Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Is this guy just a puppet for the useless GQP hacks in Harrisburg?
    It seems that way. Several Dems have wrote letters against this. I've yet to see 1 Republican do it.

Comment

• I still don't see how it can go forward without an NCAA decision. Did anybody ask about that? It's real simple questions e.g. Are you in contact with them? What assurance do we have from the NCAA that each school can maintain its own sports? Is anybody trying to nail him down on that? When will they make a decision? Why can't they do that now? Are Greenstein and the BOG afraid of what the NCAA is going to say and deemphasizing the issue? Really, what's going on with that?

Comment

• https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...onsolidations/

No doubt Greenstein and others look like villains now. He kept getting called out for texting, eating, and not paying attention...and kept doing it. He sat there expressionless, except for when he appeared to look at his phone to briefly smile.

They likely did these comment sessions to satisfy ACT 50...and not to gain insight that they can act on.

This HAS to have already killed enrollment at these schools...and I don't think they get it or care. They legit think their plan is amazing.

Some people made observations that this was the rich vs the middle class and poor. Greenstein makes 380k. And he may have other income. Someone pointed out that Shapiras family is rich. The Presidents likely make over 200k. And most of them seemed to totally not care. No empathetic listening.
        Last edited by complaint_hopeful; 06-12-2021, 05:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          I still don't see how it can go forward without an NCAA decision. Did anybody ask about that? It's real simple questions e.g. Are you in contact with them? What assurance do we have from the NCAA that each school can maintain its own sports? Is anybody trying to nail him down on that? When will they make a decision? Why can't they do that now? Are Greenstein and the BOG afraid of what the NCAA is going to say and deemphasizing the issue? Really, what's going on with that?
          As far as the notion that they fear an ncaa decision...I think it's more they're indifferent. That's an opinion I have. Going into this, I heard Greenstein say that he thought sports would lose money and that some would need cut. Then, the numbers showed otherwise. So they pivoted to keeping them.

So if the ncaa is against this or requires a different Administrative structure...ie separate fin aid depts, etc...then they'll either adjust or get rid of certain sports. BUT, this likely gets voted through before that's known.

It sucks.

Act 50 is flawed. There needed to be more checks and balances other than the BOG being the sole deciders. Dan came in and smooth talked his way to basically having the power to do whatever he wants...no matter who opposes it.

Comment

• And this is likely just Round 1. The wheels are in motion to put systems in place to allow schools to share classes...which would likely be mostly online or hybrid. So whether more schools merge or not...aspects of this will hit other schools in the future.

Comment

I still don't see how it can go forward without an NCAA decision.
              Thanks for the background info. But I come back to the same premise above. This is going to be a disaster for the schools and the local communities where they reside if the sports don't work out. Meanwhile, Greenstein is going to be off doing some other job somewhere, leaving the rubble behind.

For the NE triad, I think success versus failure does boil down to the athletics outcome. As for the western triad, I don't see any possibilities for a positive outcome.

Comment

• No doubt. I feel like this will be a disaster for the reasons you mention too...but many more.

Hey high school juniors and seniors - Enroll in our school that goes live next summer!

What school? We don't know the name yet...and won't for several months.

Web site? We need a name for that. And as far as info..
                uh...

Programs? Classes? Which ones are online, hybrid, or in person? We'll get back to you on that! We're working on it still.

Sports? Waiting on ncaa. Total unknown.

Accreditation? Uhh...waiting on that.

Would you like to make a deposit now?

Comment

Thanks for the background info. But I come back to the same premise above. This is going to be a disaster for the schools and the local communities where they reside if the sports don't work out. Meanwhile, Greenstein is going to be off doing some other job somewhere, leaving the rubble behind.

For the NE triad, I think success versus failure does boil down to the athletics outcome. As for the western triad, I don't see any possibilities for a positive outcome.
                  There's a group of people that think the goal of this all is to fail and start shutting down campuses or get a bailout from the State. I thought that was outrageous at first, but like you said...this is in trouble.

I see no good outcome for the West too. 2 schools have near 0 reserves.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

There's a group of people that think the goal of this all is to fail and start shutting down campuses or get a bailout from the State. I thought that was outrageous at first, but like you said...this is in trouble.

I see no good outcome for the West too. 2 schools have near 0 reserves.
                    Well, the goal is clearly not what Greenstein and the BOG say it is. You have to be pretty gullible to fall for that (frankly few people are).

The fairly obvious outcome is to save money by reducing the footprint of the non-base schools (Edinboro, Clarion, Lock Haven, and Mansfield). This is the alternative to shutting them down, which can't be done.

The triads are not the same, though. I think that if the sports are maintained LH will survive. Mansfield should have been scrapped, anyway.

Just by the generic nature of the academics of the western schools it will be a problem. Not even Cal will be seen as a "base" school. They are all more or less satellites. Of course, if you take sports away from Clarion and Edinboro it will hasten their demise. I think these are the harsh realities of what is going on.

Comment

• Yep. Well they're admitting essentially that the goal of this isn't to save money or reduce tuition costs too.

Now, the sustainability plans lay a lot of employees off. The consolidations might be needed just to run after all that loss.

But, like I said...this is likely just the start. Aspects of this will hit other schools with more sharing.

Comment

• Bloom's Council of Trustees submitted a letter to PSSHE Board of Governor's opposing the plan due to the drain on the only financially viable partner in the triad. Some of the concerns and Bloom's requests are quoted below from the long letter. Bloom is concerned about sustainability/right sizing/deferred maintenance for Lock Haven and significant deferred maintenance/unsustainable debt for Mansfield.

LOCK HAVEN: "Sustainability targets (right-sizing by 2021-2022) not yet achieved.
                        1. Immediate need deferred maintenance: (approximately $30M): Need a Commonwealth commitment for satisfaction through one time or multi-year allocations.
                        2. Right-sizing student to faculty ration and balanced budget.

Cost of integration: (32M): Confirmation that all direct integration costs will be borne by the System, and not by Bloomsburg University.

MANSFIELD: System Requirements were established prior to integration but have not been met. Balanced budget by 2021-2022. Not achieved.
                        1. System loans (past and present) (currently up to approximately $13M) forgiven or satisfied with non-Bloomsburg resources.
                        2. Immediate need deferred maintenance: (approximately $32M). Need a Commonwealth commitment for satisfaction through one time or multi-year allocations.
                        3. Bond debt: If enrollment is not sufficient to cover the auxiliary debt service (approximately $6.8M/yr), non-Bloomsburg resources must be used to underwrite this on-going expenditure for .five year period.
                        4. The Commonwealth must agree to take over underutilized and excess real estate.
                        5. Cost of razing of unused/unnecessary buildings to be covered by the System."

Comment

• The Cal U trustees were considering a similar letter, but delayed the meeting.

I think there are discussions with the state on targeted debt relief. Ie the state pays off Res Hall debt. We shall see.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
                            The Cal U trustees were considering a similar letter, but delayed the meeting.

I think there are discussions with the state on targeted debt relief. Ie the state pays off Res Hall debt. We shall see.
                            Bart, can you give me some examples of "deferred maintenance" at Lock Haven?

Comment

Bart, can you give me some examples of "deferred maintenance" at Lock Haven?
                              Sorry that is all I have, but will ask the President next time I go drinking with him. (joke) No, I am just quoting the letter from the Council of Trustees. I trust they have information I don't. "The Implementation Plan Report does not include detailed analyses of deferred maintenance, physical plant issues, ongoing bond debt, or system loans, and is dependent upon certain enrollment projections........For the integration to be successful and the personnel/resources that Bloomsburg is pouring into it to be productive and not a drain" on Bloomsburg, they listed their concerns and a proposition with all details I quoted in the former post.

Comment

• As college budgets turned...say a roof on a building has a life of 25 years. Some would put that off. That's an example of deferred maint.

IT equipment lasts 5-7 years. Some couls put off replacing that.

Those are 2 examples I can think of that aren't specific to Bloom.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X