X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EastStroud13
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    However, this report is sponsored by the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. PHRC serves an important role. As an employer, I have dealt with the PHRC and realize that their reason to exist is to find discrimination. Just something to think about. I think the conclusions in the report are mostly correct but there are some different angles to consider, too.
    This is a good point. A grain of salt is warranted (though, not as large a grain as is needed when it comes to campuses self-reporting).

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Can you give me an example to understand your perspective?
    For one, Farrell's desire to move to the WPIAL was partially motivated by racist incidents: https://www.sharonherald.com/news/fa...a25242514.html

Southern Columbia was the epicenter of an investigation around their title game against Westinghouse last year: https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...e-title-games/

Even just last month there was an incident at Altoona: https://www.altoonamirror.com/news/l...cial-incident/

The fact is, that these types of issues have plagued much of rural Pennsylvania for many years. Kids grow up in it, and then some of them bring it to college with them. It's on school administrations to act effectively and decisively in order to prevent these things from developing into a campus culture.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don't recall all of the details but a year or 2 ago there was an egregious act of hate at IUP (didn't it happen at a BB game?) and the President took decisive and appropriate action which was supported by the IUP community, in general. The message was unambiguous. That's one. Those are the kinds of acts that strengthen the culture. But to a great extent, I think you would find differences at the university level, e.g. on-campus groups and activities that strengthen the culture. If those kinds of things are absent, a different culture can take hold.
    Yes. Some preppy white girl ran her mouth on social media with a lot of racist comments. She was then spotted at the game. She was very lucky to leave the area in one piece.

She left IUP days later.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    I know discrimination and all that comes with it exists and exists on PASSHE campuses. I think everybody knows that.

I am probably one of the biggest appreciators of diversity you would ever meet. I remember the first time I googled 'woke' that everybody was talking about because I didn't know what it meant. I read the definition given and thought "Dang, I've been woke for like 40 years and I didn't even know it."

However, this report is sponsored by the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. PHRC serves an important role. As an employer, I have dealt with the PHRC and realize that their reason to exist is to find discrimination. Just something to think about. I think the conclusions in the report are mostly correct but there are some different angles to consider, too.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    However, this type of research needs to be scrutinized. Not saying it doesn't reflect reality. There are a lot of factors that go into this and if I had to guess which schools would come out with the worst ratings without seeing this study I think I would be correct.

Remember to not confuse correlation with causation, For example, these 4 campuses have lost some of the highest percentages of students, so could it be true that those remaining are skewed towards locals more? Could a factor be the nature of the greater community, including outside of the campus?

Furthermore, this is qualitative research which always comes with a caveat that the conclusions are not necessarily statistically projectable. This article states that the results are in opposition to a quantitative survey done in 2022 and claims that this is the real deal because "participants didn't just fill in blanks." That is clearly debatable.

How in-depth did the questioners probe? The specific incidents mentioned in the article are terrible but they are anecdotal.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I don't recall all of the details but a year or 2 ago there was an egregious act of hate at IUP (didn't it happen at a BB game?) and the President took decisive and appropriate action which was supported by the IUP community, in general. The message was unambiguous. That's one. Those are the kinds of acts that strengthen the culture. But to a great extent, I think you would find differences at the university level, e.g. on-campus groups and activities that strengthen the culture. If those kinds of things are absent, a different culture can take hold.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Maybe they get all the rural students while IUP and Slimey get students From urban areas.
    Ship is located in one of the most consistently red areas of the state.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I knew that was going to be the answer when I asked it.
    Oh? I actually didn't know which school she had attended until I looked it up.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I'm sorry, but if you believe that each administration is completely neutral, I have a bridge to sell you. Harrisburg isn't going to bother to be the enforcer, so effectively every PASSHE office is essentially on their own.

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied

Not at PASSHE schools. Administration by law must be viewpoint neutral. The political culture of each campus is purely independent on who enrolls.
    I'm sorry, but if you believe that each administration is completely neutral, I have a bridge to sell you. Harrisburg isn't going to bother to be the enforcer, so effectively every PASSHE office is essentially on their own.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Perhaps the students create the environment, but it is the administration that allows it to happen. The responsibility falls squarely on them.

It's not a complete coincidence that all four are in rural, conservative areas. Pennsyltucky has a major problem with racism and always has. You can find evidence of this at high schools as well. This isn't simply Nation hysteria.
    Not at PASSHE schools. Administration by law must be viewpoint neutral. The political culture of each campus is purely independent on who enrolls.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Perhaps the students create the environment, but it is the administration that allows it to happen. The responsibility falls squarely on them.

It's not a complete coincidence that all four are in rural, conservative areas. Pennsyltucky has a major problem with racism and always has. You can find evidence of this at high schools as well. This isn't simply Nation hysteria.
    Nation personally experienced it.

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post

You can say that all the campuses are in conservative ares. It is the students who create the campus environment and they could come from liberal places. The surprise is that 3 of the worst campuses merged into 1.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post

I guess you didn't read the articles.
    I browsed through it.

Trust me I had plenty of harassment in my 4 years at IUP. The notion that all college students are liberals is a myth. There were plenty of Neanderthals dragging their knuckles across the Oak Grove.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Maybe they get all the rural students while IUP and Slimey get students From urban areas.
    I guess you didn't read the articles.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X