Kutztown: 7,675, down 2.75%

Lock Haven: 2,920, down 7.68%

Mansfield: 1,803, up 0.61%

Millersville: 7,213, down 3.76%

Shippensburg: 5,668, down 7.54%

Slippery Rock: 8,424, down 5.09%

West Chester: 17,640, down 0.45%

Source: https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/1...o-decades.html
    Would be interesting to see how IUP was affected in the area of foreign students, both undergrad and grad. For example, the MBA program relies so heavily on foreign students. If they were affected significantly, that number can come back quickly.

Comment

• Comment

• consolidation of six universities into two institutions

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

I believe those numbers are FTE students.
          headcount for each of the system universities with the percentage change from last year:'

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Chaney and Mansfield have figured out enrollment! Time for all the schools to copy them! I kid. I kid.

This is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

The funny thing is the pandemic was blamed for losses 2 years ago. Kids don't want online! Then, they rush back to campus...and bigger losses!

And these numbers are headcount. It doesn't take into account for students who are taking less credits...which can be the case. So like a 5% loss in headcount can be a 7% loss in FTE.
            Had some solid conversations with Edinboro folks over the weekend. Systemwide retention is way down. A lot of students left during the pandemic and didn't return.

My guess is that these triads become something bigger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Had some solid conversations with Edinboro folks over the weekend. Systemwide retention is way down. A lot of students left during the pandemic and didn't return.

My guess is that these triads become something bigger.
              They almost have to. My guess is they start sharing online classes across more schools than just the Triads at minimum.

But, I could see a Phase 2 of these Integrations with a new set of schools.

It's interesting that IUP dipped under 10,000 students...because wasn't that the magic number in the law where you couldn't be merged with? Not saying PASSHE would do that with IUP, but who knows? I think we're getting to the point where anything is on the table.

Comment

headcount for each of the system universities with the percentage change from last year:'
                Looking at the stats for Clarion, you are right.

https://clarion.edu/about-clarion/of...021_Freeze.pdf

If you look below at a post I made, I counted the FTE students, giving Clarion just above 3000.

Comment

They almost have to. My guess is they start sharing online classes across more schools than just the Triads at minimum.

It's interesting that IUP dipped under 10,000 students...because wasn't that the magic number in the law where you couldn't be merged with? Not saying PASSHE would do that with IUP, but who knows? I think we're getting to the point where anything is on the table.
                  I think, worst case scenario, PASSHE merges everyone into one of two directionals with IUP and WC as hub campuses. Maybe they can force a merger between Cheyney & Lincoln.

A lot more mergers are coming. Might as well get ahead of it and give us time to get it right. Its pretty rare that PASSHE is ahead of the curve.

Comment

• Yes. For most schools the FTE is MUCH lower like your illustration of Clarion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think, worst case scenario, PASSHE merges everyone into one of two directionals with IUP and WC as hub campuses. Maybe they can force a merger between Cheyney & Lincoln.

A lot more mergers are coming. Might as well get ahead of it and give us time to get it right. Its pretty rare that PASSHE is ahead of the curve.
                      I think a variant of that could happen, or maybe it's the same thing as your describing. I think what you see at the Triads applied to like a directional. And maybe parts of that are applied systemwide, and back-end sharing of services is directional. There are 2 purchasing groups...1 for the East and 1 for the West. HR and some other services are supposed to go next.

Like you might have a professor at campus 1 in a classroom, and you might be in a classroom or home at campus 2 taking that class via video. Some variant. There will be less professors to deliver classes. More sharing of resources.

The question is, will that be enough to keep this thing afloat? I really don't know. I don't see the Triads saving much money. Expand that to a directional and it still might not save enough.

Comment

• PASSHE needs atleast the WC's and IUP's gaining enrollment to make up for the other campuses. When they ALL DECLINE, this thing starts crashing down in a big way.

What is kind of hidden in the numbers is most of the losses are in undergrad. So you lose a paying student for 4 years. Grad school is up, but you only get them for like 18 months.

Comment

I think the way it was written was 10k or more as of a certain date in 2020. That means IUP.. It doesn't change. Until it does.

Comment

• Comment

• Undergraduate enrollment at Pennsylvania State University is up 2% at its main campus in University Park, but residential undergraduate enrollment at its other campuses is down 7.5%, said spokesperson Lisa Powers
                              Once again, the Penn State Outlet Stores are in more serious decline but the headlines are about PASSHE.

Comment

PASSHE needs atleast the WC's and IUP's gaining enrollment to make up for the other campuses. When they ALL DECLINE, this thing starts crashing down in a big way.

What is kind of hidden in the numbers is most of the losses are in undergrad. So you lose a paying student for 4 years. Grad school is up, but you only get them for like 18 months.
                                1 million dollars for every 100 students roughly. The other question is the breakdown of lower incoming Freshman, or lower retention. At IUP retention fall to spring was up, but I hadn't seen the retention Fall to Fall. From what I hear about students that have been through a Zoom heavy senior year, the retention won't be very good for this years incoming Freshman either. .

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X