Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP is a ghost town. It doesn't even remotely resemble the IUP many of us experienced 10, 20 or 30+ years ago.

Word around town, too, is a somewhat large percent of IUP's enrollment is online. I know the rumored plan is they aren't even planning to open a couple of the new dorms next Fall.

If you avoid the 7th Street area from Sheetz down to the KCAC ... you wouldn't even know there was still a college here on weekends. Philly Street is dead at night.
    I hope it can come back. There are some enrollment positives in that article once you get past the overall numbers.

IUP BigIndians, what you are describing must be devastating for the local economy.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

This article in the IG a few days ago says IUP's Spring enrollment is 7,399. This shocks me, to say the least. Yes, it should be interesting to see what it is at all of the schools. 7400 is less than half of what it was in 2010. Wow!

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...2d7239dce.html
      Spring is usually lower than fall but that number is still shocking.

Comment

This article in the IG a few days ago says IUP's Spring enrollment is 7,399. This shocks me, to say the least. Yes, it should be interesting to see what it is at all of the schools. 7400 is less than half of what it was in 2010. Wow!

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...2d7239dce.html
        The spring is always alot less than fall, but the Gazette article is using some very positive spin by comparing to registrations at this time.

The thing is, typically there are alot more students enrolled between now and the start of the semester - usually 10% or so. Last spring enrollment ended up with 9162 total students. The question is will that happen this year. Rumors are that there are significant percentages of failing and not participating students, so the increase between now and january will not be very good. that rumor is the problem is system wide but perhaps is just complaining about students lack of interest, . We'll see what happens, the hope is that IUP will get over 8000, but no one is holding their breath.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

The spring is always alot less than fall, but the Gazette article is using some very positive spin by comparing to registrations at this time.

The thing is, typically there are alot more students enrolled between now and the start of the semester - usually 10% or so. Last spring enrollment ended up with 9162 total students. The question is will that happen this year. Rumors are that there are significant percentages of failing and not participating students, so the increase between now and january will not be very good. that rumor is the problem is system wide but perhaps is just complaining about students lack of interest, . We'll see what happens, the hope is that IUP will get over 8000, but no one is holding their breath.
          Even if they get to 8000...that's a 1000+ student drop. That's huge. This is a shame and I do hope it improves quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Even if they get to 8000...that's a 1000+ student drop. That's huge. This is a shame and I do hope it improves quickly.
            That's $10M

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That's $10M
              Yes. And there will be some schools in PASSHE that do bad, but when the historically strong schools start to lose lots of enrollment too...that could spell PASSHE's demise.

Comment

This article in the IG a few days ago says IUP's Spring enrollment is 7,399.
                I believe that total is full-time students who have registered already for the spring semester. Many, many students do not register until later, and that total does not include part-time and clock-hour students. I believe.
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

I hope it can come back. There are some enrollment positives in that article once you get past the overall numbers.

IUP BigIndians, what you are describing must be devastating for the local economy.
                  Well, I'd say it is crushing the bar/restaurant industry. You'd also be in a five-alarm panic if you were a slumlord in town. I've mentioned before many of the 'college houses' have been sold off to the flippers and are being sold as single family homes. There are very few students living outside of the immediate campus circumference.

But, yes, with that big of a dip the effect trickles far and wide. Even the coffee shops, pizza places, etc., ... heck of a lot less students to buy overpriced coffee.

One rumor going around is the infamous Carriage House / The Apartment Store is closing at the end of the Spring semester. That has certainly been one of the more notorious places on (near) campus for the past 30 years.

The sad irony is it took decades to get the campus to where it is today. It's big. Closed in (no more streets breaking it up). State of the art buildings and luxury dorms (compared to what we had). And, there's nobody here.

Comment

Well, I'd say it is crushing the bar/restaurant industry. You'd also be in a five-alarm panic if you were a slumlord in town. I've mentioned before many of the 'college houses' have been sold off to the flippers and are being sold as single family homes. There are very few students living outside of the immediate campus circumference.

But, yes, with that big of a dip the effect trickles far and wide. Even the coffee shops, pizza places, etc., ... heck of a lot less students to buy overpriced coffee.

One rumor going around is the infamous Carriage House / The Apartment Store is closing at the end of the Spring semester. That has certainly been one of the more notorious places on (near) campus for the past 30 years.

The sad irony is it took decades to get the campus to where it is today. It's big. Closed in (no more streets breaking it up). State of the art buildings and luxury dorms (compared to what we had). And, there's nobody here.
                    And to make matters worse, today's students are pretty sedentary. Instead of going out for food, they order in. Instead of going to watch or rent a movie, they're on Netflix. Instead of checking out the local record store (I know, I know), they're on Spotify. Instead of working in town, parents are just giving them money.

Comment

So a big question is how much is covid, and will come back, and how much is just the change in demographics and Failure of the IUP administration to adapt to the new students ? While alot of students I talk to claim they much prefer the face to face classes, there's a large number that want the convenience and ease of the on-line experience, except for a few courses they view as important.

Comment

• according to College Salary Report

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                          according to College Salary Report
                          Seems about right.

Comment

• I'm curious about spending. Edinboro just gave out $140k in salary raises to 3 administrators. Clarion just gave out upwards of $400k to force a football coaching change. I wonder what splurge Cal has in store.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              I'm curious about spending. Edinboro just gave out $140k in salary raises to 3 administrators. Clarion just gave out upwards of $400k to force a football coaching change. I wonder what splurge Cal has in store.
                              That is noteworthy. I also noticed that Clarion Wrestling just got back from the Reno Tournament of Champions in Reno, Nevada. That's a big multi-day trip for the team, coaches, and staff. The other D-1 wrestling schools no longer schedule those long trips, although Boro had a dual meet in North Dakota but that's only a one-day competition. LHU and Bloom now have geographically compact schedules which are still highly competitive. Does a trip to Reno come from scholarship money at Clarion? That is doubtful. I must say, though, Clarion Wrestling was down and now they are making a nice resurgence. Football is floundering.
                              Last edited by iupgroundhog; 12-22-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...music-program/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X