X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s crazy since they were good in foosball only a few years ago. Small Catholic schools are going g to struggle. Villanova is supposed to reopen the Cabrini campus in 2026…Inthink it will house the law school.
    Blood in the water. That's about 80 dudes entering the portal tomorrow.

Unfortunate but that's the reality.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I was on campus at Clarion today. It was so dead you'd think it was a Thursday in July. What a shame. Beautiful new and renovated buildings everywhere.
    Nicest the place has ever been.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I was on campus at Clarion today. It was so dead you'd think it was a Thursday in July. What a shame. Beautiful new and renovated buildings everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Fake Notre Dame going the way of Alderson Broaddus. Just with better comedic timing.

https://signalcleveland.org/notre-da...ring-semester/
    It’s crazy since they were good in foosball only a few years ago. Small Catholic schools are going g to struggle. Villanova is supposed to reopen the Cabrini campus in 2026…Inthink it will house the law school.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Notre Dame (OH) will officially close at the end of this semester.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post
    Mansfield pulling everyone down.

"Commonwealth University faces deteriorating finances with about $10.42 million dollars of deficits, an almost $3 million jump from September. Administrators are now considering possible cuts to student aid and other various funding.

The Mansfield campus has posed an issue with its total dining and housing debt of $8.97 million due to the installation of brand-new dormitories prior to the integration that began Jul. 1, 2022

The purpose of choosing Bloomsburg campus was to serve as a safety net for all three institutions. Whereas each campus used to handle its own finances, today they function as a single organization to manage funds."

https://buvoice.com/6416/news/cu-def...er-in-the-red/
    I realize the idea would be met with skepticism but I think the Mansfield campus could possibly be sold off. Maybe some faith-based organization or other type of organization could use it as a retreat. Maybe Boy Scouts of America. Just thinking out loud. I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Mansfield pulling everyone down.

"Commonwealth University faces deteriorating finances with about $10.42 million dollars of deficits, an almost $3 million jump from September. Administrators are now considering possible cuts to student aid and other various funding.

The Mansfield campus has posed an issue with its total dining and housing debt of $8.97 million due to the installation of brand-new dormitories prior to the integration that began Jul. 1, 2022

The purpose of choosing Bloomsburg campus was to serve as a safety net for all three institutions. Whereas each campus used to handle its own finances, today they function as a single organization to manage funds."

https://buvoice.com/6416/news/cu-def...er-in-the-red/

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Fake Notre Dame going the way of Alderson Broaddus. Just with better comedic timing.

https://signalcleveland.org/notre-da...ring-semester/

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Right . . . But the report is filled with complaints about the racist locals. And indeed there are a lot of such hostilities in Indiana and elsewhere for black students, being unfairly profiled, dirty looks, ignorant words, threats, and more. But there is a threat that they never mention and has been more deadly. they don't help students cope with that. I'm sure part of the new budget will be for a bunch of on-line training resources to help fight this problem - someone will make millions on that. It will do jack for safety and understanding. It would be interesting to see how these funds are cycled around to companies that give campaign donations.
    I guess we'd know more about the actual incident had there been any arrests made or any (at all) media coverage since that week.

It is utterly amazing how that event/story just vanished. Poof. It's been almost four months and not a peep.

I just wonder how differently that event would have been covered if it was a local young person killed.

It is extremely odd how this whole town seems to have forgot it even happened.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It wasn't 'at' IUP (couple miles off campus) nor was it an IUP-sanctioned event.

Obviously it was a Homecoming event (not by IUP) that targeted IUP students, but that's where it ends.

Just like IUPatties. President Bow-tie says it's off-campus. Not his problem.
    Right . . . But the report is filled with complaints about the racist locals. And indeed there are a lot of such hostilities in Indiana and elsewhere for black students, being unfairly profiled, dirty looks, ignorant words, threats, and more. But there is a threat that they never mention and has been more deadly. they don't help students cope with that. I'm sure part of the new budget will be for a bunch of on-line training resources to help fight this problem - someone will make millions on that. It will do jack for safety and understanding. It would be interesting to see how these funds are cycled around to companies that give campaign donations.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Interesting report, though I'm surprised that it didn't mention the mass shooting at IUP. Talk about hostile environment, getting shot at seems pretty hostile.
    It wasn't 'at' IUP (couple miles off campus) nor was it an IUP-sanctioned event.

Obviously it was a Homecoming event (not by IUP) that targeted IUP students, but that's where it ends.

Just like IUPatties. President Bow-tie says it's off-campus. Not his problem.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Interesting report, though I'm surprised that it didn't mention the mass shooting at IUP. Talk about hostile environment, getting shot at seems pretty hostile.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Today Big D Josh announced his budget plan for higher ed:

- 15% appropriation increase for PASSHE and state community colleges. It sounds like this amount includes funds needed to start the process toward combining systems.

- 15% appropriation increase for Thaddeus Stevens, the other college owned by the state government. I'm not sure why they aren't included in the new governance idea.

- 5% appropriation increase for Lincoln, Penn State, Pitt, and Temple.

- $279 million annually, starting in in 2025, to provide enough funding to cover a total out of pocket cost of $1,000 per semester for those households earning under $75k and increasing the full state need-based grant by $1,000

- Level-funding for all state need-based grants for students attending private colleges

- A new $15 million fund for student teacher stipends

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Because a lot of the people in that town, especially the elected officials and even some of the businesses, are just a**holes and they take it out on the college students. It's no wonder a lot of them didn't stick around on weekends.

And your assessment is slightly off. Without the university, California Borough is basically a mash-up of Wilkinsburg and Clairton with a dose of Monessen thrown in. I don't miss that hell hole at all.
    LOL!

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Rock House actually just lost its liquor license lol. There is still really only one bar in Slippery Rock. There is the brewery and a newer moonshine distillery/restaurant but students don't go to either. On the border of town in front of Giant Eagle is the Coney Island restaurant and bar but its also lost its allure with students.

Slippery Rock is just as much of a road crossing as it is a college town. Most of the vehicular traffic is cutting from I-79 to Route 8, cutting from New Castle over to Butler, or traffic cutting the corner from I-79 north to I-80 east. There is also a significant transient workforce from oil & gas drilling, the limestone quarries, and Iron Mountain underground storage in Boyers. A lot of people also pass through on their way to their camps. Nearly all of the issues I'm aware of with racism and other discrimination have been community members, transient workers, or other unknown people directed at SRU students.

Legally, PASSHE schools can't punish hate speech or prohibit outsiders from coming onto campus for hate speech. The Klan can legally stage daily protests in the middle of Cheyney's campus and as long as the protesters don't violate the law or campus policy.
    In my day, we had the Oak Grove preacher. He wasn't a racist that I know of, but he was evangelical and VERY DRAMATIC. It was great entertainment between classes and I'm sure he made a lot of students late for class.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X