Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think something that will help is that each campus in the west will retain a full time alumni relations position specific to that campus.

I hate saying it, but I imagine that within my lifetime the idea of college as a campus-based experience will be gone.
    Yeah. It's dieing now. Part of it is this new generation and their reliance on technology. But, you get less students living on campus, and the ones that do don't seem to value the traditional in-person interactions, ie parties, clubs, sporting events of past generations. They like to stay in their rooms and binge watch Netflix or play video games and not leave their rooms. They don't seem to care about amenities on a campus. They'd rather interact online as opposed to in person.

Clearly, taking online classes didn't bother them as enrollment tanked with the whole return to campus thing. (While many college Administrators maintained there would be financial issues from not returning to campus.)

There are rumors that Microsoft is going to get into the online learning space. If they offered a Learning Management system that was good, or someone like Facebook did...it might change the model. Well, Facebook might be dated, because I don't think the new generation values it much and thinks it's for 'older people'. But, say some 'it' platform for kids comes along, that could push traditional education off a cliff.

Comment

• Interestingly, before Greenstein got there, they had a consultant examine the system and they wrote a big report. One of the things they recommended was merging with a Penn State or one of the big state-related U's. I think Pitt, Villanova, and Temple were others.

This name...West Penn...is kind of generic enough, that it would fit with Penn State. It's probably totally coincidence.

Comment

At least now students can say they attend THE Pennsylvania Western University.
        At least it's better than Western Pennsylvania University or, God forbid, Pennsylvania University.... PU....and like all rebranding will take getting used to. Honest question will the three branches of PWU keep their traditional colors and mascots ? I'm assuming yes and am actually interested in seeing what a red, black and white PWU-CAL banner will look like.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

At least it's better than Western Pennsylvania University or, God forbid, Pennsylvania University.... PU....and like all rebranding will take getting used to. Honest question will the three branches of PWU keep their traditional colors and mascots ? I'm assuming yes and am actually interested in seeing what a red, black and white PWU-CAL banner will look like.
          Yes. Although the new U will have a logo too. There are 3 variations that will be voted on.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Yes. Although the new U will have a logo too. There are 3 variations that will be voted on.
            Who gets to vote ?

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

They're semi-public and a bit underwhelming. I'm okay with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Who gets to vote ?
                I believe Students.

Comment

They're semi-public and a bit underwhelming. I'm okay with that.
                  Hopefully they don't get used much.

Comment

100%. People also lack perspective. Edinboro for example hasn't always been called Edinboro. There were several years it was called the Northwest State Normal School. Schools change their names. Most recently I can think of is Tri-State becoming Trine. Beaver College became Arcadia before that. Mergers by any name are coming. The birth rate is plummeting. Adult students are attending online at schools designed for that with easier enrollment processes. We can't stay the course. Its a turd sandwich and sometimes we have to tell ourselves that its just a bad sloppy joe.

The comments are disheartening, too. Withholding donations (usually said by people who don't donate) only makes the problem worse. A lot of people who seem to have ignored the previous messages about athletics, nicknames, campus names, etc. and some who seem to have missed the entire integration messaging. Sheesh.
                    Beaver College was always a bit of a local punchline.
                    Last edited by IUPNation; 10-14-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

At least now students can say they attend THE Pennsylvania Western University.

Comment

• I apologize for not keeping up but will PennWest have 3 different athletic departments?

Comment

• Somebody likely felf it sounded more fancy that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

I apologize for not keeping up but will PennWest have 3 different athletic departments?
                            That is the plan. Following through with it is another story.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Somebody likely felf it sounded more fancy that way.
                              Case Western University.

They just need to leave IUP alone.

Comment

• So, the game between The Pennsylvania Western University-Clarion and The Pennsylvania Western University-California is off.

That just really rolls off the tongue.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X