Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's so ironic that an IUP alum (Pulitzer Prize winner Susan Snyder) writes in the Inky that West Chester is the biggest and the best (most successful).

When I attended IUP in the late 70's/early 80's IUP was in a league of its own among the PA state schools. It was the biggest and the most competitive with the most academic programs. There was no comparison. IUP was unique in PA.

So, yeah, as someone who loves IUP, I am a little jealous of WCU. I admit it. I know WCU, to a certain extent. I formerly lived just outside of the borough and I used to use the WCU Library to do research.

What I disagree with in this article is that WCU administration and faculty had a lot to do with the surge they've experienced. From what I can see, they more or less just fell into the success. In the same way as the demise of the western and northern schools, it is primarily the result of demographics. In the case of WCU, it's demographics and cost. The folks there at WCU are just the lucky beneficiaries. Frankly, I don't think WCU institutionally did anything to produce the results. Their academic development has always been behind most of the other state schools. Not implementing a "residential revival" is being cited as a genius move now but I'll bet 10-15 years ago somebody at WCU was saying ' Hey, we have to keep up with these other schools that are building these fancy residences for students.' The housing movement was seen as progressive but WCU chose the status quo. That, apparently, keeps the costs down and plays a role in their recent growth. But I think the administration there was just lucky.

Comment

• The only difference I noticed being a graduate student at both IUP and WCU in the eighties, WCU had more students in the classroom. At WCU, however, I was working on a education degree, so that would be expected with all the teachers from the surrounding school districts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
        The only difference I noticed being a graduate student at both IUP and WCU in the eighties, WCU had more students in the classroom. At WCU, however, I was working on a education degree, so that would be expected with all the teachers from the surrounding school districts.
        And that was back when it was common for school districts to help pay for grad work. Once that stopped, education grad programs tanked.

I agree that WCU's success is largely making the most of their situation. But they also leaned into the fact that they didn't build by selling low cost. They do have the student outcomes but that could be reflective of the SES of their applicants. I imagine for those suburban kids not wanting Temple who they're looking at besides WCU. I imagine Drexel, Villanova and UD but Nova and Drexel are up there in price. Hard to get an average net price at UD for non-residents.

My wife has a cousin in Chadds Ford whose two boys attended UD and Penn State. Mom and dad went to WCU.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's so ironic that an IUP alum (Pulitzer Prize winner Susan Snyder) writes in the Inky that West Chester is the biggest and the best (most successful).

When I attended IUP in the late 70's/early 80's IUP was in a league of its own among the PA state schools. It was the biggest and the most competitive with the most academic programs. There was no comparison. IUP was unique in PA.

So, yeah, as someone who loves IUP, I am a little jealous of WCU. I admit it. I know WCU, to a certain extent. I formerly lived just outside of the borough and I used to use the WCU Library to do research.

What I disagree with in this article is that WCU administration and faculty had a lot to do with the surge they've experienced. From what I can see, they more or less just fell into the success. In the same way as the demise of the western and northern schools, it is primarily the result of demographics. In the case of WCU, it's demographics and cost. The folks there at WCU are just the lucky beneficiaries. Frankly, I don't think WCU institutionally did anything to produce the results. Their academic development has always been behind most of the other state schools. Not implementing a "residential revival" is being cited as a genius move now but I'll bet 10-15 years ago somebody at WCU was saying ' Hey, we have to keep up with these other schools that are building these fancy residences for students.' The housing movement was seen as progressive but WCU chose the status quo. That, apparently, keeps the costs down and plays a role in their recent growth. But I think the administration there was just lucky.

Comment

• I don't think buildings matter to students like they did 15 years ago. Many campuses have renovated buildings and new buildings...and tanking enrollment. I'm fairly sure that other schools have new buildings coming too as passhe has a refresh plan.

Comment

• Those Soviet Bloc dorms were so fun, though.

Hot as pi$$ year-round. But, man do I have fond memories of playing basketball under the lights at Esch until 3am and sneaking 30-packs in laundry baskets.

Different era, I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

I don't think buildings matter to students like they did 15 years ago. Many campuses have renovated buildings and new buildings...and tanking enrollment. I'm fairly sure that other schools have new buildings coming too as passhe has a refresh plan.

Comment

• Some of these schools bring in enrollment management consultants...and that's generally the advice - target STEM and I agree you need quality facilities/equipment for that.

Comment

• They might want to train teachers because there is a growing national shortage of them. Training teachers and teaching STEM subjects at the same time is not an impossible mission.

Comment

• The enrollment issues are mainly a function of cost rising to the point that most consumers don't see it as a good choice. They'd rather pay more and go to a different school.

Some other strategies may marginally help...but it's mainly cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They might want to train teachers because there is a growing national shortage of them. Training teachers and teaching STEM subjects at the same time is not an impossible mission.
                        Absolutely can do both.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Those Soviet Bloc dorms were so fun, though.

Hot as pi$$ year-round. But, man do I have fond memories of playing basketball under the lights at Esch until 3am and sneaking 30-packs in laundry baskets.

Different era, I suppose.
                          Last edited by IUPNation; 09-06-2021, 08:01 AM.

Comment

They might want to train teachers because there is a growing national shortage of them. Training teachers and teaching STEM subjects at the same time is not an impossible mission.
                            Last edited by IUPNation; 09-06-2021, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• I certainly won't disagree with this post. At Ship, we still have an on-campus elementary lab school and have just opened a new engineering building.

Comment

I certainly won't disagree with this post. At Ship, we still have an on-campus elementary lab school and have just opened a new engineering building.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X