Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have to remember, these kids have always lived with curated options being provided to them (Netflix, Google Ads, Spotify, etc) and push notifications galore on their smart phone. The days of mailing away their application then sitting around waiting for weeks for an answer in the mail are LONG gone. Their attention span is so weak that they need constant engagement to remind them of what they want. I'd love to know the average age of admissions counselors for each PASSHE school.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

You have to remember, these kids have always lived with curated options being provided to them (Netflix, Google Ads, Spotify, etc) and push notifications galore on their smart phone. The days of mailing away their application then sitting around waiting for weeks for an answer in the mail are LONG gone. Their attention span is so weak that they need constant engagement to remind them of what they want. I'd love to know the average age of admissions counselors for each PASSHE school.
      They will get past it once the adulting begins after college.

Comment

You have to remember, these kids have always lived with curated options being provided to them (Netflix, Google Ads, Spotify, etc) and push notifications galore on their smart phone. The days of mailing away their application then sitting around waiting for weeks for an answer in the mail are LONG gone. Their attention span is so weak that they need constant engagement to remind them of what they want. I'd love to know the average age of admissions counselors for each PASSHE school.

In all seriousness how complicated can our admissions standard actually be? Did you graduate high school (are you on pace to)? Can you in some form pay the bill to attend?

You're in.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

In all seriousness how complicated can our admissions standard actually be? Did you graduate high school (are you on pace to)? Can you in some form pay the bill to attend?

You're in.
          That's pretty close I'd say in most cases.

Comment

I have received countless anecdotal stories from people about Slippery Rock just outdoing the other PASSHE schools on admissions, enrollment, orientation, & student experience. Nailing a campus tour then receiving a text from the student tour guide on the drive home following up. Other schools treating applicants like they're renewing their license.
            I've heard similar stories. But, now their enrollment is down and the undergrad is down a lot. Just like the other PASSHE schools.

So IF they didn't have that experience, would they be down a lot more? Or is the experience just really nice and streamlined, but not really mattering much in terms of numbers?

I mean, with Cal U, Clarion, and Edinboro having the uncertainty of the Integration...you'd think Slippery Rock would have been an an excellent spot to take some of their students. And their enrollment went down considerably.

----
            I think sometimes 1+1 = 1 with enrollment. Like you have a situation where kids took a gap year, so you'd think this year would be stronger with them returning. But, that's not the case at most schools. It just doesn't add up.

Then, there was the 'Enrollment is down because kids don't like remote' excuse. Well now schools are back in person...and still down.

You'd think some other PASSHE schools would be taking students from the Triads, etc. Not appearing to happen.

A possible explanation is that higher ed as a good just isn't something people want. Thus you get unpredictable demand that is highly specific to a person and therefore not logical. And at the price point PASSHE schools are at, that demand is even more unpredictable. And these kids are thinking twice about going into debt.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You're in.
              High schools and families have become so attuned to preparing students for college that the average applicant is generally what we'd accept. Average GPA and average SAT/ACT having been on the rise. Its much less about the application anymore and really just getting them to choose you. I've said it before, its much more similar to athletic recruiting where the more successful recruiters spend the most effort getting an applicant to choose them. We've all said it - is SRU or WCU any better than what our schools offer? Not really. In some cases they might offer less. But more students are choosing them than choose our schools.

Also, ability to pay is almost NEVER considered in the admissions process. At many schools the estimated cost of attendance for your particular student is almost never discussed prior to admission. Many schools say something like, "Congratulations! You're admitted - here's how much you'll pay and here's the deadline to get us your deposit." Society still does a lot of self-selecting by SES. Kids from Armstrong County generally aren't aware of Swarthmore or Bowdoin the same way kids from Kiski Prep and The Linsley School generally don't know that Clarion or Edinboro exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

I've heard similar stories. But, now their enrollment is down and the undergrad is down a lot. Just like the other PASSHE schools.

So IF they didn't have that experience, would they be down a lot more? Or is the experience just really nice and streamlined, but not really mattering much in terms of numbers?

I mean, with Cal U, Clarion, and Edinboro having the uncertainty of the Integration...you'd think Slippery Rock would have been an an excellent spot to take some of their students. And their enrollment went down considerably.

----
                I think sometimes 1+1 = 1 with enrollment. Like you have a situation where kids took a gap year, so you'd think this year would be stronger with them returning. But, that's not the case at most schools. It just doesn't add up.

Then, there was the 'Enrollment is down because kids don't like remote' excuse. Well now schools are back in person...and still down.

You'd think some other PASSHE schools would be taking students from the Triads, etc. Not appearing to happen.

A possible explanation is that higher ed as a good just isn't something people want. Thus you get unpredictable demand that is highly specific to a person and therefore not logical. And at the price point PASSHE schools are at, that demand is even more unpredictable. And these kids are thinking twice about going into debt.
                I think the "kids choosing things other than college" is only true if enrollment declines outpace population declines. Slippery Rock like the other western schools is nestled in a region that is losing population. Northwest PA is set to lose a third of its population over the next 30 years.

I'm interested in seeing what YSU says about enrollment. Their latest gimmick is charging PA residents $360 per year above in-state tuition. Someone who was telling me about their kid's bad experience at a Triad school said his kid out of nowhere wants to check out YSU. (Boy are they in for a surprise in that town!)

Comment

• Edinboro with some modest gains. Freshman class up 1% from last year and transfers up 5%.

I didn't catch an overall enrollment increase or decrease.

Comment

Edinboro with some modest gains. Freshman class up 1% from last year and transfers up 5%.

I didn't catch an overall enrollment increase or decrease.
                    Those two categories could add up to 20-30. Sounds like it will be a decrease. overall.

Comment

• "The agreement says any faculty member identified for retrenchment this year or in each of the next two years will not lose their job until June 2024."

https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...asshe-faculty/

Comment

• https://www.wcupa.edu/communications...JIp3u2-w6QVhIo

Comment

• The western triad names their VP to oversee all the academic pieces.

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/44...o-universities

Comment

• I see contraction continuing until there are 6 PASSHE schools left. Not long after, the realigned PSAC will be the best DII sports conference in the USA. Imagine 6 fully-funded sports programs. The GLIAC will never recover...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                              I see contraction continuing until there are 6 PASSHE schools left. Not long after, the realigned PSAC will be the best DII sports conference in the USA. Imagine 6 fully-funded sports programs. The GLIAC will never recover...
                              I'd agree this current exercise is a glorified band-aid.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                                I see contraction continuing until there are 6 PASSHE schools left. Not long after, the realigned PSAC will be the best DII sports conference in the USA. Imagine 6 fully-funded sports programs. The GLIAC will never recover...
                                I don't see them consolidating locations & athletic programs. Both triads have been asked to explore adding athletic programs at each campus location, especially programs that could be added with very little scholarship component. The net tuition revenue exceeds program expenses (even scholarships in PASSHE don't count against the budget). This is why private schools have many teams.

What I do see happening is further consolidations. Whether that means contracting to 2 large directionals (Eastern PA & Western PA) or 3-5 mid-size directionals (East, Central, West) remains to be seen. IUP & West Chester have immunity - I think that only lasts so long especially if everyone's enrollment is in a freefall. The state won't fund the system to a point that the cost makes them competitive and there aren't more students to be found. Consolidation is coming everywhere - there have already been two private mergers in PA in the last few years. I think PASSHE is trying to get ahead of the curve.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X