X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

In the end, the leadership in Harrisburg is to blame, Local leadership was stuck worrying about if one or another university would gain an advantage by building better dorms, and dining options. The demographics were clear by 2008, and PASSHE should have started downsizing workforce and facillities and preparing for that. But instead they downsized the state budget, defered maintenance, made the universities more independent, and pushed competition as a way to make universities "better". We were going to "grow". to save money they outsourced everything, as a cost savings, but really just made a windfall for certain big corporate service companies who got sweetheart deals, with guarantees of revenue, no doubt in exchange for some political donations. The universities were stuck in bad deals, plummeting enrollment by 2012 - and Harrisburg blaming everything except demographics and themselves.

Now suddenly independence is bad, most of the universities are way over extended, and Harrisburg is going to use the 14 PASSHE schools to extend the community college system. In 10 years, there may be 2 to 4 of the 14 left, and the rest will be transitioned to community colleges. Its very sad, because it didn't have to be that way.
    This is a great conversation. Unfortunate topic, but a lot of informed and insightful perspective.

Regarding the building frenzy, I see that as a by-product of the political climate of the state ("Harrisburg", if you will).

While funding for the academics of the state schools continued to slide into the abyss and was not valued in Harrisburg, the "capital improvements" were possible, as I understand it and recall, because funding for all of that was administered outside of the budgetary process. Furthermore, it was driven by private sector interests, i.e. the construction industry. And it "created jobs", so to speak. Of course, that was all shortsighted.

As somewhat of a justification, yes, there was competition between PASSHE members to have superior amenities - however - it was a national trend and it seems everybody got it wrong, except for those who profited from it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

We used to say in the military that you could tell when a base was going to be closed by the amount of $'s the DoD pumped in to new buildings/renovations. Just got a shinny new base HQ building?? Oh yea, going to close this b!tch in the next three years!!
    Makes sense lol

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It sure makes one wonder about the mega millions some of these schools are dumping in to athletic facilities (mainly basketball gyms) -- especially when many forecast they won't be around (in this capacity) in 5-10 years. I beleive SRU is starting a major (much needed) renovation of Morrow Fieldhouse this summer. Edinboro is on tap shortly after.

Clarion now has (my opinion) a Top 3 basketball facility in our league. I don't even know how they are paying the heating bill up there the way things are going. Then, of course, there is the ultimate shrine to the lunacy of this past era down in California (the Angelo Dome).
    We used to say in the military that you could tell when a base was going to be closed by the amount of $'s the DoD pumped in to new buildings/renovations. Just got a shinny new base HQ building?? Oh yea, going to close this b!tch in the next three years!!

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I believe not all the schools will survive, but I think 2 to 4 around in 10 years is a little pessimistic. If you eventually close 4-5 of the schools, the students who would go there are going to go elsewhere, and the best landing spot for them would often be one of the other PASSHE schools. And PASSHE schools aren't the only ones in financial peril. I doubt that every one of our small private liberal arts schools in Pa. and the Northeast are financially robust.
    I might be pessimistic, But things are pretty bad. I agree There will be some small privates close too.

There will probably still be institutions named the same name as the current PASSHE schools, but the governor is moving to lump the universities in with community colleges, and get rid of alot of the local leadership. At some point this will cause any outside support to dry up - donors want a say in the management of schools they donate too. Things like Sports scholarship money goes away completely then, and any unique nature of the school disappears, no traditional college experience, or sense of identity. What the governor is doing is smart in a way, he's shifting the revenue generating classes to the community colleges to make them much more efficient, with the less expensive faculty - essentially breaking the Union without saying that you did. If the Universities can run good majors programs independently without a loss, they will remain, but most probably won't be able to - it will be a survival of the fittest scenario. BTW WCU has done this already with adjuncts, and CC feeder schools. Then the Union went on strike over Adjunct use and pay, and won. So that is part of what drove this.

and so I'd guess there will be still be for instance a Penn West, but it will be on the same order as Allegheny County CC. The number of Majors at the weaker schools will be reduced as well. Some students will go to the remaining Passhe schools, but the PSU branches will get alot of them as well. As will the Pitt Branches. I'd bet we end up with WCU in the east, Rock in the west. Bloom and maybe a Ship/millersville merger. IUP will have to get its act together to stay out of becoming part of Penn West - I'd say its 50/50 right now.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

In the end, the leadership in Harrisburg is to blame, Local leadership was stuck worrying about if one or another university would gain an advantage by building better dorms, and dining options. The demographics were clear by 2008, and PASSHE should have started downsizing workforce and facillities and preparing for that. But instead they downsized the state budget, defered maintenance, made the universities more independent, and pushed competition as a way to make universities "better". We were going to "grow". to save money they outsourced everything, as a cost savings, but really just made a windfall for certain big corporate service companies who got sweetheart deals, with guarantees of revenue, no doubt in exchange for some political donations. The universities were stuck in bad deals, plummeting enrollment by 2012 - and Harrisburg blaming everything except demographics and themselves.

Now suddenly independence is bad, most of the universities are way over extended, and Harrisburg is going to use the 14 PASSHE schools to extend the community college system. In 10 years, there may be 2 to 4 of the 14 left, and the rest will be transitioned to community colleges. Its very sad, because it didn't have to be that way.
    YES. Everyone thought they could grow and sustain the demographic peak of 2010. Everyone. And nobody at the state level called BS. Like Homer Simpson supervising at the nuclear power plant.

All the Boomers thought shiny new buildings and everyone getting their own bedroom was the solution. Cost didn't matter because until then students just borrowed their way to the college experience of their dreams. Then the recession happened and the mortgage bubble burst. Those kids who grew up through that realized the price and debt with college was stupid and started openly questioning costs. Near unanimous votes for fee increases by students came to an end. They still want all those amenities like its a Disney Grand Indianan Resort but they still want the Clarion State College price.

The other big issue is that most of the struggling schools never adapted their degree programs to the evolving demand. The reasons Slippery Rock and to lesser degrees IUP, Shippensburg, Lock Haven, and Kutztown are stable is because they have many of the job-ready degree programs students now want. The applied science, tech, health,, pre-professional, etc. A quick Google search will show schools across the country and of all shapes and sizes are cutting traditional liberal arts degree programs. Students no longer choose majors based on their favorite high school class. They choose a job that is attractive then backtrack to identify degree programs that lead to the specific job.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I believe not all the schools will survive, but I think 2 to 4 around in 10 years is a little pessimistic. If you eventually close 4-5 of the schools, the students who would go there are going to go elsewhere, and the best landing spot for them would often be one of the other PASSHE schools. And PASSHE schools aren't the only ones in financial peril. I doubt that every one of our small private liberal arts schools in Pa. and the Northeast are financially robust.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It sure makes one wonder about the mega millions some of these schools are dumping in to athletic facilities (mainly basketball gyms) -- especially when many forecast they won't be around (in this capacity) in 5-10 years. I beleive SRU is starting a major (much needed) renovation of Morrow Fieldhouse this summer. Edinboro is on tap shortly after.

Clarion now has (my opinion) a Top 3 basketball facility in our league. I don't even know how they are paying the heating bill up there the way things are going. Then, of course, there is the ultimate shrine to the lunacy of this past era down in California (the Angelo Dome).

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

IUP sure has some fancy new 'dorms' ... being used only by bugs.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The campus build ups to appease Millennials in the 00’s is everyone’s undoing.
    IUP sure has some fancy new 'dorms' ... being used only by bugs.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Blood in the water. That's about 80 dudes entering the portal tomorrow.

Unfortunate but that's the reality.
    The campus build ups to appease Millennials in the 00’s is everyone’s undoing.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Not to mention the 17 student athletes that just signed to play there as well. Couple all conference OL that I'm sure will fetch some offers for sure.
    Luckily for them they have advanced warning and can enter the Portal on March 1 (and re-open their recruitment).

The AB kids really got screwed.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

Not to mention the 17 student athletes that just signed to play there as well. Couple all conference OL that I'm sure will fetch some offers for sure.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s crazy since they were good in foosball only a few years ago. Small Catholic schools are going g to struggle. Villanova is supposed to reopen the Cabrini campus in 2026…Inthink it will house the law school.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I was on campus at Clarion today. It was so dead you'd think it was a Thursday in July. What a shame. Beautiful new and renovated buildings everywhere.
    Nicest the place has ever been.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I was on campus at Clarion today. It was so dead you'd think it was a Thursday in July. What a shame. Beautiful new and renovated buildings everywhere.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X