1 probably have a very small window of time to turn themselves around and start slashing the red ink and ncreasing enrollment...and I'm not talking single digit enrollment increases or "increases in freshman class enrollment."

Phase 2 candidates: IUP/SRU/Ship (Central PA State) and Millersville/Kutz/ESU (Southeastern PA State).

That would give PASSHE four Universities serving all areas of the state along with a top performing school in the Philadelphia area and an HBCU.
                              I think that you're going to see atleast some online class sharing too between all schools over the next 1 to 3+ years.

Comment

• Bloomsburg
                                https://www.inquirer.com/education/p...-20210715.html

No ****. It's six of one, half a dozen of another

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X