X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post
    Press Enterprise summarizes "high risk update" report dated 12-18-23 that Commonwealth University will spend $10 million more than in brings in this year. Mansfield appears to be the cause of "crippling" debt with $110 million in debts that CU will have to carry for 33 years. Mansfield construction debts are "an anchor around our necks" per the president. CU will reduce scholarships, cut over 30 teaching jobs, and knock down buildings to cut costs and reduce debts.

The biggest financial challenge with the integration is Mansfield. Debts equal $1,527 per full time student at Bloom, $1,806 at Lock Haven, and $5,307 at Mansfield. Before integration, "Things were strong in Bloomsburg: less than strong, but sustainable in Lock Haven, and weak in Mansfield".
    They should have just closed Mansfield.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Press Enterprise summarizes "high risk update" report dated 12-18-23 that Commonwealth University will spend $10 million more than in brings in this year. Mansfield appears to be the cause of "crippling" debt with $110 million in debts that CU will have to carry for 33 years. Mansfield construction debts are "an anchor around our necks" per the president. CU will reduce scholarships, cut over 30 teaching jobs, and knock down buildings to cut costs and reduce debts.

The biggest financial challenge with the integration is Mansfield. Debts equal $1,527 per full time student at Bloom, $1,806 at Lock Haven, and $5,307 at Mansfield. Before integration, "Things were strong in Bloomsburg: less than strong, but sustainable in Lock Haven, and weak in Mansfield".

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Another Bloom donation of $7 million to be shared across the three campuses, while Bloom continues to share the debt of Mansfield.
    https://www.bloomu.edu/news/bloomsbu...honors-college
    Bloom is now "a legacy institution of CU."

That's a substantial gift.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    "The purpose of choosing Bloomsburg campus was to serve as a safety net for all three institutions. Whereas each campus used to handle its own finances, today they function as a single organization to manage funds."
    Another Bloom donation of $7 million to be shared across the three campuses, while Bloom continues to share the debt of Mansfield.
    https://www.bloomu.edu/news/bloomsbu...honors-college

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I'm a guy who had an English-History concentration in school and occasionally hears smart remarks at reunions and other get-togethers to the tune of, "Oh, you're an English major and you actually had a job?" Actually, I never lacked a job over a period of 45 years, and none of the humanities majors I know of from my class have had any problem, either. Employers look for people who can communicate and who are adaptable. A strong work ethic doesn't hurt. Changing demographics in the U.S. should ensure a strong job market for college graduates for some time. If nothing else, there is a tremendous demand for teachers in almost all subjects.
    When I worked at Mobil Oil in the 90’s, an executive at an informal work event told us that a college degree only gets your foot in the door. I believe that to be true. Getting through college unscathed proves you are trainable. Most jobs really train you to do the job. Most office jobs shouldn’t even require a bachelor’s degree…an associates at best.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

When you play the victim all the time, yes...
    Any “success” East Dennyburg had from
    1994-2007 was courtesy of the IUP Rule. You couldn’t touch us before it… Frank owned Denny.

33-0!!!
    Last edited by IUPNation; 03-07-2024, 07:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

"My philosophy is basically this. And this is something that I live by. And I always have. And I always will. Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what. No matter... where. Or who, or who you are with, or, or where you are going, or... or where you've been... ever. For any reason, whatsoever."
    Michael Scott
    Now if we could get all of the PSAC Football posters to heed those words.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I agree, too. I didn't major in Philosophy and have been a philosopher throughout my career, albeit unaccredited.
    "My philosophy is basically this. And this is something that I live by. And I always have. And I always will. Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what. No matter... where. Or who, or who you are with, or, or where you are going, or... or where you've been... ever. For any reason, whatsoever."
    Michael Scott

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I agree. I majored in Philosophy in college and have been a Philosopher for 44 years. No problem here.
    I agree, too. I didn't major in Philosophy and have been a philosopher throughout my career, albeit unaccredited.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

I'm a guy who had an English-History concentration in school and occasionally hears smart remarks at reunions and other get-together to the tune of, "Oh, you're an English major and you actually had a job?" Actually, I never lacked a job over a period of 45 years, and none of the humanities majors I know of from my class have had any problem, either. Employers look for people who can communicate and who are adaptable. A strong work ethic doesn't hurt. Changing demographics in the U.S. should ensure a strong job market for college graduates for some time. If nothing else, there is a tremendous demand for teachers in almost all subjects.
    I agree. I majored in Philosophy in college and have been a Philosopher for 44 years. No problem here.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Looking at the level of funding for state-related schools, I doubt they'd have done better going that route. They'd likely be "distinct" in having a considerably higher tuition.
    It's all conjecture. Alternatively, I would say the state has taken care of the state-relateds very well.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

If I'm correct to assume that Act 188 is the act that formed PASSHE, then I was there at the time. Of course, IUP resisted it but the powers that be outweighed IUP.

IUP's choice was to join in a confederation with the other 13 schools or go the state-related route. IUP felt the state-related route was too risky. We will never know what would have happened had they gone down that road. Personally, my belief is that it would have been better and allowed IUP to continue being distinct. Who knows, though?

I am actually surprised that they held onto that IUP distinction for about 20 of the 40 years since PASSHE was formed. Currently, though, I don't feel that IUP controls its own destiny. Well, I know they don't.

Yes, back then IUP had more students and better sports teams, as you say. However, it was also much more academically competitive. Everybody wanted to go to IUP in the late 70's/early 80's. IUP had an enrollment cap of 12, 500 so the scores of incoming students kept going up. At the time, 12,500 was a fairly big school.
    Looking at the level of funding for state-related schools, I doubt they'd have done better going that route. They'd likely be "distinct" in having a considerably higher tuition.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think its gotta be a little bit of both.

Potential students are more sophisticated about what they want to study but its become more linear. Civil Engineering means I'll be a Civil Engineer. Nursing means I'll be a nurse. Sociology or Literature don't have that linear path and help underscore the idea that non-linear programs are useless and the Starbucks barista with $100,000 in loan debt. In those programs that require some advanced aptitude like math or molecular biology, we're mostly getting students who need location or price above all else. Our core demographic sees college as career prep not "an education" so programs need to be a little more applied and job focused. That doesn't need to change much - required capstone experiences instead of free electives would be fine. That way the English Literature major can either do a career-related internship if that's what they want or they can do an undergraduate thesis if that is closer to their intended use of the degree. Regardless, the marketing, sales pitch, and value proposition of PASSHE is price. Our base price is lower than every other 4 year college or university in Pennsylvania, and that's before you consider the fact that PASSHE faculty have higher rates of holding terminal degrees, our schools use far less adjunct/part-time faculty than most schools and we also don't allow grad students to teach classes. So in theory you're getting more reliable teaching for a lower price.

Most students leave because they run out of money. Since our mission & core demographic are more financially sensitive, that won't change. Most universities with similar history and mission have similar retention & graduation numbers. Its why a lot of presidents have tried making our schools more expensive to attract students from wealthier households.
    I'm a guy who had an English-History concentration in school and occasionally hears smart remarks at reunions and other get-togethers to the tune of, "Oh, you're an English major and you actually had a job?" Actually, I never lacked a job over a period of 45 years, and none of the humanities majors I know of from my class have had any problem, either. Employers look for people who can communicate and who are adaptable. A strong work ethic doesn't hurt. Changing demographics in the U.S. should ensure a strong job market for college graduates for some time. If nothing else, there is a tremendous demand for teachers in almost all subjects.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Here's an article about a relevant development. Hope you can open it.

https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...ased-learning/

State system looks to work-based learning

LOCAL NEWS
    MAR 5, 2024
    FROM STAFF REPORTS

HARRISBURG — Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) and the PASSHE Foundation are launching a pilot initiative with major employers to increase work-based learning that provides real-world experiences for PASSHE university students.

Work-based learning, including paid internships and apprenticeships, enhances a student’s higher education and launches graduates into better jobs with higher incomes, which positively impacts their long-term earnings and economic mobility, a release from PASSHE noted.

Highmark Health is the initial partner employer and PASSHE invites other statewide and regional employers to join the initiative. Strada Education Foundation awarded a $750,000 grant to support the pilot project.

“At Strada, our mission is to strengthen connections between education after high school and opportunity, with a focus on helping people who face the greatest challenges. PASSHE has delivered on its commitments to advancing social mobility, and we are pleased to partner with the State System through this investment,” said Stephen Moret, president and CEO of Strada Education Foundation. “Our research demonstrates the impact of work-based learning on student outcomes. We are delighted to support the State System in expanding students’ participation in these opportunities.”

The pilot includes five State System universities from different regions of Pennsylvania: Cheyney (southeast), Commonwealth (north central), East Stroudsburg (northeast), Slippery Rock (west), and Shippensburg (central). PASSHE intends to expand the initiative to all 10 State System universities after the pilot is complete.

“The State System is incredibly excited to partner with Highmark Health and the Strada Education Foundation on this innovative initiative,” said PASSHE Chancellor Dan Greenstein. “With 14 legacy campuses throughout the state, PASSHE is uniquely positioned to partner with employers in Pennsylvania. Together, we can connect classroom learning with real-work experiences and strategically build a better process for connecting students and employers. Ultimately, that will help launch more students into great careers and provide the workforce talent that employers need.”

The three-year pilot will reach more than 1,000 students, beginning in Fall 2024.

“Highmark Health is proud to partner with PASSHE to support this initiative to combine classroom learning with work-based experiences for State System university students,” said Dan Onorato, executive vice president, chief corporate affairs officer, Highmark Health. “Our team members are transforming healthcare, and this collaboration will help us share that valuable experience with PASSHE students and meet skilled and motivated people who after graduation might join our world-class workforce.”

Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-07-2024, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

This is where the mistakes have been made. There is this disconnect in campus administration between what potential employers want and what HS seniors think they want. Its all about the metrics and what admins choose when evaluating their programs. For instance, premed programs get lots of Freshman, but not so many graduates. mediocre Admins look at this, and see a huge problem with retention. So they put pressure on the program, which changes requirements, and suddenly they graduate more but fewer actually get into med school. Passhe was playing whack a mole with these metrics, and the school admins went along, all the time, cutting budgets from Harrisburg. This decline didn't happen when demographics were bad in 2005 before the millennials started coming.
    I think its gotta be a little bit of both.

Potential students are more sophisticated about what they want to study but its become more linear. Civil Engineering means I'll be a Civil Engineer. Nursing means I'll be a nurse. Sociology or Literature don't have that linear path and help underscore the idea that non-linear programs are useless and the Starbucks barista with $100,000 in loan debt. In those programs that require some advanced aptitude like math or molecular biology, we're mostly getting students who need location or price above all else. Our core demographic sees college as career prep not "an education" so programs need to be a little more applied and job focused. That doesn't need to change much - required capstone experiences instead of free electives would be fine. That way the English Literature major can either do a career-related internship if that's what they want or they can do an undergraduate thesis if that is closer to their intended use of the degree. Regardless, the marketing, sales pitch, and value proposition of PASSHE is price. Our base price is lower than every other 4 year college or university in Pennsylvania, and that's before you consider the fact that PASSHE faculty have higher rates of holding terminal degrees, our schools use far less adjunct/part-time faculty than most schools and we also don't allow grad students to teach classes. So in theory you're getting more reliable teaching for a lower price.

Most students leave because they run out of money. Since our mission & core demographic are more financially sensitive, that won't change. Most universities with similar history and mission have similar retention & graduation numbers. Its why a lot of presidents have tried making our schools more expensive to attract students from wealthier households.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X