Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    PASSHE is gifting Clarion's Venango campus in Oil City to a regional entity. According to the story this will save PennWest approximately $1.6 million a year in operating costs plus remove about $6 million in planned renovation needs.

https://www.exploreclarion.com/2024/...oogle_vignette

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Stay tuned. Unsure if anything specific to the osteopathic school is included, but a BIG announcement from Josh coming in the next few weeks.
    It’s a taxpayer investment to provide services to taxpayers in underserved areas. Who can be against that? Rhetorical question…

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

You’d think the state could fund it. Come on Josh..do the right thing.
    Stay tuned. Unsure if anything specific to the osteopathic school is included, but a BIG announcement from Josh coming in the next few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    $500k from the IUP Alumni Association to help kickstart the osteopathic medicine school.

https://triblive.com/local/regional/...llege-project/
    You’d think the state could fund it. Come on Josh..do the right thing.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    $500k from the IUP Alumni Association to help kickstart the osteopathic medicine school.

https://triblive.com/local/regional/...llege-project/

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Lake Erie College is having trouble paying its bond debt.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...epay-bond-debt

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It depends a lot on where the courses are going. Just because you get credits doesn't mean it makes you earn your degree any faster. PASSHE schools have a very large general education course load. Probably too much. So its likely to match well at a PASSHE school as long as the community college courses are fairly general or are offered at the new school. For example, when I was at RMU, there were only 18 credits of general education so transfer credits would be awarded but didn't count much toward the degree. Even at a PASSHE school, changing your major after your sophomore year to something unrelated will add at least two semesters. A transfer could have 60 credits but only 12 count toward their degree depending on the flexibility of the general education requirements. A lot of programs have replaced free electives with for-credit internships and similar capstone experiences.

The other challenge is that while credits transfer or are at least awarded, many schools have policies that so many credits must be earned at that school to be awarded a degree. That's the first thing I think of when I see athletes attending 3, 4, or 5 schools or transferring late in their program.
    The number or those transfers who actually get handed a diploma would probably make you vomit.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

OK, but then why mention that transferring credits is a problem if it isn't a problem? Community colleges and four-year institutions in our area are probably more in sync than they have been for years.
    It depends a lot on where the courses are going. Just because you get credits doesn't mean it makes you earn your degree any faster. PASSHE schools have a very large general education course load. Probably too much. So its likely to match well at a PASSHE school as long as the community college courses are fairly general or are offered at the new school. For example, when I was at RMU, there were only 18 credits of general education so transfer credits would be awarded but didn't count much toward the degree. Even at a PASSHE school, changing your major after your sophomore year to something unrelated will add at least two semesters. A transfer could have 60 credits but only 12 count toward their degree depending on the flexibility of the general education requirements. A lot of programs have replaced free electives with for-credit internships and similar capstone experiences.

The other challenge is that while credits transfer or are at least awarded, many schools have policies that so many credits must be earned at that school to be awarded a degree. That's the first thing I think of when I see athletes attending 3, 4, or 5 schools or transferring late in their program.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

VERY common. They're so common and almost universal that I don't understand why they make a deal out of them at all. Essentially just means that you guarantee credits transfer so it may not count toward a specific class but Ship will still count it toward 120.
    Usually, there is a de facto transferability of all CC credits into state schools, so long as the field of study is compatible. However, when the schools make a formal arrangement it becomes institutionalized. There is a stated, written plan which, I believe, facilitates the process for both the school and the student. Also, the relationship is going to be marketed.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

VERY common. They're so common and almost universal that I don't understand why they make a deal out of them at all. Essentially just means that you guarantee credits transfer so it may not count toward a specific class but Ship will still count it toward 120.
    OK, but then why mention that transferring credits is a problem if it isn't a problem? Community colleges and four-year institutions in our area are probably more in sync than they have been for years.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Another sign of our state's demographics and this current generation being less interested in humanities and liberal arts.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...egree-programs
    Higher education is an ever-changing environment, that's for sure. Who knows how it will all shake out? One thing is obvious, though, and that's that a status quo approach is not going to work for any higher ed institution. We'll understand it more in, like, 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Another sign of our state's demographics and this current generation being less interested in humanities and liberal arts.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...egree-programs

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Ship has agreements with both Harrisburg Area Community College and Hagerstown (Md.) Community College about accepting transfer credits, and I think they're working on others.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    An interesting anecdote from a national author I follow who covers colleges and universities. His last book was about the college admissions process at selective schools. He recently gave an update on the students he featured in that book.

PASSHE really missing an opportunity here.
    He could have gone to IUP and been done by now…

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    An interesting anecdote from a national author I follow who covers colleges and universities. His last book was about the college admissions process at selective schools. He recently gave an update on the students he featured in that book.

PASSHE really missing an opportunity here.
    Ship has agreements with both Harrisburg Area Community College and Hagerstown (Md.) Community College about accepting transfer credits, and I think they're working on others.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X