X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ashland has a lot of heavy hitter donors -- many in powerful positions within Ohio. This is a big job opening (if he indeed is retiring today).

They have a great following (filled up almost the entire visiting side at Miller last week).
    Their AD is from Armstrong County and graduated from Mansfield & IUP. He worked in IUP athletics & at the IG many years ago. But you're right - they are able to sell a vision for small college football in rural Ohio from wealthy donors under the shadow of Ohio State.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Looks like the rain will be in Indiana from about midnight to 2 p.m. tomorrow. So, a good chunk of it shouldn't have rain.

It will be windy all day with 10-20 mph winds expected. In Miller, those speeds increase.

So, not quite as bad as we thought. Temperature will be a non-issue in the low 50s.
    The juggernaut will be unstoppable.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

They should still be competitive. Just like previously said, they have money and a good recruiting area.
    Correct. They aren't going to become Clarion by next September. But, I don't think they'll be near the level of team we just saw.

Contrary, Tort is going to be pretty loaded next year. He has some portal holes to fill but not too many.

Also consider Lockhart and Fowler return -- and the long-lost DL from TJ who has been hyped up for years but hasn't played a snap yet. So, those are three big additions right there. Ashland will also be having its new QB make his first start at Miller against what should be a very strong D.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

They were built up for this year with a lot of upperclassmen. They weren't going to be the same come their visit next September. If this leads to portal exits (usually does) ... that game may lose some luster.
    They should still be competitive. Just like previously said, they have money and a good recruiting area.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I haven't seen anything that says what their funding level is at. The only reason its discussed so much here is that nearly all PSAC members are state-owned so this info is public info and part of the conference culture. I know the privates HATE that this info gets out there.

Privates provide discounts up to 36 equivalencies and for whatever reason they tend to have trouble maximizing the dollar value vs the publics. It has been a while since a private has won a natty (1989) let alone played in the game (2013). In fact only two privates have ever won a D2 championship: Lehigh in 1977 (when FCS was D2) and Mississippi College in 1989.
    Ashland has a lot of heavy hitter donors -- many in powerful positions within Ohio. This is a big job opening (if he indeed is retiring today).

They have a great following (filled up almost the entire visiting side at Miller last week).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That could change the next 4 years in that IUP/Ashland series.
    They were built up for this year with a lot of upperclassmen. They weren't going to be the same come their visit next September. If this leads to portal exits (usually does) ... that game may lose some luster.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Ashland might be the best opening in the entire Region. Recruiting area is good, stadium/facilities are really top notch for D2, and from what I recall they are fully funded as well right? I'd imagine they are going to get a ton of interest.
    I haven't seen anything that says what their funding level is at. The only reason its discussed so much here is that nearly all PSAC members are state-owned so this info is public info and part of the conference culture. I know the privates HATE that this info gets out there.

Privates provide discounts up to 36 equivalencies and for whatever reason they tend to have trouble maximizing the dollar value vs the publics. It has been a while since a private has won a natty (1989) let alone played in the game (2013). In fact only two privates have ever won a D2 championship: Lehigh in 1977 (when FCS was D2) and Mississippi College in 1989.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    There's a rumor circulating in the Twitter world that Ashland's Lee Owens may be retiring. He has a press conference scheduled for 1 p.m. today.

He's 66 so I'd say it's pretty unlikely he's taking another job. His Wikipedia page is actually already calling him the 'former' HC at Ashland.
    Ashland might be the best opening in the entire Region. Recruiting area is good, stadium/facilities are really top notch for D2, and from what I recall they are fully funded as well right? I'd imagine they are going to get a ton of interest.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    There's a rumor circulating in the Twitter world that Ashland's Lee Owens may be retiring. He has a press conference scheduled for 1 p.m. today.

He's 66 so I'd say it's pretty unlikely he's taking another job. His Wikipedia page is actually already calling him the 'former' HC at Ashland.
    That could change the next 4 years in that IUP/Ashland series.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Looks like the rain will be in Indiana from about midnight to 2 p.m. tomorrow. So, a good chunk of it shouldn't have rain.

It will be windy all day with 10-20 mph winds expected. In Miller, those speeds increase.

So, not quite as bad as we thought. Temperature will be a non-issue in the low 50s.
    Should be a non issue I agree. Turnovers and sustaining drives will be the winning formula tomorrow, as it is almost always for evenly matched teams.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by GregD View Post

For a long time, fans in the Midwest and South argued that having one team from each region cheats better teams from their regions.
    I am sure most of them still think this. For the most part they are correct.
    Win the games in front of you if you want to be the best!

Leave a comment:

• GregD
    replied

And, most would probably argue the two best are playing each other this weekend. So, one of them is gone.
    For a long time, fans in the Midwest and South argued that having one team from each region cheats better teams from their regions.
    I am sure most of them still think this. For the most part they are correct.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

You obviously are forgetting the Grand Valley team that destroyed the Eyerman lead IUP team. Grand Valley made that IUP squad look like the were a lowly single A high school team.
    “…may have been the best…” Obviously that Grand Valley team was great too, and there have been other dominant teams. Just my opinion. Ferris didn’t play a competitive game in the playoffs. The closest margin was 21 in the first round, and after that the margins were 49 in the semis and 41 in the final. That 2002 Grand Valley team pulled out the title game with just over a minute left over Valdosta State. That was one of the better National Championship games ever.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X