X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I’ll gladly eat the crow later this week, but I’m having a hard time believing the Rams are just inferior on the line play. IMO it was just their worst game of the season. They can move IUP off the ball and they’ll need to at times in order to move to the next round.

I don’t think it needs fixed, just needs opportunity. Brown must have 20-25 touches, otherwise I don’t know what they are doing. Bagent will be that much better if they just give it a chance… which they have the last 2 weeks and Brown has dominated.
    I absolutely agree with EyeoftheHawk. The line play on both sides of the ball was significant in the first game. I wouldn't expect that to be different. On the other hand, Shepherd has a potential 2-time Harlon Hill winner. Should be just as interesting as the first matchup.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Interesting to see Shep fans in the IUP thread arguing with each other. I hope we’re not rubbing off on y’all.

It’s still a few days from Saturday so the forecast can change. One thing I do expect is for the Rams to at least attempt to run way more than in game one. That said, if you watch the game back you’ll see the real issue is the Shep O-line couldn’t get a push and as I mentioned after that game, that’s not something you fix in a few weeks time. It’s all about Johnny and Jimmy in the trenches and both lines of scrimmage were controlled by IUP. The combination of that, plus falling behind, is why the ball was in the air so much.

I do believe IUP will have an advantage in bad weather, plus, Brown is back and will be at or at least close to 100%. Based on how he caught the ball in the downpour against Slippery Rock, it doesn’t seem like the weather impacts him. Sexton also seems to throw the ball well in the rain.
    I’ll gladly eat the crow later this week, but I’m having a hard time believing the Rams are just inferior on the line play. IMO it was just their worst game of the season. They can move IUP off the ball and they’ll need to at times in order to move to the next round.

I don’t think it needs fixed, just needs opportunity. Brown must have 20-25 touches, otherwise I don’t know what they are doing. Bagent will be that much better if they just give it a chance… which they have the last 2 weeks and Brown has dominated.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Interesting to see Shep fans in the IUP thread arguing with each other. I hope we’re not rubbing off on y’all.

It’s still a few days from Saturday so the forecast can change. One thing I do expect is for the Rams to at least attempt to run way more than in game one. That said, if you watch the game back you’ll see the real issue is the Shep O-line couldn’t get a push and as I mentioned after that game, that’s not something you fix in a few weeks time. It’s all about Johnny and Jimmy in the trenches and both lines of scrimmage were controlled by IUP. The combination of that, plus falling behind, is why the ball was in the air so much.

I do believe IUP will have an advantage in bad weather, plus, Brown is back and will be at or at least close to 100%. Based on how he caught the ball in the downpour against Slippery Rock, it doesn’t seem like the weather impacts him. Sexton also seems to throw the ball well in the rain.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Don't forget us fans. We gotta sit in that sh!t again for 4 hours lol. It will at least be much warmer. I think even with the rain it's going to be in the high 50s. That's pretty sweet for December in Indiana.

I know EyeoftheHawk has talked about it on here ... but, that SRU game this year was insanity. I had a full rain suit and was still 100% drenched. The rain and wind -- in particular the whole second half -- changed directions about every 2 minutes. Duane Brown made plays in that game that I still have no idea how he caught all those balls. Miller Stadium is kind of right in a natural wind tunnel and both ends are wide open so there's nothing there blocking it. Sexton's second pick last weekend certainly got hung up in it. It was one of the rare routes he has to throw kind of a lob pass (by his standards) instead of his normal 100 mph fastballs.
    Maple Street was always a wind tunnel. I walked many a day heading towards my room in Oakland Hall going against fierce winds on that street.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I know it sounds like we are making excuses for the loss and potentially another loss due to weather. Both teams have to play in it for sure and the better team will prevail. It's just somewhat obvious that both teams are designed and built a certain way, and IUP doesn't seem to be as affected by it.
    Don't forget us fans. We gotta sit in that sh!t again for 4 hours lol. It will at least be much warmer. I think even with the rain it's going to be in the high 50s. That's pretty sweet for December in Indiana.

I know EyeoftheHawk has talked about it on here ... but, that SRU game this year was insanity. I had a full rain suit and was still 100% drenched. The rain and wind -- in particular the whole second half -- changed directions about every 2 minutes. Duane Brown made plays in that game that I still have no idea how he caught all those balls. Miller Stadium is kind of right in a natural wind tunnel and both ends are wide open so there's nothing there blocking it. Sexton's second pick last weekend certainly got hung up in it. It was one of the rare routes he has to throw kind of a lob pass (by his standards) instead of his normal 100 mph fastballs.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

This may also be IUP's third bad weather game this year so they should be used to it. The IUP/Rock game was way worse conditions than the IUP/Shep game.

But, as they say, it rains on both benches.
    I know it sounds like we are making excuses for the loss and potentially another loss due to weather. Both teams have to play in it for sure and the better team will prevail. It's just somewhat obvious that both teams are designed and built a certain way, and IUP doesn't seem to be as affected by it.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by RamPride View Post

Duh…therefore no balance.
    Your quote was "Shepherd won’t be able to sustain balance on offense." Weather didn't have anything to do with the balance shown in that last game.

That isn't because of the weather, it's because they completely abandoned the run game. Why throw it 56 times in a rain storm if your receivers are struggling with drops? Why throw it nearly every down and not just hand it off to the most explosive player in the country? This is a play calling issue from that game, and I'm encouraged as it has gotten better so far in the 2 playoff rounds thus far. Just need to keep it going for this game and really it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish as the weather should dictate that it is ill advised to throw it 50+ times in a tight game.

This is football 101, if you force them to at least respect the run game by calling the play even if its for short or no gain THEY MUST RESPECT IT. It'll open up the rest of the offense simply by running the play. Completely abandoning it like our last visit up there, and the Rams lose again.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Teams this time of year have established identities and IUP identity trumps Shepherds identity in bad weather. IUP has physical RB’s, Shepherd does not. Passing games fail in bad weather…it’s not rocket science..if there is a lot of rain Saturday the clear favorite is IUP..
    This may also be IUP's third bad weather game this year so they should be used to it. The IUP/Rock game was way worse conditions than the IUP/Shep game.

But, as they say, it rains on both benches.

Leave a comment:

• RamPride
    replied
    Teams this time of year have established identities and IUP identity trumps Shepherds identity in bad weather. IUP has physical RB’s, Shepherd does not. Passing games fail in bad weather…it’s not rocket science..if there is a lot of rain Saturday the clear favorite is IUP..

Leave a comment:

• RamPride
    replied

Balance? You threw 500 times in the rain to WRs who couldn't catch the ball?
    Duh…therefore no balance.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    [QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;n724044]

IUP won. Had Team Tort lost, the crowd would have been the reason (or, the excuse). I guarantee that much.

Saturday is projecting to be another weather crap show. So, it could be another bad crowd on the home side. But, the band being there makes up for it.

However, the first Shepherd game had a relatively small home side but it was a very engaged group.

As of now this is going to be another wet one -- at times perhaps heavy rain and windy. So, saddle up.

IUP needs to do everything possible to appease the Rain Gods. Sacrifice a chicken .. whatever it takes. LOL. They need the worst possible weather in this game.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a bucket of KFC.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Been to a ton of football games in my life and crowds don’t matter in the rain. The weather will decide this game again. Advantage IUP obviously because Shepherd won’t be able to sustain balance on offense.
    Balance? You threw 500 times in the rain to WRs who couldn't catch the ball?

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Been to a ton of football games in my life and crowds don’t matter in the rain. The weather will decide this game again. Advantage IUP obviously because Shepherd won’t be able to sustain balance on offense.
    This is a ridiculous post. The Rams can't sustain balance because of the weather? It was pouring the entire game and we ran the ball 8 times! That's horrendous play calling period. Under no circumstances should the run pass ratio in a terrible weather game be 8:56.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It's just tiring how anything involving IUP is some major deal but every other school gets a pass.

IUP doesn't play an OOC game and it was discussed on here like it was the end of the world by everyone. It didn't hurt them.

IUP didn't draw well for one game...it somehow defines our fanbase yet most every playoff game last weekend did not draw well...but only IUP it's a major issue.

Let the Shepherd fans be all smug because they drew the biggest crowd last weekend. Who cares...let them put up a banner for it.
    Considering 80% of the posters are IUP faithful, Everyone would be your own more times than not. Others like myself are just asking you guys questions wondering because we don't know the other backstory on why support there is so hot and cold.

We aren't interested in an attendance banner, but yes Rams fans are proud of the support there is for the team. More interested in another Regional Championship banner and then see what happens from there. (cue the nightmares from last year)

This weather situation is horses%$&, potentially the 2 worst weather days of the season happen to be against the Red Chickens. Good teams find a way, but its frustrating considering how the Rams offense plays.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Agree with you. The university was technically closed for a holiday weekend where 90% of students who live on campus or in town go home for the weekend except for those who have to work or can't/won't go home. I wonder if it bothered anyone in Athletics that the band wasn't there - or would they understand that it was a holiday weekend where the tradition is spending time with friends & family? Grand Valley's attendance showed it as well. They'll be back to 14k this week. The difference is the atmosphere attracts people - especially students.
    Last week is history. Go IUP!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X