Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don't think that is true. It's not clear what kind of direct effect the western triad (and actually the NE triad) will have on IUP. Most prognoses for the triads are negative, so in that regard you'd have to think IUP (and SRU) will derive competitive benefits from it.

I agree with the writer as far as how PA could do a better job attracting out-of-state students but there are limits to that, even if you lure them with tuition inducements. I also agree that IUP has sort of a landlocked geography issue but the triads don't change that. If anything, the arrival of these triads on both sides of IUP allows IUP to promote itself as an outstanding midsized residential setting. Get back to that because that is what it has always been.

I think the big thing for IUP going into the future is a focus on specific programs and quality. Where I see it going is that it might even get smaller but it will offer quality, in-demand programs and that is not a bad recipe for survival in the current environment.
    I tend to agree with you that many potential Cal U students will Choose IUP and the Potential Clarion or Edinboro students are likely to choose SRU. I know the writer, who would regularly argue that IUP faculty were underpayed, based on a comparison to other R1 Universities. The suggestion that it is an economic disadvantage to cater to community colleges, giving up the revenue for the introductory courses is also questionable, and assumes that the cc students would chose IUP rather than the CC + another school that makes the transition to the four year school easier. WCU uses this model to significant benefit.

Its hard to say where IUP will end up. Focusing on good programs that will draw students, like Nursing and saftey science used to - and still do to some extent is probably the most important thing. The new science building will help. It would help if locally the ROI is determined on a bit broader way than has been done,

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I tend to agree with you that many potential Cal U students will Choose IUP and the Potential Clarion or Edinboro students are likely to choose SRU. I know the writer, who would regularly argue that IUP faculty were underpayed, based on a comparison to other R1 Universities. The suggestion that it is an economic disadvantage to cater to community colleges, giving up the revenue for the introductory courses is also questionable, and assumes that the cc students would chose IUP rather than the CC + another school that makes the transition to the four year school easier. WCU uses this model to significant benefit.

Its hard to say where IUP will end up. Focusing on good programs that will draw students, like Nursing and saftey science used to - and still do to some extent is probably the most important thing. The new science building will help. It would help if locally the ROI is determined on a bit broader way than has been done,
      The Triad will be the best thing to happen to IUP in a very long time.

Comment

I keep hearing about this new science building. What will make it superior to the new science buildings at IUP's competitors? Cal and Edinboro both have new science buildings. I imagine a couple privates do too. RMU was starting just prior to the pandemic.

Comment

Although the focus can't be just on the academics and the atmosphere, etc. I agree with the other comments about marketing. IUP needs to market itself better and more effectively.

Ironman, you seem to be there now. so you have insight. I was involved with IUP Marketing a long time ago so it's possible that I miss something. However, I see Driscoll as someone focused on the internal offerings almost exclusively and external marketing/PR not so much. IUP has hired Marketing staff in recent years so somebody understands the need.

I think it helps if the promotion vis-a-vis other schools comes from the top and I don't perceive that's a part of Driscoll's repertoire.

While I never approved of Armenti he was the ace marketer. I think Dr. Pratt was a marketer. Numerous subsequent IUP Presidents represented IUP externally in a superior way. I don't see Driscoll as that type of leader and I think that hurts.
          Last edited by iupgroundhog; 06-17-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Although the focus can't be just on the academics and the atmosphere, etc. I agree with the other comments about marketing. IUP needs to market itself better and more effectively.

Ironman, you seem to be there now. so you have insight. I was involved with IUP Marketing a long time ago so it's possible that I miss something. However, I see Driscoll as someone focused on the internal offerings almost exclusively and external marketing/PR not so much. IUP has hired Marketing staff in recent years so somebody understands the need.

I think it helps if the promotion vis-a-vis other schools comes from the top and I don't perceive that's a part of Driscoll's reportoire.

While I never approved of Armenti he was the ace marketer. I think Dr. Pratt was a marketer. Numerous subsequent IUP Presidents represented IUP externally in a superior way. I don't see Driscoll as that type of leader and I think that hurts.
            Driscoll is a good guy but he's a pure academic ... not much of a businessman. Hopefully he is surrounding himself with some.

IUP has to see this as blood in the water. Time to strike.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The Triad will be the best thing to happen to IUP in a very long time.
              I think it could be. It's hard to say. These students may go to other non-PASSHE schools.

Isn't IUP laying off like 380+ employees and eliminating programs too? A lot of PASSHE schools are going to have a lot of bad press.

Comment

I think it helps if the promotion vis-a-vis other schools comes from the top and I don't perceive that's a part of Driscoll's repertoire.

See to me...I think maybe the most important job of a President is to be that public face of a University out there representing the University and building alliances. That and setting overall strategy, then you have Vice Presidents that can go execute it.

Comment

Driscoll is a good guy but he's a pure academic ... not much of a businessman. Hopefully he is surrounding himself with some.

IUP has to see this as blood in the water. Time to strike.
                  I've heard that PASSHE schools are marketing against the Triads. We'll see what comes out of it.

I predict the Triads lose a decent bit of enrollment for Fall. To where though, I don't know. If it stays in PASSHE, that helps the system.

Comment

Under Driscoll, IUP has done much better with donations, so he has been pretty good, relatively, in that important area, and we have had more $1 million type donations than ever before. He works well with the local community, too.

but yes, as far as marketing, he either doesn't care or more likely, just doesn't recognize the lackluster quality of the work. People will blame the budget cuts that reduced marketing spending, but they reduced in the wrong areas, in my view. one way or another the results have not been good. there have been problems with campus safety that have added to the bad publicity, and some high profile administrative hires that went bad, as well as some law suits - for example the kid on Tucker Carlson a few years back didn't help much.

Another big mistake was the per credit tuition. It hasn't worked out the way he expected - Harrisburg didn't help here, as the initial roll out, which included incentives and marketing didn't happen because of PASSHE indecision. but the price went up - which other PASSHE schools pointed out to their advantage. Then on top of the higher tuition, someone thought that raising room prices was a good response to fewer students in the dorms. that one was crazy ? ? There 2 things together made IUP significantly higher costs than the competing PASSHE schools, and in the ball park with the branch campuses.

Comment

Under Driscoll, IUP has done much better with donations, so he has been pretty good, relatively, in that important area, and we have had more $1 million type donations than ever before. He works well with the local community, too.

but yes, as far as marketing, he either doesn't care or more likely, just doesn't recognize the lackluster quality of the work. People will blame the budget cuts that reduced marketing spending, but they reduced in the wrong areas, in my view. one way or another the results have not been good. there have been problems with campus safety that have added to the bad publicity, and some high profile administrative hires that went bad, as well as some law suits - for example the kid on Tucker Carlson a few years back didn't help much.

Another big mistake was the per credit tuition. It hasn't worked out the way he expected - Harrisburg didn't help here, as the initial roll out, which included incentives and marketing didn't happen because of PASSHE indecision. but the price went up - which other PASSHE schools pointed out to their advantage. Then on top of the higher tuition, someone thought that raising room prices was a good response to fewer students in the dorms. that one was crazy ? ? There 2 things together made IUP significantly higher costs than the competing PASSHE schools, and in the ball park with the branch campuses.
                      Said forever if they can get kids here for a visit, they should land a ton of them. The campus is immaculate -- especially compared to most of the PASSHE. Big school feel in a small town -- but a fun small town.

Indiana, downtown, feels like Manhattan compared to most of its competition.

Comment

Said forever if they can get kids here for a visit, they should land a ton of them. The campus is immaculate -- especially compared to most of the PASSHE. Big school feel in a small town -- but a fun small town.

Indiana, downtown, feels like Manhattan compared to most of its competition.
                        I don't think any of the PASSHE campuses outside of a few look less than immaculate right now. Biggest problem is price and passive recruitment. PASSHE schools tend to be good at processing applications but piss poor at converting acceptances to deposits. But a lot of admissions visits also happen when students aren't around. Gotta change that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't think any of the PASSHE campuses outside of a few look less than immaculate right now. Biggest problem is price and passive recruitment. PASSHE schools tend to be good at processing applications but piss poor at converting acceptances to deposits. But a lot of admissions visits also happen when students aren't around. Gotta change that.
                          Sounds as bright as the PSAC routinely scheduling its biggest basketball games over the eternity known as Winter Break.

How IUP is losing kids to Cal, Clarion, etc., is literally baffling. I know they all look nice. But, they aren't apples to apples. Call me a Homer. Fine. But, they aren't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                            "PASSHE plan diminishes IUP's prospects"
                            https://www.indianagazette.com/opini...ea2330ad7.html
                            So the townies now are sounding the alarms?

Comment

Comment

Sounds as bright as the PSAC routinely scheduling its biggest basketball games over the eternity known as Winter Break.

How IUP is losing kids to Cal, Clarion, etc., is literally baffling. I know they all look nice. But, they aren't apples to apples. Call me a Homer. Fine. But, they aren't.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X