X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Life has challenges. That's not the fault of the baby boomers.
    Again I said no one generation is to blame for every problem. The Boomers are not without fault. Neither is Gen X the Millennials or the Zoomers. Everyone has their faults but only one gets ignored.

The Greatest Generation let urban America fall apart because of their racism.

The Boomers sold out.

Gen X is too cynical.

Tge Millennials are too needy.

The Zoomers eat Tide Pods and are unsocialized.

See? Nobody is perfect.

:-)

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Dude…everything was geared for and towards Boomers for 5-6 decades straight. We in Gen X have never been catered to..ever. Name one time Gen X was ever the main focus of anything? Boomers made sure we didn’t get a turn. Gen X is like King Charles waiting for Liz to give him his turn on throne..he got it when he was too old fully enjoy it. Welcome to Gen X!

I mean who is the biggest narcissistic look at me dipschitt in the world today? The Giant Orange Turd..because his Greatest Generation parents raised him to be that way…so again my point is no generation had the answers on everything especially raising kids. My parents were Silent/Greatest Generation..have 3 Boomer brothers and I was a midlife child born in the beginning of Gen X. My brothers got to do whatever they wanted but everything they did wrong I got the jail sentence for it. Then they had the audacity to say I got more than they did because my parents had more money after they got older and I was still a kid..so yes I was raised more strict but I had better clothes, vacations and sent to college. I look at it as a trade off..:-) Now who makes sure our 97 year old father with dementia is taken care of..the Boomers or the Gen X? Yep it’s me. They haven’t been bothered to do a thing.,to many issues for themselves I’m told..
    Life has challenges. That's not the fault of the baby boomers.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post

It always falls on the youngest child, no matter what generation.
    It shouldn’t all fall on one sibling.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Dude…everything was geared for and towards Boomers for 5-6 decades straight. We in Gen X have never been catered to..ever. Name one time Gen X was ever the main focus of anything? Boomers made sure we didn’t get a turn. Gen X is like King Charles waiting for Liz to give him his turn on throne..he got it when he was too old fully enjoy it. Welcome to Gen X!

I mean who is the biggest narcissistic look at me dipschitt in the world today? The Giant Orange Turd..because his Greatest Generation parents raised him to be that way…so again my point is no generation had the answers on everything especially raising kids. My parents were Silent/Greatest Generation..have 3 Boomer brothers and I was a midlife child born in the beginning of Gen X. My brothers got to do whatever they wanted but everything they did wrong I got the jail sentence for it. Then they had the audacity to say I got more than they did because my parents had more money after they got older and I was still a kid..so yes I was raised more strict but I had better clothes, vacations and sent to college. I look at it as a trade off..:-) Now who makes sure our 97 year old father with dementia is taken care of..the Boomers or the Gen X? Yep it’s me. They haven’t been bothered to do a thing.,to many issues for themselves I’m told..
    It always falls on the youngest child, no matter what generation.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The most "look at us only" generation? It isn't boomers I see taking millions of selfies, going out of their way to perform routines on the Interweb, and wailing about the Tik-Tok situation. Blaming one generation or another for society's woes is an exercise in wasting time.

Last edited by IUPNation; 03-16-2024, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Based on a picture I saw on Facebook last week of my 1st cousin's grandson when they graduate from one of those satellite campuses they hold up a banner that says "We are..."

Just sayin'.
    And that $200 suit from the Brooks Brothers store at the outlets is the same as the ones in Nordstrom. Yeah right.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I'm really confused about all this intergenerational animosity. I'm part of the Pepsi Generation but I always preferred Coke. Now I drink something called Soleil. Less filling. Doesn't taste great. No sugar.
    It's part of the increasing move we see toward tribal thinking versus individual critical thinking these days. Throughout human history there always has been a tendency to go along with the mob. It's a lot easier than thinking for yourself and also reinforces a belief that you're a member of the "in" group and on the right side of history. All the better if there's a group you can blame for the world's problems because they just don't get it like your tribe does. Also, thinking against the grain can make you unpopular, and most people have trouble dealing with that. If you live in an area where one political party or the other is ascendent (very common in today's U.S.), you quickly tire of people shaking their head or rolling their eyes at you to indicate how foolish you are to disagree with their profound way of thinking.

By shortening attention spans and offering instant gratification, the Interweb and social media have only accentuated this very human tendency. It's very easy to jump online, throw out a few jibes that get positive reactions from like-minded individuals, and think yourself very clever. We're living in a very ripe time for demagogues, and with the increasing development of AI and more sophisticated methods of propaganda, it's likely to get worse. This kind of stuff usually doesn't end well for humanity.

As I've indicated, I consider intergenerational hostility a fool's errand.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

The most "look at us only" generation? It isn't boomers I see taking millions of selfies, going out of their way to perform routines on the Interweb, and wailing about the Tik-Tok situation. Blaming one generation or another for society's woes is an exercise in wasting time.
    I'm really confused about all this intergenerational animosity. I'm part of the Pepsi Generation but I always preferred Coke. Now I drink something called Soleil. Less filling. Doesn't taste great. No sugar.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Yes PS Harrisburg is the only Penn State branch with positive growth in the last few years. Even the more successful ones like Erie/Behrend are down. Harrisburg is now one of the autonomous campuses with its own leadership. Essentially operating a PASSHE school but with Penn State branding. The smaller branches that are more like Penn State distance ed outreach campuses are under University Park control and all struggling. The mothership in State College is finding ways to cut $50M from their collective operating budgets. Most of these campuses are less than 1,000 students.

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...anch-campuses/
    Based on a picture I saw on Facebook last week of my 1st cousin's grandson when they graduate from one of those satellite campuses they hold up a banner that says "We are..."

Just sayin'.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Who is raising the kids to be this way? Honest question.

Also - was there ever a time when the older generations didn't complain about the younger ones? Has it ever mattered?

Leave a comment:

• The P in IUP
    replied
    Census Bureau released info on what we already know. Western Pa continues to lose population for the most part as compared to last year. Indiana County was one of the few counties in the west to gain some people.

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...nty-population

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

The 14 comprehensive university model is even less sustainable when you bring a bewildering variety of Penn State "branch" campuses into the mix. Penn State Harrisburg has become a four-year monster with a comprehensive sports program, drawing quite a few students who would have considered Ship or Millersville otherwise. One of my grandsons got his MBA at Ship, but got his engineering degree at Harrisburg because Ship didn't have its engineering program up at that point. Pennsylvania's lack of an overall plan for higher education is going to lead to a bad end for some campuses over the next decade or two.
    Yes PS Harrisburg is the only Penn State branch with positive growth in the last few years. Even the more successful ones like Erie/Behrend are down. Harrisburg is now one of the autonomous campuses with its own leadership. Essentially operating a PASSHE school but with Penn State branding. The smaller branches that are more like Penn State distance ed outreach campuses are under University Park control and all struggling. The mothership in State College is finding ways to cut $50M from their collective operating budgets. Most of these campuses are less than 1,000 students.

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...anch-campuses/

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

We'll have to disagree. All three PennWest campuses are in areas with declining population and a young person population that is declining even faster. The comprehensive model for in-person only works for proximity and degree so they're really only fighting to get a share of a declining base that would have ever considered them before consolidation. Building a campus that specializes in your area is going to be more attractive than a piss poor failing comprehensive campus. There is no way to cut their way to financial stability. They have to reverse over a decade of bad recruiting, bad retention, and a negative perception. Making Edinboro the fine arts campus of the three leans into their physical campus strength and something that makes choosing Penn West more attractive than studying art at somewhere like Slippery Rock. Part of the problem is that the 14 comprehensive university model was never sustainable. This doesn't mean Slippery Rock or IUP can't offer art - just that if you want to study art at Penn West its going to be at Edinboro. If you go to Clarion or Cal and need to take an art class for general ed requirements, it will be online. Right now academic departments are sprinkled between the 3 campuses but none are fully intact. Its a terrible dynamic and makes the already empty campuses feel more hollow.

To me the only downside is that it lends itself to doing the same with athletics, but I think they've learned that consolidating programs makes the tuition revenue deficit even worse.
    The 14 comprehensive university model is even less sustainable when you bring a bewildering variety of Penn State "branch" campuses into the mix. Penn State Harrisburg has become a four-year monster with a comprehensive sports program, drawing quite a few students who would have considered Ship or Millersville otherwise. One of my grandsons got his MBA at Ship, but got his engineering degree at Harrisburg because Ship didn't have its engineering program up at that point. Pennsylvania's lack of an overall plan for higher education is going to lead to a bad end for some campuses over the next decade or two.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

They raised the most entitled, self centered, look at us only generation ever in the Boomers. The Greatest Generation may have won a war but even they still ****ed up a lot of other things.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    The Greatest Generation raised great kids. Boomers were well adjusted, conscientious, and well educated. This was the first raised generation that was truly capable of breaking from their family past and make themselves what ever they wanted to be. Up until then, children generally went into the line of work of their parents. Unfortunately, Boomers took this new found freedom and became very selfish and self centered...and every generation since then has become more and more selfish and self centered until we get to the current generation that has done nothing but demands sooo much.
    They raised the most entitled, self centered, look at us only generation ever in the Boomers. The Greatest Generation may have won a war but even they still ****ed up a lot of other things.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X