X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Police response was about as fast as it could have been. There were officers already on the way to check out the noise complaint when the shooting got called in so they were there in less than five minutes. From what I understand, it was (and continues to be) handled well. It would only take the suspects a minute or two to be on the bypass and headed out of town before law enforcement could even begin to know where to block roads, etc., especially if people at the scene aren’t talking.

We also have to allow that these investigations take time. They may very well have the suspects lined up and are preparing to make an arrest. This may be why we’re not hearing anything from the PSP at the moment. Once there’s an arrest made, we’ll know. Even when they have suspects lined up it can still take weeks before they have what they need to make an arrest. It’s frustrating for the public, but it is what it is.
    I think that's all pretty true. Like I said, I am not that knowledgeable about this sort of thing. This just made me think of a road rage incident a few years ago around where Rte. 100 merges onto Rt. 322 just to the east of West Chester. A guy felt a woman cut him off on the highway so he pulled up beside her and shot her from his car. She veered off the road and died. It was a shocking incident. I'm sure 'Nation remembers it. They were able to ID the guy from a camera outside a business 3 miles away. They combined the description of the suspect and his car as well as the time stamp on the camera and nailed the guy. I thought it was amazing. The techniques are pretty sophisticated these days.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I have to think there is an anti-snitch mentality at play there.

Also, there are not that many ways to drive out of Indiana. I ain't no expert but the police response was probably inadequate.
    Police response was about as fast as it could have been. There were officers already on the way to check out the noise complaint when the shooting got called in so they were there in less than five minutes. From what I understand, it was (and continues to be) handled well. It would only take the suspects a minute or two to be on the bypass and headed out of town before law enforcement could even begin to know where to block roads, etc., especially if people at the scene aren’t talking.

We also have to allow that these investigations take time. They may very well have the suspects lined up and are preparing to make an arrest. This may be why we’re not hearing anything from the PSP at the moment. Once there’s an arrest made, we’ll know. Even when they have suspects lined up it can still take weeks before they have what they need to make an arrest. It’s frustrating for the public, but it is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• SRU 88
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That is an enormous bond amount for criminal trespass (typically $1k to $3k).

it was unsecured. When bond is unsecured you don't have to post any money.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Also, there are not that many ways to drive out of Indiana. I ain't no expert but the police response was probably inadequate.
    It's just very odd. The victims weren't local so perhaps that is why the local media isn't covering it more. Indiana isn't exactly a news hotbed. The Gazette is usually littered with boring borough council meeting reports and the like.

They did say they had a suspect weeks ago but didn't elaborate any more. Is this person holed up in a basement in town, what's he look like, etc. Of course, they don't always share the details, but some media push for updates would be nice.

When homicide charges start flying I don't know how strong the anti-snitch sentiment is. They can really crank up the pressure. You're going in at 21 and coming out at 71.

But, you're right so far. With 'numerous' shooters, they won't all stay quiet forever.

It's just very strange that it's like a forgotten story.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

They should be in the race every year. Tort has loads more resources than most of the league. For instance, he has 20-ish more scholarships than Edinboro. That should never be a close game. Edinboro is just coached better -- details, discipline, etc.
    Agreed. IUP should be in the race (AT A MINIMUM) every year.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

It won't amount to anything. Slap on the wrist and suspended for a game. Let's just say he's likely to have program-friendly representation, etc. It will be plead down to next to nothing and we'll never hear about it again.

Speaking of never hearing anything, I'm shocked there are still no arrests in the 'homecoming' shooting. That's amazingly a completely ignored story in the media, too. I mean there hasn't been a local story on it in two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

2nd degree felony criminal trespass is breaking into a building or structure could be anything. The second charge, 2nd degree misdemeanor criminal mischief - tampering with property definitely gives some specific possibilities. He broke into somewhere or something (like a shed or garage) and messed around with something. Probably entered a fenced in area or shed/garage that was locked then messed with cable, internet, etc.

IUPbigINDIANS you should pay the money to get a copy of the complaint from the magistrate's office lol
    It won't amount to anything. Slap on the wrist and suspended for a game. Let's just say he's likely to have program-friendly representation, etc. It will be plead down to next to nothing and we'll never hear about it again.

Speaking of never hearing anything, I'm shocked there are still no arrests in the 'homecoming' shooting. That's amazingly a completely ignored story in the media, too. I mean there hasn't been a local story on it in two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

So, what are the legalities associated with these charges?

Criminal trespass is not the same as burglary (drastically less, if any, time up state). The article did state he 'broke in' to the residence. Recall last year we had a player kick in a door. I suppose that, too, was considered breaking in.

Based on the time (230am), I would hope he was just drunk as a skunk and wanted to crash a party. It could be as simple as the door was locked and he wanted inside. Of course, they obviously did call the police. He is quite a big dude.

I can say the accused is not a bad young man. Quite the opposite, actually, which makes this even worse.

Hopefully he can get this cleared up, do some community service and move along. The justice system works quite differently in Indiana for star athletes. Keep that in mind.

Not that it matters much, but I beleive Tort suspended Stewart just one game last year (naturally the game they lost in Erie).
    2nd degree felony criminal trespass is breaking into a building or structure could be anything. The second charge, 2nd degree misdemeanor criminal mischief - tampering with property definitely gives some specific possibilities. He broke into somewhere or something (like a shed or garage) and messed around with something. Probably entered a fenced in area or shed/garage that was locked then messed with cable, internet, etc.

IUPbigINDIANS you should pay the money to get a copy of the complaint from the magistrate's office lol

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I think we should be. We are IUP. We should be demanding Sutton Hall to make it that we are back to destroying everyone in our path.

I don't want to be entertained by close games with regional rivals.

I want weekly blowout wins and stomp downs of the opposition.

I hate close games. I like it when my team has it won by halftime or earlier.
    They should be in the race every year. Tort has loads more resources than most of the league. For instance, he has 20-ish more scholarships than Edinboro. That should never be a close game. Edinboro is just coached better -- details, discipline, etc.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

I don't think anybody actually expects them to win the Region yearly. .
    I think we should be. We are IUP. We should be demanding Sutton Hall to make it that we are back to destroying everyone in our path.

I don't want to be entertained by close games with regional rivals.

I want weekly blowout wins and stomp downs of the opposition.

I hate close games. I like it when my team has it won by halftime or earlier.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Regarding the upside…I imagine the sell gets incrementally tougher the worse the season and off-the-field nonsense pops up. If I’m a talented young kid looking for a new home and I want to win, I’d certainly be looking at Slippery Rock, Shepherd, Kutztown, Cal, and even ESU before IUP. They all currently have more upside, better facilities, and equally quality education (cue IUPNation and the gym teacher comments, LOL).
    Yeah...they are all glorified high schools and our campus is far nicer than all of theirs combined.

:-)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

What stood out to me was the bond amount. That tells me it was more than just a little misunderstanding or accidentally being locked out.

Kids make mistakes and a lot of them are “good” kids for the most part that just have a lapse in judgement. We’ll see how it plays out but this gets back to the leadership comments earlier in the thread. Being out at 2:30 AM and breaking in to places is not leadership, or conducting yourself as a responsible human being. It should also be pointed out that he’s 21, so one of the older players on the team that should know better. It’s a pretty quick turnaround on the preliminary hearing so we’ll have a pretty good indication of where this is going soon.
    That is an enormous bond amount for criminal trespass (typically $1k to $3k).

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Criminal trespass is not the same as burglary (drastically less, if any, time up state). The article did state he 'broke in' to the residence. Recall last year we had a player kick in a door. I suppose that, too, was considered breaking in.

Based on the time (230am), I would hope he was just drunk as a skunk and wanted to crash a party. It could be as simple as the door was locked and he wanted inside. Of course, they obviously did call the police. He is quite a big dude.

I can say the accused is not a bad young man. Quite the opposite, actually, which makes this even worse.

Hopefully he can get this cleared up, do some community service and move along. The justice system works quite differently in Indiana for star athletes. Keep that in mind.

Not that it matters much, but I beleive Tort suspended Stewart just one game last year (naturally the game they lost in Erie).
    What stood out to me was the bond amount. That tells me it was more than just a little misunderstanding or accidentally being locked out.

Kids make mistakes and a lot of them are “good” kids for the most part that just have a lapse in judgement. We’ll see how it plays out but this gets back to the leadership comments earlier in the thread. Being out at 2:30 AM and breaking in to places is not leadership, or conducting yourself as a responsible human being. It should also be pointed out that he’s 21, so one of the older players on the team that should know better. It’s a pretty quick turnaround on the preliminary hearing so we’ll have a pretty good indication of where this is going soon.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They're going to experience what some schools like Clarion and Edinboro are experiencing now. Your most enthusiastic supporters don't have a lot of cash to give and most others aren't of generations that are likely to donate to their schools.
    I think the 40-60 age bracket is donating across the parking lot in the KCAC. That should be where they are focusing efforts to try to get program funds, while also finding ways to energize more young people to gain interest in the program.

Show students and young alumni a reason to be interested in the program and they are more likely to donate later. But as we’ve discussed at length, the “getting the students interested” part is an uphill battle.
    Last edited by IUP24; 10-26-2023, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Some players respond to bad losses by spending a little extra time in the film room, or maybe taking out their frustration by throwing around some weights or doing drills well into the night. Others relieve the pressure by breaking and entering. From the Indiana Gazette:

On Sunday at 2:22 a.m., according to Indiana Borough Police, a [prominent IUP football player], of Indiana, broke into an occupied residence along the 200 block of South Seventh Street. [The player] was arraigned Sunday morning before Blairsville Magisterial District Judge Robert Steele Bell Sr. on criminal trespass and criminal mischief charges and released on $20,000 unsecured bond pending a preliminary hearing on Nov. 8 at 9 a.m.

I excluded the name in the 1% chance it’s someone else with the same name and age, but you can find it in today’s crime and punishment section. Must have been pretty serious to require $20,000 bond. Innocent until proven guilty, of course.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X