X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Mercyhurst usually brings its band to IUP.

They play actual football songs so it's a nice diversion from the IUP symphony orchestra.
    We have a new director. So maybe you will be surprised.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

They are stocked with young OL.

Biggest thing tomorrow is to avoid this Miller Stadium daze or fog or whatever the heck they want to call it.

Going back to last year, they've played four straight away from home.

They often looked (I'll be polite) disinterested at home last year. Hopefully that's in the past.
    Regardless of where they play, Sexton is a long way from home. I don't think the location is going to be a factor.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think they have talented back ups on the OL. It's just that they haven't played much. If needed, I think they could move Shugarts back to offense.
    They are stocked with young OL.

Biggest thing tomorrow is to avoid this Miller Stadium daze or fog or whatever the heck they want to call it.

Going back to last year, they've played four straight away from home.

They often looked (I'll be polite) disinterested at home last year. Hopefully that's in the past.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Those aren't exactly pine-riders.

Comedy is a big problem. The OL is very thin beyond the starting group. I'd guess Carter will play. Sounds like he almost went last week.

You'd sure think if Houser goes they'll be extremely careful with him -- i.e. very few carries. I'd love to see him get through one game. It would probably do wonders for his confidence.
    I think they have talented back ups on the OL. It's just that they haven't played much. If needed, I think they could move Shugarts back to offense.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

They play actual football songs so it's a nice diversion from the IUP symphony orchestra.
    Well, there is a new Band director, and they are not an interim Director so they can make changes if they want. so maybe there's some hope, we'll see on Saturday.

https://www.wccsradio.com/2022/06/03...band-director/

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Several PSAC teams have very young or inexperienced lines due to Covid eligibility extensions. IUP is very fortunate to have a lot of their linemen as experienced returners. Would have made the season rather disastrous.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Matt's article in the IG below. Note that Houser, Carter, Comedy, and Suman are questionable for Saturday. Hopefully, they are all available for SRU. If Comedy doesn't go on Saturday, it will be interesting to see who starts in his place.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...fd60e5a25.html
    Those aren't exactly pine-riders.

Comedy is a big problem. The OL is very thin beyond the starting group. I'd guess Carter will play. Sounds like he almost went last week.

You'd sure think if Houser goes they'll be extremely careful with him -- i.e. very few carries. I'd love to see him get through one game. It would probably do wonders for his confidence.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Matt's article in the IG below. Note that Houser, Carter, Comedy, and Suman are questionable for Saturday. Hopefully, they are all available for SRU. If Comedy doesn't go on Saturday, it will be interesting to see who starts in his place.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...fd60e5a25.html

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by playersdad View Post
    yes, Lowery (QB) should play Sat against IUP. I've saw a variety of teams this season so far. MU passing looks a little weak with davison out. Running game and offensive line has improved over last year. I expect IUP to score 50, MU rarely travels well. Unrelated, been most impressed with Gannon over the other teams I've saw this season.

Leave a comment:

• playersdad
    replied
    yes, Lowery (QB) should play Sat against IUP. I've saw a variety of teams this season so far. MU passing looks a little weak with davison out. Running game and offensive line has improved over last year. I expect IUP to score 50, MU rarely travels well. Unrelated, been most impressed with Gannon over the other teams I've saw this season.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Just remember, nothing is going to get the team more excited tomorrow than looking up in to the stands and seeing all the fans wearing IUP gear from the CO-OP Store.

So, go buy a couple $50 tee-shirts today and do your part.

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Here is some data. There are some anomalies, but for the most part the bad teams usually lead the league in opponent penalties.

2002: SRU (7-4)
    2003: Cheyney (2-9)
    2004: SRU (4-7)
    2005: Clarion (3-7)
    2006: Cheyney (0-11)
    2007: Cheyney (1-10)
    2008: Lock Haven (0-11)
    2009: Lock Haven (0-10)
    2010: CW Post (7-4)
    2011: Millersville (3-8)
    2012: Millersville (2-9)
    2013: Gannon (6-5)
    2014: Cheyney (0-11)
    2015: Clarion (7-4)
    2016: Clarion (4-7)
    2017: SRU (8-3)
    2018: Clarion (4-7)
    2019: Clarion (3-8)
    2021: Clarion (0-11)
    Interesting looks like some of the zebras went to Clarion, ha ha.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Singing to the choir, noticed that in this League 20 years ago. Go up and the flags start flying. It’s a travesty.
    Here is some data. There are some anomalies, but for the most part the bad teams usually lead the league in opponent penalties.

2002: SRU (7-4)
    2003: Cheyney (2-9)
    2004: SRU (4-7)
    2005: Clarion (3-7)
    2006: Cheyney (0-11)
    2007: Cheyney (1-10)
    2008: Lock Haven (0-11)
    2009: Lock Haven (0-10)
    2010: CW Post (7-4)
    2011: Millersville (3-8)
    2012: Millersville (2-9)
    2013: Gannon (6-5)
    2014: Cheyney (0-11)
    2015: Clarion (7-4)
    2016: Clarion (4-7)
    2017: SRU (8-3)
    2018: Clarion (4-7)
    2019: Clarion (3-8)
    2021: Clarion (0-11)

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

The other side of the coin is also interesting. The teams that get the most penalties called on their opponents tend to be (but not always) the bad teams. Through 3 weeks this season, Shippensburg, East Stroudsburg, Millersville and Seton Hill benefit the most from penalties (IUP is 5th) while Slippery Rock is 9th, Kutztown is 15th and Shepherd is dead last.

I researched this once and found that for many years, the team that had the most penalties called on their opponents was either Lock Haven or Cheyney.

Maybe someone else can conclude otherwise, but to me, this says that the refs sometimes feel bad when a team is down 49-0 in the third quarter.
    Singing to the choir, noticed that in this League 20 years ago. Go up and the flags start flying. It’s a travesty.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Some interesting numbers looking deeper in to Mercyhurst:

This year:
    Opponent MU 1st Half Points Scored 2nd Half Points Scored
    AB 31 14
    Lock Haven 6 43
    Kutztown 24 7

Last (4) games against IUP:
    vs. IUP Lakers' 2nd half points scored
    21 0
    19 0
    18 0
    17 0

This years results are showing you're going to get one really strong half from Mercyhurst (offensively). Kutztown figured something out at halftime. The Lakers were moving the ball at will in the first half. KU scored 33 of its 50 points in the second half. Mercyhurst was (amazingly) losing to Lock Haven at halftime, 7-6. Then, of course, exploded for 43 in the second half. My hunch is they showed up for LH, went through the motions and then got the riot act at halftime from the HC. Both of their first two opponents were awful so those games can only tell you so much.

So, the question is can this years team put together a full 60 minutes? We haven't seen it yet. But, they've been very strong for half of each game.

And, talking about adjustments, the Lakers have not scored a second half point against IUP in the Tort Era.
    Is there any word on whether their QB Lowery will be playing ? Wasn't he injured last week. If #2 is playing it could be a tough day for them.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X