• Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    https://www.readingeagle.com/2023/06...ersity-campus/

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    'Aggressive Cow' roaming the Kutztown campus per numerous media reports.

Can't make this stuff up.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I got a small bit of encouragement when I sat next to my super conservative local GOP state rep at a lunch meeting and he indicated he thought they should start worrying less about the state-related schools and more about the ones the state actually owns. Whether that will translate into any kind of action remains very much to be seen, but at least he seems to be thinking that way.
    The more closely the PASSHE becomes linked to workforce development, the more support it will get from the GOP.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s the GQP way. Shapiro needs to shore up the school the Commonwealth owns.
    I got a small bit of encouragement when I sat next to my super conservative local GOP state rep at a lunch meeting and he indicated he thought they should start worrying less about the state-related schools and more about the ones the state actually owns. Whether that will translate into any kind of action remains very much to be seen, but at least he seems to be thinking that way.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Not aware it was private. My bad. Whichever, it's in a bad position. West Virginia has long had low tuitions compared to many other states, and given the state of the W.Va. economy I can't believe they're getting a ton of state aid.

I see there is some opposition in Harrisburg to more aid to the state-related universities — Penn State, Pitt, etc. One of the objections was rising tuition. I wanted to grab some of those people through the television screen and point out that the PASSHE system has held the line on tuition for several years now — some more funding would be nice. But the operative political method now is to knock the foundation out from under systems and then complain that they don't work.
    It’s the GQP way. Shapiro needs to shore up the school the Commonwealth owns.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    But the operative political method now is to knock the foundation out from under systems and then complain that they don't work.
    That's a keen observation.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

AB is private. But also in that state, WVU has a FORTY FIVE MILLION budget deficit. They're cutting over 130 positions and several grad programs.
    Not aware it was private. My bad. Whichever, it's in a bad position. West Virginia has long had low tuitions compared to many other states, and given the state of the W.Va. economy I can't believe they're getting a ton of state aid.

I see there is some opposition in Harrisburg to more aid to the state-related universities — Penn State, Pitt, etc. One of the objections was rising tuition. I wanted to grab some of those people through the television screen and point out that the PASSHE system has held the line on tuition for several years now — some more funding would be nice. But the operative political method now is to knock the foundation out from under systems and then complain that they don't work.

Leave a comment:

• IUsuallyPonder
    replied
    Alderson Broaddus is on life support. The state higher ed commission has questioned its ability to award degrees due to enrollment & finances. AB is down to 500 undergrads and 170 grad students.
    Sounds similar to Thiel College. How that tiny school in Greenville still exists blows my mind. Not too far off from them would have to be Saint Francis.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Alderson Broaddus is on life support. The state higher ed commission has questioned its ability to award degrees due to enrollment & finances. AB is down to 500 undergrads and 170 grad students.
    Athletes must be more than half the enrollment. Sounds like the dying days of Urbana.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Yeah, you're not going to be able to operate a campus and hire much of a faculty with numbers like those. PASSHE is not the only state system with problem children.
    AB is private. But also in that state, WVU has a FORTY FIVE MILLION budget deficit. They're cutting over 130 positions and several grad programs.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Yeah, you're not going to be able to operate a campus and hire much of a faculty with numbers like those. PASSHE is not the only state system with problem children.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Very few if any and probably because they've been consolidating everything to University Park like the law school and before that the forestry school from Mont Alto. They've invested in national, out of state recruitment and found students who maybe would have attended second tier like Villanova or Duquesne. In spite of the $5 billion endowment, they give very little financial aid, so that's $32k a year for every Johnny CB West to choose PSU over Nova.
    Central Bucks families can afford it!

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I wonder how many are getting in as freshmen at Main Campus now in Centre County that would have been pushed to a branch their first two years in the past. That’s probably a large reason why the outlet store campuses are bleeding.

The Penn State graduate building in Great Valkey is looking a little raggedy in the outside. I remember when it was brand new 30 years ago. It sat across from the former Mobil Oil building I worked it that was built in 1990.
    Very few if any and probably because they've been consolidating everything to University Park like the law school and before that the forestry school from Mont Alto. They've invested in national, out of state recruitment and found students who maybe would have attended second tier like Villanova or Duquesne. In spite of the $5 billion endowment, they give very little financial aid, so that's $32k a year for every Johnny CB West to choose PSU over Nova.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    PASSHE down 29% since the 2010 peak.

Pitt outlet store branches down 36%.

Penn State outlet store branches down 30%.

https://triblive.com/local/valley-ne...d-to-continue/
    I wonder how many are getting in as freshmen at Main Campus now in Centre County that would have been pushed to a branch their first two years in the past. That’s probably a large reason why the outlet store campuses are bleeding.

The Penn State graduate building in Great Valkey is looking a little raggedy in the outside. I remember when it was brand new 30 years ago. It sat across from the former Mobil Oil building I worked it that was built in 1990.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X