Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think they could do that. For example, as you have mentioned several times Cheyney farms out a lot of admin/purchasing, etc. to WCU. I have to think it could be done.

I don't think it has to be one school.
    That's a good example...AND depending on the NCAA ruling...they might have to maintain some separation for atleast certain depts.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

So how is Clarions Pres Edinboro's Pres now? And Blooms President is also Lock Haven's?
      Interim basis

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Oh I agree. The original sustainability plans with financial cushion provided by Recovery Act funds and state bailout of construction debt could be enough. The original sustainability plans already called for merging of services such as HR, business operations, IT, etc.
        Let me just tell you...moving purchasing to PASSHE...has not went that well so far. Just a bunch of issues.

Comment

Everyone offers this, but...

1) What happens to the thousands of students who commute from home to that campus every day? They could go online, but...

2) All six of these schools are in rural somewhat remote areas. Pennsylvania has such bad access to high speed internet (necessary for online education). What if that improves? Well...

3) 75-90% of the students at these schools are traditional age. Yes that demographic is declining but its still the bulk of the students attending. There is not one case study of an online university or online program successfully enrolling traditional aged students.

The plan fails to fix the financial problem and it fails to fix the enrollment problem.
          My point is that there are many steps between what the schools are now (4 year, in residence, liberal arts universities, offering the full spread of scholarship athletics) and closed. Going 100% on-line is just one option. Other options include but aren't limited to, becoming technical colleges, becoming 100% graduate centers, closing the residence halls and becoming true commuter colleges, becoming true sub-campuses with severely limited enrollment and course offerings, terminating all intercollegiate activities. All of these would "keep the campus open" in some form so technically would avoid requiring legislative approval.

The real problem is excess system capacity now AND in the foreseeable future. Unless the PASSHE can figure out a way to dramatically increase their share of the shrinking PA college age student pie, they aren't going to fix the problem. At best the proposals I've seen bandied about do little more than kick the system wide failure can down the road for a couple of years.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think they could do that. For example, as you have mentioned several times Cheyney farms out a lot of admin/purchasing, etc. to WCU. I have to think it could be done.

I don't think it has to be one school.
            Procurement has been centralized. The below article mentions Blloom was purchasing for 5 schools.

https://www.americancityandcounty.co...her-education/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Procurement has been centralized. The below article mentions Blloom was purchasing for 5 schools.

https://www.americancityandcounty.co...her-education/

There's an east and west procurement. Basically the purchasing agents work for passhe now and work from home. They also put in a new purchasing system.

There have been many growing pains and the new procurement doesn't do some functions that the campus purchasing did.

Comment

• I have the utmost confidence that no matter how these Integrations turn out...and especially if the state bails out construction debt, that in the future, there will be pr articles written about how successful these Integrations were. Much in the same vein as Chaney now being hailed as great management and strategy that other schools should copy...rather than receiving a loan that they didn't have to pay back and getting help from West Chester. And similar to how the new Procurement arrangement is being hailed as wildly successful. I won't say it failed, but it's definately harder to purchase things and there are pretty sizeable growing pains...and it costed a lot to implement. It's debateable what the actual savings are when you consider implementation costs.

Comment

I have the utmost confidence that no matter how these Integrations turn out...and especially if the state bails out construction debt, that in the future, there will be pr articles written about how successful these Integrations were. Much in the same vein as Chaney now being hailed as great management and strategy that other schools should copy...rather than receiving a loan that they didn't have to pay back and getting help from West Chester. And similar to how the new Procurement arrangement is being hailed as wildly successful. I won't say it failed, but it's definately harder to purchase things and there are pretty sizeable growing pains...and it costed a lot to implement. It's debateable what the actual savings are when you consider implementation costs.
                  If its heralded as such it will be promoted purely by the people whose legacies are tied to it: Greenstein, system board chair Shapira, and the integration presidents Hanna & Pehrrson.

Comment

If its heralded as such it will be promoted purely by the people whose legacies are tied to it: Greenstein, system board chair Shapira, and the integration presidents Hanna & Pehrrson.
                    Absolutely...and their PR teams. PASSHE is quite masterful at PR. From what I see, it's their best capability by far.

They can spin anything into some amazingly successful project...

Comment

Absolutely...and their PR teams. PASSHE is quite masterful at PR. From what I see, it's their best capability by far.

They can spin anything into some amazingly successful project...
                      They do a pretty good job at talking about what they actually do well...at appropriation time. Somehow forget how the other 11 months.

There are some short-sighted trustees who will also regurgitate the boiler plate talking points as well. I sat through some meetings with PASSHE school trustees patting themselves on the back while their schools sink into the abyss at various speeds.

Comment

That is yet to be seen. I think that if they get this plan through it will fail and no PR effort will have any credence. The numbers will tell the story..

Comment

• What would happen IF the NCAA comes back and says that these schools can't compete in the same divisions? That one can be D2? One D3? <-- What are your thoughts on that? I don't think it's too far fetched to think that this could happen.

Comment

What would happen IF the NCAA comes back and says that these schools can't compete in the same divisions? That one can be D2? One D3? <-- What are your thoughts on that? I don't think it's too far fetched to think that this could happen.
                            I doubt it. Southern Illinois already has two campuses in the same division as are almost all of the Penn State campuses.

Comment

I doubt it. Southern Illinois already has two campuses in the same division as are almost all of the Penn State campuses.
                              Good point. Why can't there be a statement from the NCAA or PASSHE as reassurance?

Comment

• Is Pitt set up identical? Like 1 budget for all campuses? 1 Fin Aid Dept? 1 Admissions? 1 Athletic Dept? <-- I think those are the things that will come into play here.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X