Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Sorry that is all I have, but will ask the President next time I go drinking with him. (joke) No, I am just quoting the letter from the Council of Trustees. I trust they have information I don't. "The Implementation Plan Report does not include detailed analyses of deferred maintenance, physical plant issues, ongoing bond debt, or system loans, and is dependent upon certain enrollment projections........For the integration to be successful and the personnel/resources that Bloomsburg is pouring into it to be productive and not a drain" on Bloomsburg, they listed their concerns and a proposition with all details I quoted in the former post.
    I appreciate that the Bloom folks believe they are being taken advantage of, but I tend to think that is a very Bloom-centric view of things. I believe Lock Haven is set to lose more money in the pending deal than anyone in the form of reserves. The bottom line is that it's botched all the way around.

Comment

• I guess the NCAA can't save us.

https://www.inquirer.com/education/p...-20210428.html

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I appreciate that the Bloom folks believe they are being taken advantage of, but I tend to think that is a very Bloom-centric view of things. I believe Lock Haven is set to lose more money in the pending deal than anyone in the form of reserves. The bottom line is that it's botched all the way around.
        Found this from 2019 that listed some deferred maintenance at that time.
        https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...sidence-halls/

Comment

Yep. That's what I've been speculating. And the ncaa might say no. The whole 1 budget thing and 1 fin aid dept and other things might draw a no. They'll likely require delineation.

But, if this is going live in Aug 22 and the ncaa rejects this in 3 months...is there time to fix things and compete in 2022?

Comment

How can this guy even be taken seriously? If the NCAA says no (at this late date he admits that's a question mark), they'll "come up with a solution that works for everybody." Yeah, uh-huh. That's the writing on the wall right there. I hate to say it but I don't think it's being approved and I know he doesn't care. Bart, what we have there is an impending disaster. No joke. It's becoming more and more obvious.

Look, there is no legitimate reason that they don't have NCAA approval except that it probably won't be approved and he knows that. This is your bait and switch. My strong opinion is that it shouldn't be approved without the NCAA blessing. It has gotten this far based on a myth that 'each school can keep their intercollegiate athletics' and I don't believe that's happening.

Comment

Found this from 2019 that listed some deferred maintenance at that time.
              https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...sidence-halls/
              As the commenter at the bottom of the article notes those numbers are completely wrong. Plus, the deferred maintenance for the two dorms that were destroyed is off the books. LHU had 50mil+ in financial reserves. If Bloom feels they are getting screwed that makes 2 of the 3. Mansfield feels they are being saved and they are right.

Comment

How can this guy even be taken seriously? If the NCAA says no (at this late date he admits that's a question mark), they'll "come up with a solution that works for everybody." Yeah, uh-huh. That's the writing on the wall right there. I hate to say it but I don't think it's being approved and I know he doesn't care. Bart, what we have there is an impending disaster. No joke. It's becoming more and more obvious.

Look, there is no legitimate reason that they don't have NCAA approval except that it probably won't be approved and he knows that. This is your bait and switch. My strong opinion is that it shouldn't be approved without the NCAA blessing. It has gotten this far based on a myth that 'each school can keep their intercollegiate athletics' and I don't believe that's happening.
                I agree with that all. But, I think the board approves this no matter what. I feel like Greenstein and the BOG are in lockstep. They'll likely do what he wants. Which is the flaw in act 50. It needed more approvers.

It feels like a big bait and switch like you say. Now they're saying this isn't to reduce cost to students or to save money.

So once these schools become 1 school, it becomes much easier to close a branch campus. And for instance, in the West...Clarion and Edinboro will be branch campuses of Cal.

This is so political. The Republicans are silent while the Dems write letters in opposition. The protests against remind me of political protests too. People think the more numbers they get...the more the board will listen. I doubt that's the case.

Comment

As the commenter at the bottom of the article notes those numbers are completely wrong. Plus, the deferred maintenance for the two dorms that were destroyed is off the books. LHU had 50mil+ in financial reserves. If Bloom feels they are getting screwed that makes 2 of the 3. Mansfield feels they are being saved and they are right.
                  I'd say Mansfield and Clarion probably feel good about this. Not sure on Edinboro. The other 3 are against it.

There were rumors...not sure if true that one school had to recently take out a bond to make payroll.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

I'd say Mansfield and Clarion probably feel good about this. Not sure on Edinboro. The other 3 are against it.

There were rumors...not sure if true that one school had to recently take out a bond to make payroll.
                    This is how you close some of the schools. The merger changes the process for laying off faculty at different schools, and does an end around the union with regards to curriculum, both of which make the changes much easier, and more effective. For instance, they could eliminate whole departments at a merged university, and still keep academic accreditation. They can standardize major requirements across the merged universities, to the one they view as most efficient, and the Union won't be able to do much about it.

I wonder if the Union would want to reconsider the strike a few years back - that kept adjunct wages much higher than average. Adjuncts are takne advantage of at many universities, but the PASSHE contract sure tied the hands of administrations with regard to handling some of the cost issues. Personally, I'm disappointed that there weren't more things tried - for instance, faculty pay cuts, redoing how adjuncts were paid, targeted fees for high cost/low enrollment lab courses. "right sizing" can be done less harshly, and successfully. Maybe one or two schools still can't be made sustainable, then maybe consider a take over by stronger schools.

Comment

Mansfield did

Comment

Comment

• Part of me wonders if Greenstein was deluded enough to think the resistance would be smaller than the firestorm it is. He's likely used to getting his way. He also tends to be surrounded by people that I think are likely to agree with him.

But, his texting, eating, and not looking at the screen during the public comments was a really bad look. It might end up haunting him.

Comment

Part of me wonders if Greenstein was deluded enough to think the resistance would be smaller than the firestorm it is. He's likely used to getting his way. He also tends to be surrounded by people that I think are likely to agree with him.

But, his texting, eating, and not looking at the screen during the public comments was a really bad look. It might end up haunting him.
                            It might, and it makes you wonder to what degree he is invested in the system, or whether its just a game to him

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

It might, and it makes you wonder to what degree he is invested in the system, or whether its just a game to him
                              I think we know the answer to that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X