Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lock Haven & Mansfield merging was something i kept thinking would happen at some point. Now Clarion of course would probably have to come to California since they've dumped all that money into their arena and their athletic facilities are more modern than Clarion maybe they keep some buildings open on the Clarion campus for non traditional students, graduate classes and certificate programs but no dorms or athletics. If Cheyney can somehow raise themselves from the dead, stabilize their finances, enrollment and accreditation they could thrive in this current climate. HBCU in the northeast for kids in PA, NJ, DE and NJ to attend that is only a hour or two away from home, rich history, and if they can get money to restart athletics and upgrade the gym and stadium they could do fairly well. In a perfect scenario I could see them having 2500-3000 students and a great athletic program with both FB/BB and track & field.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
      Lock Haven & Mansfield merging was something i kept thinking would happen at some point. Now Clarion of course would probably have to come to California since they've dumped all that money into their arena and their athletic facilities are more modern than Clarion maybe they keep some buildings open on the Clarion campus for non traditional students, graduate classes and certificate programs but no dorms or athletics. If Cheyney can somehow raise themselves from the dead, stabilize their finances, enrollment and accreditation they could thrive in this current climate. HBCU in the northeast for kids in PA, NJ, DE and NJ to attend that is only a hour or two away from home, rich history, and if they can get money to restart athletics and upgrade the gym and stadium they could do fairly well. In a perfect scenario I could see them having 2500-3000 students and a great athletic program with both FB/BB and track & field.
      I think Cheyney can (is on the road to?) recover. But I think the return to DII athletics isn't going to happen any time soon...MAYBE they return as a D3 program in 5 or 6 years but even then, I don't envision football in their future.

Lock Haven/Mansfield merger (or partnership or whatever non-threatning word they want to use) is the most problematic of the bunch. Can you make one viable University out of two failing ones? The Cal/Clarion merger has more potential but I note that Greinstein specifically mentioned Cal as one of the PASSHE universities he was concerned about. Certainly the Cal/Clarion merger is not on as shaky ground as Mansfield/Lock Haven, but apparently it is more shakey than SRU/Edinboro. For us sports fans, the question is how will the athletic landscape shake out at these merged schools...specifically, football and basketball? IMHO, here is how things break out:

Lock Haven/Mansfield - LH keeps football, Mansfield keeps mens and womens basketball. Other sports are distributed between the two with no overlap. But if money is truly a problem even after merger, I could envision the dropping of football and the dropping of both schools to D3 with the remaining sports split between the two campuses.
      Cal/Clarion - Cal keeps football and mens/womens basketball. Some secondary sports are given to Clarion.
      SRU/Edinboro - I could envision both schools keeping football and basketball.
      Last edited by boatcapt; 07-17-2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Been around these things a long time. Co-ops leads to combinations..., to mergers..., to consolidations..., to Community Colleges or bye bye for the unlucky smaller school. It may takes a decade or so but it will happen. Immutable law of the universe BIG FISH eat Little Fish. The Bd of govs are just trying to use a little Ky-Gel to ease the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I think Cheyney can (is on the road to?) recover. But I think the return to DII athletics isn't going to happen any time soon...MAYBE they return as a D3 program in 5 or 6 years but even then, I don't envision football in their future.

Lock Haven/Mansfield merger (or partnership or whatever non-threatning word they want to use) is the most problematic of the bunch. Can you make one viable University out of two failing ones? The Cal/Clarion merger has more potential but I note that Greinstein specifically mentioned Cal as one of the PASSHE universities he was concerned about. Certainly the Cal/Clarion merger is not on as shaky ground as Mansfield/Lock Haven, but apparently it is more shakey than SRU/Edinboro. For us sports fans, the question is how will the athletic landscape shake out at these merged schools...specifically, football and basketball? IMHO, here is how things break out:

Lock Haven/Mansfield - LH keeps football, Mansfield keeps mens and womens basketball. Other sports are distributed between the two with no overlap. But if money is truly a problem even after merger, I could envision the dropping of football and the dropping of both schools to D3 with the remaining sports split between the two campuses.
          Cal/Clarion - Cal keeps football and mens/womens basketball. Some secondary sports are given to Clarion.
          SRU/Edinboro - I could envision both schools keeping football and basketball.
          Don't really think CLARION has had the athletic history to justify having any sports on campus. Way back when they were outstanding in wrestling and well above average in football and basketball. Recently they seem to have fallen on hard time. At the same time CAL came out of a deep valley of mediocrity when AA showed up and along with 4 team NCs and 2 individual ones, have been more than competitive in most sports so even putting aside my rooting interest, I don't believe the VULCANS should give up anything unless their administration thinks it wise.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Don't really think CLARION has had the athletic history to justify having any sports on campus. Way back when they were outstanding in wrestling and well above average in football and basketball. Recently they seem to have fallen on hard time. At the same time CAL came out of a deep valley of mediocrity when AA showed up and along with 4 team NCs and 2 individual ones, have been more than competitive in most sports so even putting aside my rooting interest, I don't believe the VULCANS should give up anything unless their administration thinks it wise.
            Clarion really had an epic fall in athletics.

For the somewhat older crowd on here, it wasn't really all that long ago when Clarion had some outstanding football and men's basketball teams.

Recall they made the football Final Four in 1996. As a long-time PSAC basketball fan, trust me they had some really good teams as recent as the early 2000s.

Fast forward a bit and football had a winless season and a one-win campaign. The men's basketball program there has become, well, horrific.

Clarion is a nice town up in the mountains. Very remote. The campus is nice in kind of a 1980s way. I hope it survives.

Their football program has made strides under Chris Weibel. They went from dumpster fire to kind of being an annoying, tough team to play. They've given Cal and IUP fits in the recent past.

Support seems to be totally lacking. Clarion is one of the road trips I go on in football and basketball. It's like a yearly home game for IUP in basketball. I've also been to football games there where IUP had more fans in the stadium.

They just pumped a fortune into Tippin Gymnasium. It turned out pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Clarion really had an epic fall in athletics.

For the somewhat older crowd on here, it wasn't really all that long ago when Clarion had some outstanding football and men's basketball teams.

Recall they made the football Final Four in 1996. As a long-time PSAC basketball fan, trust me they had some really good teams as recent as the early 2000s.

Fast forward a bit and football had a winless season and a one-win campaign. The men's basketball program there has become, well, horrific.

Clarion is a nice town up in the mountains. Very remote. The campus is nice in kind of a 1980s way. I hope it survives.

Their football program has made strides under Chris Weibel. They went from dumpster fire to kind of being an annoying, tough team to play. They've given Cal and IUP fits in the recent past.

Support seems to be totally lacking. Clarion is one of the road trips I go on in football and basketball. It's like a yearly home game for IUP in basketball. I've also been to football games there where IUP had more fans in the stadium.

They just pumped a fortune into Tippin Gymnasium. It turned out pretty nice.
              Maybe focus on M/W BB, M/W SWIMMING/DIVING, WRESTLING and VB to take advantage of renewed TIPPIN. I leave out FB simply because it throws Title IX all out of whack. Those six sports would be a pretty nice mix.
              Last edited by CALUPA69; 07-18-2020, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Maybe focus on M/W BB, M/W SWIMMING/DIVING, WRESTLING and VB to take advantage of renewed TIPPING. I leave out FB simply because it throws Title IX all out of whack. Those six sports would be a pretty nice mix.
                Cutting football also cuts out 80 or so students ... most paying their own way. Who knows. They are in a tough spot.

Comment

Inside Higher Ed letter quote

"Pennsylvania, you have an opportunity to go further. Why not pull the five western institutions: Edinboro, Clarion, Slippery Rock, Indiana, and California together into one cohesive unit. The same could happen for other state institutions. Lock Haven, Mansfield, Bloomsburg, and East Stroudsburg as one subset, and a Shippensburg, Millersville, Kutztown, West Chester, and Cheyney as an other. Then there would be three subsystems instead of 14 or even the proposed 11. Of course, from a simple map standpoint, one could argue the elimination of 2-3 campuses completely, including Clarion and Indiana, as well as West Chest/Cheyney and Kutztown. I am sure there are both programmatic and political reasons to keep all 14 open, but at what cost? At least their trying. Watch this scenario playout across the country in the next five years."

https://www.insidehighered.com/views...ampuses-letter

Comment

Cutting football also cuts out 80 or so students ... most paying their own way. Who knows. They are in a tough spot.
                    True, but the direction PASSHE is headed, something is hopefully better than nothing.

Comment

I think you just let in another 80 applicants. It's not hard at all.

Comment

I see a lot of effort to maintain the aura of independence among the schools identified. That's part of the reason I "threw Clarion a bone" in giving them a smattering of minor sports while giving the biggies to Cal. Take all sports from Clarion and you run the risk of pissing the Clarion area politicians off. Pissed off politicians already took the ability of the BOG to close/merge schools out of the current bill. Piss enough off with what the BOG does do during the 3 years they have the authority and the legislature will just un-do it when they get the power back!

Comment

All of these schools except IUP were much smaller than they are now not that long ago and they were fine.

The single most reason they are in trouble is the state fund them at 25-30% instead of the 70-75% percent they were funding 35 years ago.

Pitt is no longer financially in trouble. They don't need to be state related. Neither does Penn State or even Temple. The state needs to cut ties with them and let them swim on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think you just let in another 80 applicants. It's not hard at all.
                            Right because people are lining up to go to Clarion. They'd let in anybody with a pulse.

Comment

Things are often cyclical in collegiate athletics...In a few years Call could be back in the deep valley...Ya never know...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Things are often cyclical in collegiate athletics...In a few years Call could be back in the deep valley...Ya never know...
                                Absolutely but you shouldn't make decisions based on what may come to pass without reasonable expectations that they will. Viewing the last 20 years the GOLDEN EAGLES are not set up to succeed. Please note I suggested several sports they should continue, other than football, in which they have been competitive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X