Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you'll see so much sharing of classes among all passhe schools in the next 3-5 years that you'll basically be able to take any degree at any school. And I'm not just talking Triads. They were Phase 1.

Gone will be the days of School A offers this program. School B this one. Etc. I think that's the plan. And you reduce faculty and staff in the process.

Comment

• Not sure, although present indications are that we aren't getting enough new teachers even with 14 schools training them. At Ship the most popular majors are business, psychology, etc., now rather then education. I look for growth at the new engineering school as well. I think what will happen is that you'll have more specialization by campus and students who want some programs will either take them at the campuses that offer them or online. Schools that want to offer new disciplines are probably going to have to make a great case to the PASSHE board and the state. It'll be interesting to see what shakes out.

Comment

• Two generations going to college to study education then graduating with the following results:

A) Find a teaching job (local or afar), not make a lot of money, deal with student & parent BS plus read & hear people upset over teacher pay & calendar for 35 years.

B) Trouble finding a teaching job, pursue new career without any education or advanced training, but education degree debt.

Plus education is harder to get a degree in now. You must have I believe a 3.0 after 60 credits to advance and I believe maintain that GPA in order to get certified. My option after graduation with a BS in Education was to substitute around Pittsburgh until finding a job or moving somewhere far away and hope to move back. After a couple months of searching I chose grad school with a Plan B.

PASSHE used to be the only option to study education in PA. Then most colleges & universities began offering it. PASSHE's edge was history, most had an on campus lab school, and price. Our schools don't market that teacher training heritage very well, most lab schools have closed due to cost, and we lost our pricing advantage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          Two generations going to college to study education then graduating with the following results:

A) Find a teaching job (local or afar), not make a lot of money, deal with student & parent BS plus read & hear people upset over teacher pay & calendar for 35 years.

B) Trouble finding a teaching job, pursue new career without any education or advanced training, but education degree debt.

Plus education is harder to get a degree in now. You must have I believe a 3.0 after 60 credits to advance and I believe maintain that GPA in order to get certified. My option after graduation with a BS in Education was to substitute around Pittsburgh until finding a job or moving somewhere far away and hope to move back. After a couple months of searching I chose grad school with a Plan B.

PASSHE used to be the only option to study education in PA. Then most colleges & universities began offering it. PASSHE's edge was history, most had an on campus lab school, and price. Our schools don't market that teacher training heritage very well, most lab schools have closed due to cost, and we lost our pricing advantage.
          A lot of it is knowing the right people to help get in the big school districts. I had friends who got in to big schools and others who moved to WVA or MD (where they are dying for teachers).

Once you're in you are pretty set for a career so long as you do nothing stupid.

Never going to be rich but you won't be poor, either. Nice pension, too.

Plus making $75-$85k and getting the summer off is pretty ideal for most people (in addition to every known holiday under the sun). I know it takes awhile, however, to get up in that range at most schools.

All my teacher friends get golf course jobs or something in the summer (or teach summer school).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

A lot of it is knowing the right people to help get in the big school districts. I had friends who got in to big schools and others who moved to WVA or MD (where they are dying for teachers).

Once you're in you are pretty set for a career so long as you do nothing stupid.

Plus making $75-$85k and getting the summer off is pretty ideal for most people (in addition to every known holiday under the sun). I know it takes awhile, however, to get up in that range at most schools.

All my teacher friends get golf course jobs or something in the summer (or teach summer school).
            My dad hired elementary teachers for 20 years at The U. Most of the people with a connection were already in their system as a long term sub or a coach so they were a known quantity. He'd get 10,000+ applicants for one position. Fortunately NA was an early adopter of online ATS and he could sort through. He was very clear with me that he couldn't get me a job or even an interview.

Comment

My dad hired elementary teachers for 20 years at The U. Most of the people with a connection were already in their system as a long term sub or a coach so they were a known quantity. He'd get 10,000+ applicants for one position. Fortunately NA was an early adopter of online ATS and he could sort through. He was very clear with me that he couldn't get me a job or even an interview.
              The job market has changed quite a bit over the past 10 years. The leading edge of the baby boomers have already retired, and more of the trailing boomers are retiring year by year, including one of my wife's cousins, an elementary teacher for almost 40 years, who says this is the last year for him. One of my granddaughter's, a recent Ship graduate, went directly from college to teaching kindergarten in the Frederick County, Md., school district. I suspect it will become even more open over the next few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Depends what state you're in. It's not a bad gig in Pa., especially in small towns where the cost of living is relatively low. In W.Va. and many other states, not so much.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The job market has changed quite a bit over the past 10 years. The leading edge of the baby boomers have already retired, and more of the trailing boomers are retiring year by year, including one of my wife's cousins, an elementary teacher for almost 40 years, who says this is the last year for him. One of my granddaughter's, a recent Ship graduate, went directly from college to teaching kindergarten in the Frederick County, Md., school district. I suspect it will become even more open over the next few years.
                    Yes - but the previous decades of a crap job market made a lot of people pursue other careers. So the shortage will widen. Doesn't mean it will attract more students to study it though.

Comment

Yes - but the previous decades of a crap job market made a lot of people pursue other careers. So the shortage will widen. Doesn't mean it will attract more students to study it though.
                      It's money more than the job market now. People will put up with a lot of crap if they're being well-paid to do it. But in many states you're getting poor pay for the privilege of having people yell at you about how you're screwing up their little darlings. Over the years I sometimes wished I had gone into a scientific field because if you're in any field involving liberal arts you get kind of tired of every Tom, Dick, and Harry informing you that he knows more about your job than you do. But of course now science is no longer a refuge as we are informed that anyone on Facebook knows more science than scientists and that experts don't matter none. Teachers aren't going to be the only thing in short supply before long.

Comment

• Retrenchment: https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...-retrenchment/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                          I wonder how many other PASSHE schools did the same.

Comment

"Retrenchment." "Right-sizing." LOL. Amazing the euphemisms they can come up with when it hits the fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

"Retrenchment." "Right-sizing." LOL. Amazing the euphemisms they can come up with when it hits the fan.
                              They are academics. They need to use fancy terms.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X