Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Ohio Valley University, an NAIA school in Vienna, WV will close at the end of the month: https://christianchronicle.org/break...ides-to-close/
    I seem to recall that they either dropped their NCAA membership or dropped athletics altogether as a result of the pandemic...
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I seem to recall that they either dropped their NCAA membership or dropped athletics altogether as a result of the pandemic...
      They dropped from DII to NAIA. They played in the WVIAC from 1999 until its demise. Unsure if they migrated to MEC or joined another DII conference after.

Comment

• Well this certainly isn't a good look...

https://www.erienewsnow.com/clip/152...-big-pay-hikes

My faith in those running my beloved alma mater is pretty weak right now.

Comment

Well this certainly isn't a good look...

https://www.erienewsnow.com/clip/152...-big-pay-hikes

My faith in those running my beloved alma mater is pretty weak right now.
          There's no way that can be spun to make any sense. In a broader sense it is definitely not a good look.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

There's no way that can be spun to make any sense. In a broader sense it is definitely not a good look.
            Its my understanding that these pay bumps are reflective of new roles in the 3-campus PWU. But that doesn't start until July 2022, so why now?

Comment

They dropped from DII to NAIA. They played in the WVIAC from 1999 until its demise. Unsure if they migrated to MEC or joined another DII conference after.
              They were part of the WVIAC non-football voting block. Their commitment to athletics, even in the best of times, was lacking. When the WVIAC fell apart they were not invited to join the MEC and eventually joined the GMAC with a number of other former WVIAC teams.

They have had financial/enrolement problems for a number of years. They hired a new president who placed much of the blame for their financial problems at the feet of the athletic department and cut accordingly, ultimately taking them to the NAIA. Clearly...he was wrong!!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

They were part of the WVIAC non-football voting block. Their commitment to athletics, even in the best of times, was lacking. When the WVIAC fell apart they were not invited to join the MEC and eventually joined the GMAC with a number of other former WVIAC teams.

They have had financial/enrolement problems for a number of years. They hired a new president who placed much of the blame for their financial problems at the feet of the athletic department and cut accordingly, ultimately taking them to the NAIA. Clearly...he was wrong!!
                They also fit the mold of schools who are outright closing:

Private
                Enrollment under 1,000 students
                Mediocre retention rates
                Small endowment
                Little or no reserves
                Low fundraising capacity
                High discount rate of sticker price
                High debt level

It looks like they tried bringing in a lot of international kids (who usually have their government pay full sticker price) but when enrollment is down under 200 you're just playing a shell game with money. Parkersburg isn't an area that's going to attract many, either.

One fewer school using the Fighting Scots nickname, too!

Comment

They also fit the mold of schools who are outright closing:

Private
                  Enrollment under 1,000 students
                  Mediocre retention rates
                  Small endowment
                  Little or no reserves
                  Low fundraising capacity
                  High discount rate of sticker price
                  High debt level

It looks like they tried bringing in a lot of international kids (who usually have their government pay full sticker price) but when enrollment is down under 200 you're just playing a shell game with money. Parkersburg isn't an area that's going to attract many, either.

One fewer school using the Fighting Scots nickname, too!
                  All true. But they spead their demise by zeroing out their athletic programs...took a very difficult recovery and doomed it.

Comment

I believe they migrated to the GMAC before dropping to NAIA.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I think a college town should identify as such, and some don't. Some of the towns on this list probably don't identify as a college town or even feel like one. Does Media qualify as a college town? I'd also argue Middletown's eligibility. Edinboro for years has tried to market itself as a "resort town" almost like Conneaut Lake when people know it as a college town. Funny that State College or Lewisburg didn't make the list. Those are great college towns but I guess if it made sense we wouldn't be talking about a website called HomeSnacks.
                      Kutztown was also a glaring omission on that list, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone call Schuylkill Haven a 'college town'.

Comment

• I guess you have to be open-minded enough to consider that these 3 salary increases could be anecdotal; however, this appears to be in opposition to the entire merger model designed to achieve cost savings. I would say if it looks like exploitation, it probably is exploitation.

I can't believe the policy changes required to integrate their specific areas across all 3 institutions are that great. They should be just implementing a framework like they did before except it is for 3 campuses. I doubt their jobs are going to be much different. It seems like the raises are based on elevating the administrators to VP status.

Plus, the student population they are serving has diminished to a point likely in the neighborhood for the 3 campuses that is comparable to doing the same job at one of the schools 10 years ago.

I don't think the merger is supposed to result in administrative pay raises like this. Doesn't seem justified.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I guess you have to be open-minded enough to consider that these 3 salary increases could be anecdotal; however, this appears to be in opposition to the entire merger model designed to achieve cost savings. I would say if it looks like exploitation, it probably is exploitation.

I can't believe the policy changes required to integrate their specific areas across all 3 institutions are that great. They should be just implementing a framework like they did before except it is for 3 campuses. I doubt their jobs are going to be much different. It seems like the raises are based on elevating the administrators to VP status.

Plus, the student population they are serving has diminished to a point likely in the neighborhood for the 3 campuses that is comparable to doing the same job at one of the schools 10 years ago.

I don't think the merger is supposed to result in administrative pay raises like this. Doesn't seem justified.
                          That's the fallacy of administrative savings in mergers. If $100k is the market rate for a certain position at a 5,000 student school and it merges to create a 15,000 student school, while you might be able to eliminate two $100k positions, that third person can now argue they should be paid the market rate for a 15,000 student school.

There are also a lot of positions that can't be done across 3 campuses very well, such as alumni relations. So you end up with a model with 3 alumni directors and no cost savings.

Comment

That's the fallacy of administrative savings in mergers. If $100k is the market rate for a certain position at a 5,000 student school and it merges to create a 15,000 student school, while you might be able to eliminate two $100k positions, that third person can now argue they should be paid the market rate for a 15,000 student school.

There are also a lot of positions that can't be done across 3 campuses very well, such as alumni relations. So you end up with a model with 3 alumni directors and no cost savings.
                            Yes - And the Chancellor even says the Integrations weren't for cost savings. They're to expand student access to programs, etc.

Overall, Integrating is very expensive. It's hard to really see areas of savings.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Yes - And the Chancellor even says the Integrations weren't for cost savings. They're to expand student access to programs, etc.
                              You can't possibly believe that. The entire concept is based on financial restructuring from Day 1. The Chancellor is a good BS'er.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X