Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music is quite possibly the most expensive major of any. The faculty union contract isn't friendly to how these programs are traditionally structured. Clarion and Edinboro cut their programs within the last decade, Edinboro did after the state spent about $10M on a new building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Music is quite possibly the most expensive major of any. The faculty union contract isn't friendly to how these programs are traditionally structured. Clarion and Edinboro cut their programs within the last decade, Edinboro did after the state spent about $10M on a new building.
      I think the question here is what is its value, not what is its cost. And a lot of the value of Music and the Arts goes beyond the academic costs. Its value extends well beyond the classroom.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think the question here is what is its value, not what is its cost. And a lot of the value of Music and the Arts goes beyond the academic costs. Its value extends well beyond the classroom.
        I think the value most would name can be achieved without a degree program. However, PASSHE doesn't seem to understand that you can have departments and faculty without degree programs.

Comment

I think the value most would name can be achieved without a degree program. However, PASSHE doesn't seem to understand that you can have departments and faculty without degree programs.
          Well, this is a Music Education program so it prepares Music teachers. You can't get that without a degree program. This came on my radar because a friend of mine from HS helped start the program and he posted about it on FB.

But it's not just this program it's just an example of many such situations that will arise as they strip the schools (including yours) down to something unrecognizable.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Yes. And there will be some schools in PASSHE that do bad, but when the historically strong schools start to lose lots of enrollment too...that could spell PASSHE's demise.
            I think PASSHE will stay around in some form, but I'm not sure all the campuses will. Given the falling high school enrollments in Pa., especially in the western part of the state, there probably are too many colleges. The state didn't help things by basically allowing the PSU "branch" campuses to establish themselves as separate four-year entities in competition with the state-owned PASSHE schools.

Comment

• Thanks for the pianos. We will send over some books on Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Thanks for the pianos. We will send over some books on Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates.
                LOL, the wrestling team can pick them up after the dual meet Saturday. It will save money on shipping.

Comment

• Athletic training being eliminated too.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...anos-amid-cuts

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Athletic training being eliminated too.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...anos-amid-cuts
                    I don't think athletic training is being cut. Maybe that area is being changed or streamlined somehow but I don't think it's a casualty.

Comment

• Comment

• Correct. Same for California in the West. This is because those schools hold the accreditation for the new triads. However, each "other" campus will continue to have a quasi-council of trustees to function in a similar way but without the autonomy of a typical COT.

Comment

• Wolf proposes a 15% funding increase for PASSHE plus an extra $200 million for tuition assistance for students to study "high need" areas at PASSHE or state community colleges.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202202080083

Comment

Correct. Same for California in the West. This is because those schools hold the accreditation for the new triads. However, each "other" campus will continue to have a quasi-council of trustees to function in a similar way but without the autonomy of a typical COT.
                            So the facade of independence without actually being independent?

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

So the facade of independence without actually being independent?
                              Facade might be a bit harsh. There will be some local advisement. The PASSHE charter says each school's COT must be 12 members - so 4 from each school. That's not exactly good governance to have such little representation.

Comment

Facade might be a bit harsh. There will be some local advisement. The PASSHE charter says each school's COT must be 12 members - so 4 from each school. That's not exactly good governance to have such little representation.
                                Point taken...could have used vail or perhaps aura.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X