• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    PASSHE down 29% since the 2010 peak.

Pitt outlet store branches down 36%.

Penn State outlet store branches down 30%.

https://triblive.com/local/valley-ne...d-to-continue/

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

One can say the same thing about Eastern.

However my department has had several Cabrini student athletes hired since 2017 and they’ve all done well.
    It's interesting how so many of the tiny Catholic colleges in the area e.g. , Neumann, have transformed into much bigger schools (universities, mind you), even Immaculata, Eastern also, but that is a Baptist school. You could throw in bigger schools like St. Joe's and Villanova that have experienced growth, further out DeSales up by Allentown, also. But Cabrini could never get on a straight path. From my experience, they seemed to rely a lot on what could be called continuing education, or adult classes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I could never figure out why Cabrini existed.
    One can say the same thing about Eastern.

However my department has had several Cabrini student athletes hired since 2017 and they’ve all done well.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Cabrini University is closing. Villanova has agreed to purchase the campus but not merge with the university.
    I could never figure out why Cabrini existed.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Cabrini University is closing. Villanova has agreed to purchase the campus but not merge with the university.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I'm looking for facts. Sometimes it's tough to find them here...
    Facts and message boards often don't go together. May want to look elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied

You could read the previous 216 pages of this thread. It's perhaps the most in-depth discussion of the two mergers anywhere.
    I'm looking for facts. Sometimes it's tough to find them here...

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I have heard that the two different triads had completely different rollouts for their "merge". Apparently the Western triad did their transition earlier than here in the East. Apparently it was much "smoother" than here, but that's a relative term...I wonder why both triads weren't using the same processes. Anyone else hearing anything of this?
    Its been a mess. Both triads doing the same thing from a high level but nothing from the start has been the same. They even used different marketing firms to assist with naming and branding. The Western group was much quicker to get their things rolling because academically the schools aligned very well. Then they rolled out the name and branding and it the crap hit the fan. The Central group saw this and tried saying that they're keeping the branding of each campus as XX University - but all PASSHE reporting says Commonwealth - Mansfield etc. Administratively they also delayed the start of their integration work. I wonder if the Lock Haven fight was a factor. Since then both schools have had a ton of management turnover. Commonwealth had some issues with union CBA and combining jobs that require traveling to multiple campuses.

My wife is going back to school and her program is through one of the merged schools. Its a GD mess.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    I have heard that the two different triads had completely different rollouts for their "merge". Apparently the Western triad did their transition earlier than here in the East. Apparently it was much "smoother" than here, but that's a relative term...I wonder why both triads weren't using the same processes. Anyone else hearing anything of this?
    You could read the previous 216 pages of this thread. It's perhaps the most in-depth discussion of the two mergers anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Haven't heard about the merging practices. I have heard the Western triad is expecting a massive decline in enrollment this fall.

On a funny note, Clarion's best women's basketball player transferred to Cal. I guess it's all in the family.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Great summation of how colleges got to this point.
    That article is a little dated. With a new president at the helm, Ship is making some progress at steadying the numbers in recent months.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post
    Vox article that talks about Ship and many of the issues PA and other states are facing with enrollment declines that we've talked about here

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/23...ducation-crash
    Great summation of how colleges got to this point.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post
    Vox article that talks about Ship and many of the issues PA and other states are facing with enrollment declines that we've talked about here

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/23...ducation-crash
    I don't think "many universities." Some. Beyond states merging state schools, the ones fully closing are small (under 2k students) private schools 99.9% of us have never heard of with tiny endowments (under $20M) and have run out of ways to borrow to stay open. Its basically the campus version of many PASSHE students: lowest tax brackets family income, little to no expected family contribution, least likely to be academically prepared for college, and most susceptible to economic changes. A lot run out of ways to borrow money or relatives to co-sign on private loans. Generations ago these kids would be working 10-15 hours a week to pay their tuition bill. There was a study done a few years ago that said,

On average, a student would have to work 2,022 hours on minimum wage to afford a year of tuition at a public university. That equates to roughly 39 hours per week.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The trickle down is having a horrific effect in many of our small college towns. When you're talking thousands less students that's equals a massive amount of revenue not being spent in our little towns - slum lords, bars, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

A lot of these towns survived off these kids coming to campus every (late) August. Take a drive through the Clarion's of the world in today's enrollment crisis. It's sad -- especially for those of us who remember what they used to be.
    West Chester is the opposite. The downtown area wasn’t much of anything 30 years ago and now it’s really nice. If I didn’t love where I live now I’d want to be in Downtown in The WC.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X