Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    Click image for larger version Name:	infographic.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	522608

You might be right, I don't know.

But based on this graphic, LHU's enrollment is down 42% from where it was in 2010. Only Cheyney, Edinboro, and Mansfield have bigger drops.

If tuition was roughly $20k in 2010, that's $109 million in income. If it's $25k now, that's $79 million in income. That's a pretty serious drop in income from 10 years ago, even more so when you factor in inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
      I have a question and 2 points to throw out there.

==West Chester Model
      Matt or anyone else that knows,
      What has West Chester done in the last 9 years that led to their 22% increase in enrollment? Did they add new majors, add a grad program, reduce cost significantly, or developed a relationship with another school where part of program is at WC and part is at another school.
      I'm not sure if anybody really "knows."

Here is my answer.

#1 - The obvious and most cited reason is demographics. WCU recruits from a region where school-age population is growing and the rest of the schools do not.
      #2 - A highly effective advertising program encompassing print, radio, and TV. They advertised A LOT. The message was simple. WCU offers the same things as more expensive, more distant schools do at a lower cost.
      #3 After it gets started it feeds upon itself. Awareness and image of WCU are much greater than 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I'm not sure if anybody really "knows."

Here is my answer.

#1 - The obvious and most cited reason is demographics. WCU recruits from a region where school-age population is growing and the rest of the schools do not.
        #2 - A highly effective advertising program encompassing print, radio, and TV. They advertised A LOT. The message was simple. WCU offers the same things as more expensive, more distant schools do at a lower cost.
        #3 After it gets started it feeds upon itself. Awareness and image of WCU are much greater than 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
          ==Destination College Mania
          The surrounding area is very nice, but I doubt if that is a major driver. Without price reduction. I believe the D2 schools across the county are going to have a rough time attracting students in the current environment because so many kids are are looking at college being a life changing event.

My wife is an elementary school teacher here in PA and just today there was a graduation party for twins she had. One is headed to University of Florida and the other will be at Oklahoma University. This is very commonplace right now.

My son had 6 HS classmates go to Alabama. Other HS classmates went to Clemson, Florida St, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Ohio St, Ole Miss, Florida Atlantic, Kentucky. Coworkers of mine had kids that went to WVU, VIrginia Tech (2), Wake Forest.
          My niece, when she started the search process a couple years ago, put Michigan State and UCLA on her list. She went to high school in the Pittsburgh suburbs.

Alabama recruits students from all over the country (not just football players), and I've heard that some of their marketing pieces have Nick Saban on the cover. I'd imagine some other schools do similar things to recruit students.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

West Chester probably has the best reputation with high school families of all PASSHE schools. They're also highly rated - a top tier regional master's while IUP flounders in the also-ran territory of "national universities". That's not a slight on IUP - they get killed in the methodology for most rankings. West Chester also kills it in the transfer world - they're surrounded by community colleges. I'll also argue that they have the best location of any - its a small town feel that's surrounded by Philly suburbs. For a lot of suburban Philly kids, they can go to West Chester and it feels like home without going too far. Plus they're still close to their friends going to Drexel, Villanova, etc.

Comment

Back in 2010 I thought Ship could push their enrollment up to 9000-10000 by 2020 not lose over 2000 students. Looking at those numbers if they can't figure out how to boost enrollment back to 7000+ they may at some point be merged with Millersville.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                Back in 2010 I thought Ship could push their enrollment up to 9000-10000 by 2020 not lose over 2000 students. Looking at those numbers if they can't figure out how to boost enrollment back to 7000+ they may at some point be merged with Millersville.
                I think that's the same boat a lot of schools were in 10 years ago. They had just boosted enrollment and had plans for more growth in spite of the looming K-12 population cliff. I think the schools can avoid mergers but they'll need to get some flexibility with staffing. The system-wide contracts are killing them. Having worked at both public and private universities, PASSHE has excellent pay and the benefits are whatever is beyond excellent. It also makes it very difficult to control costs when 70% of your employees are guaranteed raises. Sure you can plan for those but the additional revenue just isn't there. Raises need to be tied to net revenue (enrollment-driven). Then the schools can also control for cost of living - the cost of living in Clarion or Mansfield is pennies on the dollar compared to West Chester and Cheyney.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                  Agreed. As an IUP-affiliated person I was always conscious of the advances from other schools and I heard Ship's footsteps the loudest. Their growth, not only in enrollment but great programs. Their graduate program offerings. Their success at selectivity.

So, I was surprised by what has happened at Ship. I think they have a similar problem as IUP - and that is geographical location.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think the schools can avoid mergers but they'll need to get some flexibility with staffing.
                    Frankly, I don't think it's in the schools' best interests to avoid mergers. I think merging, even up to a complete oneness, is unavoidable and the only way this system survives.

Get used to it now. Yes, identity will be a casualty. My high school doesn't exist anymore. Many of the buildings I spent my time in at IUP don't exist. You accept it and move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Frankly, I don't think it's in the schools' best interests to avoid mergers. I think merging, even up to a complete oneness, is unavoidable and the only way this system survives.

Get used to it now. Yes, identity will be a casualty. My high school doesn't exist anymore. Many of the buildings I spent my time in at IUP don't exist. You accept it and move on.
                      I think the problem with the system is too many overlapping programs and nobody taking the initiative to bring in a new department like Architecture/Design, Engineering & Project Management.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think its in their best interest to welcome shared administrative services. Finances are driving this - not a lack of identity. Systemwide enrollment has declined but not to far off from where the demographic decline has left their target population. If they can find a way to control costs and stabilize enrollment full on mergers will stop being talked about. Regional master's universities like PASSHE (IUP is more regional master's than national university) are all struggling from the same challenges related to population shifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I think the problem with the system is too many overlapping programs and nobody taking the initiative to bring in a new department like Architecture/Design, Engineering & Project Management.
                          The enrollment challenge has been that most of their enrollment comes from a 90 minute radius around each campus and in most cases those areas are experiencing population loss especially of high school students. Since that's the case, overlapping programs aren't an issue. The schools are hyper regional in reputation and very few programs are truly magnetic. The only schools (programs) I can think of are Edinboro (applied media art), Ship (engineering), Lock Haven (pre-PA) but even then these programs aren't unique to those specific schools. A good example is that when Clarion and Edinboro ended their degree programs in music, the programs at IUP and Slippery Rock didn't benefit. The schools are loaded with "good" programs but most of the true magnets are at the graduate level and typically online.

Comment

• I expect to see enrollment tick upward at ESU...When 9/11 happened we saw a large migration to the West from folks in the Apple who lost their appetite for it. Monroe County PA went from 143,000 in 2001 to 169,000 in 2011. I truly believe we'll see another migration as the pandemic cruises on...You should see the crowds at State Parks and on the Delaware River on weekends these days...Heck with Global Warming, the Delaware River might soon be on the Eastern Seaboard...
                            Last edited by WarriorVoice; 07-27-2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

My niece, when she started the search process a couple years ago, put Michigan State and UCLA on her list. She went to high school in the Pittsburgh suburbs.

Alabama recruits students from all over the country (not just football players), and I've heard that some of their marketing pieces have Nick Saban on the cover. I'd imagine some other schools do similar things to recruit students.
                              Bama definitely has a long term strategy to recruit kids via full or nearly full scholarships to students from the North and possibly other parts of the country. Seems like they are eyeing a Notre Dame-like National following in 20 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
                                Bama definitely has a long term strategy to recruit kids via full or nearly full scholarships to students from the North and possibly other parts of the country. Seems like they are eyeing a Notre Dame-like National following in 20 years.
                                It's a beautiful campus. The ladies are a little different down there, too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X