Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Good observation. And Dogfish hasn't been the same since. They basically have become a clone of Sam Adams (who's beer I've never really cared for) with different packaging. I used to love Dogfish but even before I heard about the buyout (mid 2020) I could taste a "differance" in their individual brews and in their range of beers...went from basically a 60 and 120 Min IPA with seasonal/occasional brews to many offerings similar to the "throw jello at the wall" brewing plan that Sam Adams utalizes. Dogfish has gone from off-centered to corporate-centered.
    I've actually never been much of a Dogfish Head fan. Sam Adams has a handful of ones that are okay. Sometimes a good recipe doesn't lend itself to increased production - this is what happened when Yuengling went national. Unless its fresh & nearby one of their breweries, I think it lacks the taste that made it somewhat distinctive and a cult favorite. I've converted to the hazy NE IPAs made by a lot of the local breweries in greater Pittsburgh. 1 (2 on the weekends) 7% 16oz can of those and I'm good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The "integrated university" will have a new name and the individual campuses retain their name, mascots, etc. Think of it like Heinz merging with Kraft. Heinz Ketchup is still Heinz Ketchup but the company is now called KraftHeinz. Or in my preferred industry, Dogfish Head merging with Sam Adams.

I'm not sure what to expect with enrollment. I'm interested in how Mansfield & Cheyney saw increases - were they new students or did retention improve? Regardless, their combined gains are just 25 students. ESU's big drop is alarming - they seemed to be doing well for a while. Clarion's as well - their VP of Enrollment is in charge of enrollment strategy for the Western Integration. Its my understanding that the only schools seeming to be holding on financially are Slippery Rock, West Chester, and Millersville. Everyone else is either out of reserves or eating through them with enrollment losses outpacing the budgeted losses. The uncertainty and forthcoming unfamiliarity with the integrations won't help. Its like RMU's hockey coach trying to out-recruit the shadow of the program being cut but for an entire university. Could there be modest gains? Sure. But I'd bet right now on more losses across the board.
      I could actually see bigger losses coming, especially for the Triads initially. There's going to be a certain amount of confusion initially. Then after several years, they may gain.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

I could actually see bigger losses coming, especially for the Triads initially. There's going to be a certain amount of confusion initially. Then after several years, they may gain.
        I wonder if that is what some of the "integration funds" are for. I'd love to hear a magic number - what is the total enrollment target (all other expenses within reason) to start making this thing operate in the black.

Comment

• That's tricky. But supposedly, the one in the West wasn't breaking even over the timeline which I think was 5 years. And I don't know that they factor in the cost of the Integration to that. Like it might just be operational deficit.

They think they can grow the online enrollment by a large number.

Interestingly in the BOG, they talk about how the mission is to serve PA students. When you start talking growing online, you surely need to target the entire US and beyond I'd think?

Comment

That's tricky. But supposedly, the one in the West wasn't breaking even over the timeline which I think was 5 years. And I don't know that they factor in the cost of the Integration to that. Like it might just be operational deficit.

They think they can grow the online enrollment by a large number.

Interestingly in the BOG, they talk about how the mission is to serve PA students. When you start talking growing online, you surely need to target the entire US and beyond I'd think?
            I think they can focus on PA students and cut into the for-profits and the out of state flagships with huge online divisions like Arizona State and Purdue. But that will take a major overhaul in how easy it is to enroll and a lot of money to market it. There's no reason someone from PA should be paying $35k a year to learn how to be a nurse online. PASSHE tuition is $7,716 a year plus fees.

The online market is nearly entirely working adults - former stop outs, second career starters, military, and working adults looking to get a credential to move up. There's enough of that in PA to do alright. If they price it right, they can probably pull in some out of state students, too. But this is such a transition. Like turning a '56 Buick into a drag racer where your competition is built for it.

Comment

I've actually never been much of a Dogfish Head fan. Sam Adams has a handful of ones that are okay. Sometimes a good recipe doesn't lend itself to increased production - this is what happened when Yuengling went national. Unless its fresh & nearby one of their breweries, I think it lacks the taste that made it somewhat distinctive and a cult favorite. I've converted to the hazy NE IPAs made by a lot of the local breweries in greater Pittsburgh. 1 (2 on the weekends) 7% 16oz can of those and I'm good.
              Yea...I've always been a NE IPA fan vice Cali IPA. Cali IPA's are "hop bombs" that sacrifice the malt backbone in favor of almost naked IBU's. I love hops but high numbers need a strong malt profile to balance things out.

Comment

Yea...I've always been a NE IPA fan vice Cali IPA. Cali IPA's are "hop bombs" that sacrifice the malt backbone in favor of almost naked IBU's. I love hops but high numbers need a strong malt profile to balance things out.
                We agree on something! HUZZAH!

Comment

They say the high-end beer crowd is becoming worse than the wine types. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They say the high-end beer crowd is becoming worse than the wine types. Lol.
                    I can "speak beer!" I enjoy drinking good beer it and brewing it too. But nothing better on a hot day than cracking open a number of 10 oz cans of Bud (10 ouncer because you can drink the whole thing before it gets luke warm like a 12 oz can). Also nothing better on a Friday/Sat night than drinking way too many Bud lights! Kind of like a great steak and hamburger...I LOVE a great cut of beef cooked to perfection, but there is just somthing about a good honest hamburger that I just can't pass up!

Comment

• And the official name of the Western Triad is: Pennsylvania Western University. I'm sure that was a tough task for consultants to come up with that name.

Comment

And the official name of the Western Triad is: Pennsylvania Western University. I'm sure that was a tough task for consultants to come up with that name.
                        Yeah, it was hard to screw up. Puts a lot of pressure on the NE folks, though.

Comment

• I can't seem to find any documentation but I was assured that Pitt holds the copyright on "Western Pennsylvania" use for higher ed. The name was the best of the 5 finalists I saw and by a mile. It also allows them to in the future possibly pull in Slippery Rock and IUP without changing the name. I think if they're smart they'll go Pennsylvania Central (sounds like a train) because that similarly would allow them to pull in Shippensburg.

Comment

And the official name of the Western Triad is: Pennsylvania Western University. I'm sure that was a tough task for consultants to come up with that name.
                            LOL

Hope we spent about a half mil paying people to come up with that one.

So, will they each be called Pennsylvania Western University-Edinboro (etc.) ?

WE ARE ... P W U E

Quite a ring to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

LOL

Hope we spent about a half mil paying people to come up with that one.

So, will they each be called Pennsylvania Western University-Edinboro (etc.) ?

WE ARE ... P W U E

Quite a ring to it.
                              Penn West is what the branding says. Sounds like a hospital or a prison but I guess I'll get used to it.

Comment

I can't seem to find any documentation but I was assured that Pitt holds the copyright on "Western Pennsylvania" use for higher ed. The name was the best of the 5 finalists I saw and by a mile. It also allows them to in the future possibly pull in Slippery Rock and IUP without changing the name. I think if they're smart they'll go Pennsylvania Central (sounds like a train) because that similarly would allow them to pull in Shippensburg.
                                Yeah Pitt used to be Western University of Pennsylvania. University of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X