Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This kind of reminds me of how some of these schools bring in enrollment management consultants. They pay them a decent amount. They forecast like x growth over the next 3 years...and come up with a plan. And we see that these schools enrollment is still declining.

Now would it have declined worse? Who knows?

In these Triads, with these wildly optimistic numbers and projections, they're still barely making it. <-- That's a huge red flag. What happens if these schools like 10-15% enrollment year 1 because of this drastic change?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

LOL ironically one of the suggestions for academic growth is the creation of a cannabis science certificate.

But yes, the 6 schools in question have nearly $470 million in construction debt. Mansfield owes the system $7 million in operational debt.
      I think it's a sunk cost. Repayment of the debt has to be done regardless of whether the school exists or not.

If the school continues to lose money operationally the debt shouldn't be a factor.

Debt isn't a factor in the decision to close or not close.

Comment

• Its a bit 11th hour, but there are some really compelling reports being shared on the Twitter right now. To make this plan work, every campus is going to cut costs (shed jobs). The job elimination plans at four schools will be the largest mass layoff in their respective county within the last decade. I know universities aren't there to keep people employed but there are only negative ripple effects when you remove good paying jobs from rural communities.

Comment

Its a bit 11th hour, but there are some really compelling reports being shared on the Twitter right now. To make this plan work, every campus is going to cut costs (shed jobs). The job elimination plans at four schools will be the largest mass layoff in their respective county within the last decade. I know universities aren't there to keep people employed but there are only negative ripple effects when you remove good paying jobs from rural communities.
          The job loss sucks. It's terrible.

That said, the path to stopping this is the BOG voting it down or the gov putting pressure on them to stop it. It was obvious this whole time that there would have to be job loss for cost savings. Passhe is painting it as retirements will help offset layoffs. I don't see job losses as swaying the BOG or gov. Passhe employees are considered overpaid by some, and outside of the impacted communities...most Pennsylvanians don't care. People are desensitized to layoffs.

I think a more compelling case against this would be to go through the reports and challenge the numbers. Like oh all the sudden enrollment grows? Once those numbers aren't inflated, just staying the course and using sustainability plans look better. Also use what happened in Georgia.

And, look at the initial costs of this integration. Would that money be better spent paying down debt?

My 2 cents. I'm far from someone who engages in campaigns like this. But, to sway people, you need to use facts important to them.

That said, I think the board is mesmerized by Greenstein and his confidence in this...so I doubt they vote it down.

Comment

LOL ironically one of the suggestions for academic growth is the creation of a cannabis science certificate.

But yes, the 6 schools in question have nearly $470 million in construction debt. Mansfield owes the system $7 million in operational debt.
            Divided by ~14 million people living in the state of PA = $0.50 for every man, woman, or child in the state. That's in a year. Shame on the state legislature.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

That said, the path to stopping this is the BOG voting it down or the gov putting pressure on them to stop it. It was obvious this whole time that there would have to be job loss for cost savings. Passhe is painting it as retirements will help offset layoffs. I don't see job losses as swaying the BOG or gov. Passhe employees are considered overpaid by some, and outside of the impacted communities...most Pennsylvanians don't care. People are desensitized to layoffs.

I think a more compelling case against this would be to go through the reports and challenge the numbers. Like oh all the sudden enrollment grows? Once those numbers aren't inflated, just staying the course and using sustainability plans look better. Also use what happened in Georgia.

And, look at the initial costs of this integration. Would that money be better spent paying down debt?

My 2 cents. I'm far from someone who engages in campaigns like this. But, to sway people, you need to use facts important to them.

That said, I think the board is mesmerized by Greenstein and his confidence in this...so I doubt they vote it down.
              Including the ones that shows PA is 47th in funding?

And most people are desensitized to layoffs since most people are susceptible to them, save teachers and PASSHE.

Comment

Its a bit 11th hour, but there are some really compelling reports being shared on the Twitter right now. To make this plan work, every campus is going to cut costs (shed jobs). The job elimination plans at four schools will be the largest mass layoff in their respective county within the last decade. I know universities aren't there to keep people employed but there are only negative ripple effects when you remove good paying jobs from rural communities.
                Thank goodness you said that, because this guy's post from several months ago made PASSHE practically sound like a jobs program.

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Something I noticed that's important to note about those who think closing campuses is a good idea - these schools aren't just predominantly in rural areas, they're also in low earning communities who don't just need geographic access to post-secondary education but the schools are a major socioeconomic pillar.

When we close a physical campus, we create a geographic desert. The majority of students commute to nearly all PASSHE schools. If Clarion closes, residents have to drive 41 minutes to Penn State DuBois, 55 minutes to Slippery Rock, or 76 minutes to IUP. The local economies generally don't produce earners that can afford the cost of such daily commutes. Those hours driving also cut into the notion that one can/should "work their way through school."

But people can just attend online, right? Rural PA has a high speed internet problem, something required for online education. In Edinboro, PA, the local school district had to install wifi hubs to the perimeter of its schools so parents could drive up and get their kids internet access. In 2020, the state is still building cell phone towers so state police radios will work. No cell service most likely means no high speed internet access.

Economics and tax revenue is why these schools were converted to comprehensive schools. More education has a direct correlation to higher incomes - and thus more tax revenue. This is even more important as PA loses population. These schools aren't just economic engines, they're also economic pillars of their communities and counties. These schools also provide many good jobs (above average pay, excellent benefits) for workers without a degree. The most important benefits for this group are low cost health insurance, strong retirement plans, and tuition remission. In Chester County, the two PASSHE campuses together are the #14 employer. But most of these schools are in counties where people struggle. Half of the PASSHE schools are located in counties with a median household income below the state average. That includes Indiana. Of the six schools up for "integration", all six are located in these counties.

Bloomsburg (Columbia): #2
                Lock Haven (Clinton): #4
                Mansfield (Tioga): #4

California (Washington): #9
                Clarion (Clarion): #1
                Edinboro (Erie): #24

Comment

And, look at the initial costs of this integration. Would that money be better spent paying down debt?, but for all practical purposes

I'm convinced that there was no other path considered other than significant staff reductions, Greenstein's job was to come up with a way to do that that didn't look quite as harsh. At IUP I'd guess that retirements reduced the projected layoffs by about half. How it works in the future depends on future enrollments. Whether the merged cshools have that much buffer with older faculty , I don't know.

In the end they could have gone with pay cuts, more creative financing of the overbuilt Dorms, including state funding/backstops, etc, more state funding for students attending the PASSHE but there really is not the will to fix it in a sustainable way. There is a never ending supply of academics that think they can fix such problems with rearranging the deck chairs, and enjoy immensely the meetings and planning that goes with such rearrangements. By merging though, they can greatly reduce some schools without "closing" them but of course for all practical purposes, the schools exists in name only .

Comment

• I get the impression most people think these schools are all in danger of failing. In some cases the merger is a matter of geography or else any of the other sisters could have been dragged into this mess. How the hell did Slippery Rock get out from under the thumb?

Comment

• Could they put like a Disneyworld there? It's right off I-80.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Including the ones that shows PA is 47th in funding?

And most people are desensitized to layoffs since most people are susceptible to them, save teachers and PASSHE.
                        I don't think the 47th in state funding would sway the BOG to vote this down. They're all aware of it...just as they're aware that job loss will occur in this.

Actually, I think both of those things could make it more likely to push the Integrations.

Job losses were coming no matter what for some. The sustainability plans would have laid some off...just not this drastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I'm convinced that there was no other path considered other than significant staff reductions, Greenstein's job was to come up with a way to do that that didn't look quite as harsh. At IUP I'd guess that retirements reduced the projected layoffs by about half. How it works in the future depends on future enrollments. Whether the merged cshools have that much buffer with older faculty , I don't know.

In the end they could have gone with pay cuts, more creative financing of the overbuilt Dorms, including state funding/backstops, etc, more state funding for students attending the PASSHE but there really is not the will to fix it in a sustainable way. There is a never ending supply of academics that think they can fix such problems with rearranging the deck chairs, and enjoy immensely the meetings and planning that goes with such rearrangements. By merging though, they can greatly reduce some schools without "closing" them but of course for all practical purposes, the schools exists in name only .
                          Yep. And now they're just trying to put a pretty bow on it in a presentation. I hope they go over how they project enrollment increases, etc.

The problem with the attrition thing is it weakens depts. Like say an employee leaves in Dept A, they typically don't refill the position. Then the others absorb the work. At a certain point, quality falls. Some schools have done this for years. You can only cut so much. They'd likely be better assessing positions they don't need.

The kicker is, they want to cut all these employees AND grow. I don't see how that will be possible. You need a certain amount of faculty and staff to support growth.

Plus, I'd imagine some of the better employees will leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                            I get the impression most people think these schools are all in danger of failing. In some cases the merger is a matter of geography or else any of the other sisters could have been dragged into this mess. How the hell did Slippery Rock get out from under the thumb?
                            3 of the 6 I would say could fail soon without steps. Mansfield already had to borrow money.

If you get 3 schools having to borrow money from passhe, the system could fail.

But, most Penn State campuses lose money and the main campus sustains them...so I don't know. Maybe passhe needs to look at this different as opposed to having them all profitable.

Comment

• PERI Report- The Economic Impact of the PASSHE Employment Reductions

https://krc-pbpc.org/peri-report-the...ee-reductions/

Comment

3 of the 6 I would say could fail soon without steps. Mansfield already had to borrow money.

If you get 3 schools having to borrow money from passhe, the system could fail.

But, most Penn State campuses lose money and the main campus sustains them...so I don't know. Maybe passhe needs to look at this different as opposed to having them all profitable.
                                Sometimes a surgeon has to cut out parts, so that the healthy parts don't become diseased. PASSHE is trying to treat the problem, but may end up killing the patient.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X